Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wet and Windy Wednesday 16th , Minor flooding possible

Options
  • 14-10-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

With a Low centred out in the atlantic , a cut off low pushes up over the country with embedded ample moisture. Depending on the exact location some parts may have some flooding issues .

GFS - 9am Wednesday
    275855.png

GEM
    275853.png

NMM Wednesday 6am
    275852.png

UKMO Wednesday 2pm
    275854.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Thanks Ian,really have to start keeping an eye on the charts again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

12z hi res 700mb Absolute vorticity showing nearly maxed out areas , indicating the possibility of some very heavy downpours .

275942.png

Precip chart reflecting that for the same time.
    275946.png

Hope im not jumping the gun with this one Delw , considering ive been waiting awhile for something interesting to pop up ! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Think your Spot on Ian ,

I have been trying to keep an eye on this myself ,

My interest really peaked the other day when watching the weather and they were warning about this well in advance !

Good Call

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea looks like a real intense period of rain will push up from the southeast, however looking at the models should pass through relatively quickly.

Yea looks like a real intense period of rain will push up from the southeast, however looking at the models should pass through relatively quickly.

Yep hi res shows the band pushing through alot quicker than the GFS the other night. Still could be very disruptive for morning rush hour.

NMM
    275985.png

WRF
    275986.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30 mm across the country overnight and on Wednesday with a risk of 30 to 40 mm locally in mountainous areas and parts of Leinster.

Rain heaviest between 3 am and 1200 with a localised flooding.
    Issued:
    Tuesday 15 October 2013 11:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 16 October 2013 00:01 to Wednesday 16 October 2013 18:00

NAE has up to 40-50mm in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

NAE has up to 40-50mm in places.

That's up to the levels that flooded the quays in Dublin around the end of October 2011, I think. There's a high tide tomorrow about 10:30, too, which looks to be around the peak of the rainfall.

Will the rainfall be enough on its own, alongside the high tide, to cause flooding, or will the bulk of water take some time to come down the Liffey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

A little sporty for us fliers 2m morning. Charts give the impression of westerly winds but ground winds forecast s/east winds.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

we've had a great week of dry sunny weather here in the northeast, cant believe it's leaving us tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

gothwalk wrote: »
    That's up to the levels that flooded the quays in Dublin around the end of October 2011, I think. There's a high tide tomorrow about 10:30, too, which looks to be around the peak of the rainfall.

Will the rainfall be enough on its own, alongside the high tide, to cause flooding, or will the bulk of water take some time to come down the Liffey?

Nah, that was 90mm at Casement in 12 hours.

We got 60mm in 24 hours early this year in Dublin16, and that was probably my station underreporting :)

• Advertisement

Latest NAE has less than 30mm for the east but about 10mm more for north midlands and northwest counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Looks like it is going to blow through relatively quickly. The radar shows moderately heavy rain, I don't believe there's a significant flood risk as things stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Sat24 showing some thunder cells off the SW coast http://sat24.com/?ir=true

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

24.5mm fell here overnight. The rain has turned patchy and light now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A total of 24.1mm here up to 10am. Another 3.6mm has fallen in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Raining cats and dogs here 21.6mm so far and plenty more to go from the looks of it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rach630k

Lashing in Arklow none stop all morning roads flooding in places

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I dont know how much has fallen here this morning, but the field beside the house has a pond in it now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

43.7mm in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Surprise downpour here now

• Advertisement

Some nice convection over dublin atm , nice to see a return to some interesting skies! :)

Yeah Ian pretty nice looking from here

Not in the right spot here for nice photos but i can see the anvil form the line all the way in longford from here !

43.7mm in Waterford

It was a proper downpour last night alright.

Another very wet day expected tomorrow!
    Met had warnings out for 25 to 50mm earlier but has since been taken down...

back up now edit

pad199207 wrote: »
    Another very wet day expected tomorrow!
    Met had warnings out for 25 to 50mm earlier but has since been taken down...

back up now edit

NAE has almost 50mm in the southeast for tomorrow.

13101900_1718.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Not what is needed, already wettest month this year for my location, currently 85mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

I actually enjoyed the heavy rain the other day, it's good to have rain that isn't accompanied by a icy wind that numbs your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

3 hour forecast shows some very heavy rain will be hitting the south east/east.

• Advertisement
Advertisement