Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

boosted board or similar in ireland?

Options
  • 29-06-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to try out, and perhaps buy an electric skate board in Ireland?

Anyone with any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tdmoran

Hi, after a year of waiting my boosted board arrived day before yesterday. Not cheap but worth every penny. Great for flying around Dublin. I've done 50km already and am addicted. Can't recommend it higher.
    jogdish wrote: »
    Anyone know where to try out, and perhaps buy an electric skate board in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Where did you buy from, import charges? Is there anyway to try one before you buy in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that you need type approval, driving licence, insurance and NCT if used in a public place. You need motor tax, but likely at the zero rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are several "e-bikes" around that also count as "motor powered vehicles" and thus the full legislation but the gardai will never enforce it, they cant even manage red lights or bus lanes. Same goes for electric scooters and one wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

ED E wrote: »
    There are several "e-bikes" around that also count as "motor powered vehicles" and thus the full legislation but the gardai will never enforce it, they cant even manage red lights or bus lanes. Same goes for electric scooters and one wheels.

All of the rickshaws that are breaking every traffic law in Dublin now have electric motors and I'm pretty sure they're not insured or taxed!!

How are they getting away with this? Considering they are carrying passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a subtle difference here - a rickshaw with an electric motor which needs to be pedalled to run (i.e. the motor boosts the pedalling) is a different beast legally from one which does not need to be pedalled - one which does not need to be pedalled is considered a motorised vehicle and falls under normal motorised vehicle law. ones which do need to be pedalled but cannot exceed 25km/h are basically considered e-bikes, AFAIK, and are not legally regulated.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/nta-laws-to-regulate-rickshaws-are-unworkable-445559.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

tdmoran wrote: »
    Hi, after a year of waiting my boosted board arrived day before yesterday. Not cheap but worth every penny. Great for flying around Dublin. I've done 50km already and am addicted. Can't recommend it higher.

Are you still ripping around Dublin on this? Any hassle from the Gardai? I looked into buying one of these summer 2016 but I chickened out because I was concerned about it falling under "mechanically propelled vehicle" regulation and getting it taken off me.

Are you still ripping around Dublin on this? Any hassle from the Gardai? I looked into buying one of these summer 2016 but I chickened out because I was concerned about it falling under "mechanically propelled vehicle" regulation and getting it taken off me.

Losing the board is the least of your worries, the fines you'd be hit with would be 2x as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mikecondon93

jogdish wrote: »

So I just got the board. You can't buy it in ireland and to actually but the 2nd gen dual plus it costs 2000dollars including 370dollar vat.

I enjoy using it in parks to get use to it. If you get it don't try out the max speed as your balance won't be great even if you are pro. I fell at max speed in a park so eco mode is what everyone uses which is like 16-19km per hour.

It's a great board and reliable compared to a lot of other boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mikecondon93

Victor wrote: »
    Realise that you need type approval, driving licence, insurance and NCT if used in a public place. You need motor tax, but likely at the zero rate.

Since when. Top speed is 26km per hour and bikes can get up to that speed and you don't need any sort of licence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bicycle that you need to pedal (or scooter you need to scoot) comes under a different law.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1728&Lang=1
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057659176

There are scooters that are only assisted. Not sure if this would be an example
    https://www.microkickboard.com/emicro-folding-electric-scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody know what the legal situation is regarding the use of uniwheels in ireland? Presumably they are not allowed use cycle lanes?

Aweek-Electric-Unicycle-Uni-Wheel-Solowheel-Self-balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Scooter-Monotroch-Single-wheel-electric-vehicles-Black-0-3.jpg

Same as above. Self powered so only legal on private property. In public place only with insurance and road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Since when. Top speed is 26km per hour and bikes can get up to that speed and you don't need any sort of licence
    At least the Road Traffic Act 1961, possibly the 1930s equivalent or earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jonniepster

Yep I spent a day on one in LA. Awesome buzz. Gonna get one. Expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

My Boosted board arrived from the Netherlands 2 weeks ago, to say that I was excited was an understatement, best purchase ever next to my MacBook! I had a nice few spins on it but its been so wet I haven’t had a proper go of it. Although I considered this before buying the board, I rationalized by saying I could spend the same price on a snowboard holiday and not get as much boarding done, I just need some dry days now! The only thing now is that I’ve a few weeks work abroad and I know I’ll get lots of miles in if I bring my board - I just want to know if anyone has any experience traveling with an electric board through European flights? There’s a sticker on the card-board case saying to keep the box for travelling and which also provides the lithium battery info. Is it going to cost a fortune? Just thought I’d ask first here if anyone has any experience first hand.

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    My Boosted board arrived from the Netherlands 2 weeks ago, to say that I was excited was an understatement, best purchase ever next to my MacBook! I had a nice few spins on it but its been so wet I haven’t had a proper go of it. Although I considered this before buying the board, I rationalized by saying I could spend the same price on a snowboard holiday and not get as much boarding done, I just need some dry days now! The only thing now is that I’ve a few weeks work abroad and I know I’ll get lots of miles in if I bring my board - I just want to know if anyone has any experience traveling with an electric board through European flights? There’s a sticker on the card-board case saying to keep the box for travelling and which also provides the lithium battery info. Is it going to cost a fortune? Just thought I’d ask first here if anyone has any experience first hand.

Search Casey Neistat on Youtube. He brings his on 20+ flights a year.

ED E wrote: »
    Search Casey Neistat on Youtube. He brings his on 20+ flights a year.

Ya fair enough, he’s always travelling, but he mostly brings his short board as his boosted board is so big. I’m not flying in and out of the states either, just within Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ya fair enough, he’s always travelling, but he mostly brings his short board as his boosted board is so big. I’m not flying in and out of the states either, just within Europe.

He brings his boosted board too, usually checks it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

January wrote: »
    He brings his boosted board too, usually checks it though.

He also flys first class and I'm guessing is not short of endless cash :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

beauf wrote: »
    Same as above. Self powered so only legal on private property. In public place only with insurance and road tax.

Imagine, you could be done for no tax or insurance and be banned from driving & possibly jailed for riding a skateboard :D

Its more about how it can be misused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Imagine, you could be done for no tax or insurance and be banned from driving & possibly jailed for riding a skateboard :D

If it's classified as a motorised vehicle it's not a stake board. Just like a lot of people on the 2 stroke bicycles will be complaining about getting done on them and getting banned, if the Gardaí ever bothered to enforce our laws.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's classified as a motorised vehicle it's not a stake board. Just like a lot of people on the 2 stroke bicycles will be complaining about getting done on them and getting banned, if the Gardaver bothered to enforce our laws.

TBF, they have done a couple of the lawnmower mods.

I know a local one that I might highlight to the local AGS if they ever leave the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

https://youtu.be/MnE-tp-pPJ8

Apparently it’s all cool re tax and insurance - I’d still probably seek my own verification for cops sake, or walk into local cop shop and ask one of them to be a reference.

45mph/kph seems to be the cut off point?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a ten minute long video; what does he cite to support the claim that 45mph is allowed?

Fake news...

The Gardai in Cork are fairly relaxed so far. I've done 140 miles on it since I got my Boosted in January. I think theres a grey area around electronic skateboards and scooters etc. regarding road use. As long as you're careful and don't do the bollux they'll leave you alone (in Cork anyway). I imagine this will change as these things get more popular and cheaper and theres more people on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Gardai in Cork are fairly relaxed so far. I've done 140 miles on it since I got my Boosted in January. I think theres a grey area around electronic skateboards and scooters etc. regarding road use. As long as you're careful and don't do the bollux they'll leave you alone (in Cork anyway). I imagine this will change as these things get more popular and cheaper and theres more people on the road.

There's zero gray area they are illegal unless taxed and insured and you are wearing a helmet and have a licence, as they are classed as powered two wheelers, the problem is that we have zero enforcement of most of our laws so this is ignored. What will happen is some poor person will get seriously injured by one and then the sh1t will hit the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?

Advertisement