Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

As someone who done the leaving cert last year I do feel for most students. If it was me now I would find it very hard to focus on studying as I would be checking my phone every five mins on the latest in relation to Covid -19 as well as various other distractions. Some students may see this time off as a chance for some serious revision and may make an efficient plan and cover lots of content. For teachers though it will be difficult cause a lot of it is in the students hands now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

spurious wrote: »
    Can any Principal, or language or Home Ec./Music teachers clarify what they have been told about the JC practicals and LC orals that were due to be held in the weeks March 23rd to Friday 3rd April?
    Have alternative dates been set?

We were told as of yesterday evening that there was no official notification or statement from the SEC. Maybe there is today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

acequion wrote: »
    That's great for you and all those other teachers who managed to get so organised ahead of the closures which at the end came at lightening speed.

Spare a thought for all those teachers, like Bobyss who you replied to, who, for all sorts of very justifiable reasons, are struggling with this unprecedented step.

I’m not sure why your tone is like that with me. We were advised a week ago to be prepared for this eventuality. Just our managements idea. Every school is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Paddy223 wrote: »
    As someone who done the leaving cert last year I do feel for most students. If it was me now I would find it very hard to focus on studying as I would be checking my phone every five mins on the latest in relation to Covid -19 as well as various other distractions. Some students may see this time off as a chance for some serious revision and may make an efficient plan and cover lots of content. For teachers though it will be difficult cause a lot of it is in the students hands now..

A fair point Paddy.

Many students will rise to the occasion but those who need support may struggle. This thing could go straight through to Easter in which case we are talking about five weeks without classroom contact. Even the most motivated could lose focus.

Last term could be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Tow

Secondary School: They already have EMail, Office365 and MS Teams etc Got email from school a few days ago with their plains to continue teaching online, and links to all the required sites/apps/downloads. No problem as they already use the school's Office365 and email in some homework/projects etc. Books were all brought home from school yesterday. They are following their normal timetable for subjects and started at 9 this morning. The teachers had already setup 'teams/groups' for each class. So far so good. The teachers are giving them work to do, answering questions and getting them to send in their work. I know it is working, because the kids now are complaining to me :-) There has been no use of video links to teach, so far. But I think it is in the works, using Skype.

National School: The school emailed yesterday that all books were being sent time. Child arrived home, their teacher had only sent some workbooks and instructions to work on the next few chapters.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

spurious wrote: »
    Can any Principal, or language or Home Ec./Music teachers clarify what they have been told about the JC practicals and LC orals that were due to be held in the weeks March 23rd to Friday 3rd April?
    Have alternative dates been set?

I received an email update from the CEO of the ETB where I sub occasionally this morning. This was one of the points:

"The State Examinations Commission have postponed orals and practicals that were due to be held before Easter. They have also advised that students should not be permitted to bring projects home at this time."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why your tone is like that with me. We were advised a week ago to be prepared for this eventuality. Just our managements idea. Every school is different.

I'm sorry you don't like my tone Postgrad10 but your own tone in the post I quoted does come across as a bit smug and condescending.

Yes we all knew the closures were inevitable, yes we've all had school management banging on about it for the past week. However, don't forget that teachers are ran off their feet at the best of times and language teachers were in the thick of preparing for the orals.Not to mention CBAs, SLARS etc all due at this time. Also, I don't think anybody predicted that we would be given such short notice to evacuate, merely hours.

So kudos to you for getting revision booklets done in advance, for many that was too much to expect, there are huge variables out there as to how this will all work out in reality and some teachers are just very stressed about this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is great to see that so many teachers are trying to make do with a bad situation and help their students as best they can. I have to say this type of attitude is beyond contempt though:
    Totally agree km79 and this is something we all need to fight against. Our principal is already bombarding us with emails about getting our asses on google classroom asap and basically following the daily timetable there, while also quite explicitly reminding us that we'll be making up the contact time. My blood boils.:mad:

I am lucky in that I can work from home (im not a teacher). My wife works as a nurse on reduced hours though so she will likely be in contact with patients with covid 19. If the situation gets really bad she will be volunteering to do more shifts. I will mind the kids and try and work nights, weekends, whatever it takes.

When this is over we can either look back and be proud of pulling together and getting through it, or we can think about ourselves and make sure we stick to the letters of our contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    It is great to see that so many teachers are trying to make do with a bad situation and help their students as best they can. I have to say this type of attitude is beyond contempt though:

I am lucky in that I can work from home (im not a teacher). My wife works as a nurse on reduced hours though so she will likely be in contact with patients with covid 19. If the situation gets really bad she will be volunteering to do more shifts. I will mind the kids and try and work nights, weekends, whatever it takes.

When this is over we can either look back and be proud of pulling together and getting through it, or we can think about ourselves and make sure we stick to the letters of our contracts.

No teacher I know every sticks to the letter of our contracts
    We all do extra voluntary work . All this is taken for granted in times like this when it’s “the teachers are on holidays again “
    We would like however our contracts to be honored like every other profession . Many of us will of course catch up VOLUNTARILY if needed.

I’m done here for now anyway . Going round in circles . another teacher bashing thread opened in current affairs to the same effect as what was being said on here yday
    Same on after hours .

HerrKuehn wrote: »

"Beyond contempt" because I don't see why anybody should be asked to do their work twice, maybe three times?? If you bothered to read this thread in more detail except as an excuse for teacher bashing you would see from my posts that I'm very eager to work from home and will be in constant contact with my students. But I don't see why I should have to make up for time already done.

People badly need to get over themselves with their holier than thou attitude to others like the last paragraph of this post here. :rolleyes: Patronising others for expressing their opinions, fears, frustrations in a time of crisis is out of order, not to mention plain unhelpful

Over and out here as well with this kind of malarky going on! I've better things to be doing such as teaching my classes remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Totally agree km79 and this is something we all need to fight against. Our principal is already bombarding us with emails about getting our asses on google classroom asap and basically following the daily timetable there, while also quite explicitly reminding us that we'll be making up the contact time. My blood boils.:mad:

I have no problem spending my days at my computer connecting with my students through out this crisis, I'd go mad otherwise if I was doing nothing and want to keep as close to normality as possible. But expecting us to work on the double by making up the face to face time is a step too far. And you're so right when you say that no other group is expected to do it.

Your principal is a moron. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Although abroad, I will share our plan (wife is a teacher), some aspects may be options to teachers in Ireland.

Here in the US (Indiana specifically), we are about to start 2 weeks of spring break, which could potentially extend to 5 weeks depending on spread. Teachers are prepared for distance learning. Our advantage is that students already have school issued Chromebooks. My wife uses "screencastify" which is a chrome extension, that allows recording of her computer screen and voice for her lesson, which can then be pushed out to students. Seeing as it isn't live, and there is no video aspect, it does remove some of the potential issues others have mentioned.

I believe since it operates as a Chrome extension, both students and teachers would only need the chrome browser, not necessarily a chromebook.

Edit: I don't know how many are of use, but here is a list that is being updated with companies offering free tools for distance learning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1NUKLZN7hGSu1Hzm70kfzBKs-lsSELaEMggS60Bi2O2I/htmlview?usp=embed_facebook&sle=true&pru=AAABcPWdtNo*cdKUSlIpq6kMhHz48q9WFQ&fbclid=IwAR365kKQ5mOrIlwXCAVrkDnFAV8D3lsHuf-UNWSiUqhbsBxxHbQUGeIDvIo&urp=gmail_link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

bobbyss wrote: »
    How are those teachers coping whose students don't have lap tops, don't have ipads, who say they have nò credit for mobiles and who say will not be doing any work for the duration? (It is reaching the business end of the Champions' League after all) And whose parents aren't really bothered about it anyway.

Challenging students who have no interest, no study skils and no suppport at home and who'd tell you to F... off as soon as look at you may enjoy the break.

Two weeks off? I am heartbroken.

In a similar situation with some of mine. I have a few Leaving Certs who will have all the gee whizz for a couple of days I'd imagine but it will quickly fizzle out. I'm planning on setting some revision topics & exam questions every 4/5 days so it's a bit more targeted & not a broad revise all of x for example

I'm a practical subject and 3rd yrs due to complete exams in the coming weeks - all I could do was tell them practice at home. Again I'm planning similar to LC and email a question every few days.
    Am hoping a small amount of work will actually be achievable rather than a bigger pile. Luckily for exam classes course was pretty much done so I'll revise when we get back

To be bluntly honest I've emailed 5th yrs but with no real expectation they will do anything. 2nd yrs were in CBA mode so we hit pause and again I've no expectation they will do any study etc.

I subbed for years so well used to hit the ground running and catching up on lost time if they were without a teacher for a while.
    Topics will be prioritised;material will be condensed and we will be fine.

I'm just hoping (genuinely) none get affected on a personal level with serious illness or loss in their family as a lot of our's have multiple medical issues, poor diet, poor knowledge of how to follow a strict routine of any kind so I imagine will struggle with staying in, social distancing, strict hand washing etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

seemed to work well today for our two in secondary school. they had to be on their ipads at 8.40 and their teacher for class gave them notes and they followed.. where they couldnt they emailed questions etc.. it was a good distraction for the kids to be honest.. they have taken to it very well.. cleaned off their desks last night and got setup.. lucky that they are in an 'ipad' school and we have decent broadband.. fair play to the teachers for making the effort.. the primary school in comparison arent connected at all so kids got homework packs and suggestions of things to do over the time away from school and not much else they can do...

reports of some parents going crazy that their 5 year old doesnt have a detailed lesson plan for 2 weeks.. people need to have a certain amount of common sense
    In a similar situation with some of mine. I have a few Leaving Certs who will have all the gee whizz for a couple of days I'd imagine but it will quickly fizzle out. I'm planning on setting some revision topics & exam questions every 4/5 days so it's a bit more targeted & not a broad revise all of x for example

I'm a practical subject and 3rd yrs due to complete exams in the coming weeks - all I could do was tell them practice at home. Again I'm planning similar to LC and email a question every few days.
    Am hoping a small amount of work will actually be achievable rather than a bigger pile. Luckily for exam classes course was pretty much done so I'll revise when we get back

To be bluntly honest I've emailed 5th yrs but with no real expectation they will do anything. 2nd yrs were in CBA mode so we hit pause and again I've no expectation they will do any study etc.

I subbed for years so well used to hit the ground running and catching up on lost time if they were without a teacher for a while.
    Topics will be prioritised;material will be condensed and we will be fine.

I'm just hoping (genuinely) none get affected on a personal level with serious illness or loss in their family as a lot of our's have multiple medical issues, poor diet, poor knowledge of how to follow a strict routine of any kind so I imagine will struggle with staying in, social distancing, strict hand washing etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

Has anyone heard anything further about how casual subs (who don't have days booked for the coming week) will be treated during the closure - in terms of wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It will either be working these two weeks or making up lost days. Staff will not be complying with both. Most schools have set up Office365, notes, information and interactions can take place that way.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I wonder what happens to student teachers who were in the middle of their teaching placements. Surely, they will have to do it again at another stage?

I wonder what happens to student teachers who were in the middle of their teaching placements. Surely, they will have to do it again at another stage?

They'll have to complete hours, but at this stage I'd say most of the inspections have been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

They'll have to complete hours, but at this stage I'd say most of the inspections have been completed.

I know some people who are only 3 weeks into a 10 week placement. No way have all inspections been completed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Concerned LC student here, I know I should probably be posting this in the LC thread but it hasnt been used in months. Is it likely this closure will extend into easter? Really worried about loosing motivation as this drags on etc especially with our exams only 2 1/2 months away

• Advertisement

I know some people who are only 3 weeks into a 10 week placement. No way have all inspections been completed for that.

In our place all inspections are done.

Speaking of inspections....... What are the inspectors going to be doing since all the schools are off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tow wrote: »
    Secondary School: They already have EMail, Office365 and MS Teams etc Got email from school a few days ago with their plains to continue teaching online, and links to all the required sites/apps/downloads. No problem as they already use the school's Office365 and email in some homework/projects etc. Books were all brought home from school yesterday. They are following their normal timetable for subjects and started at 9 this morning. The teachers had already setup 'teams/groups' for each class. So far so good. The teachers are giving them work to do, answering questions and getting them to send in their work. I know it is working, because the kids now are complaining to me :-) There has been no use of video links to teach, so far. But I think it is in the works, using Skype.

National School: The school emailed yesterday that all books were being sent time. Child arrived home, their teacher had only sent some workbooks and instructions to work on the next few chapters.

In fairness, they only got 3 hours notice. Like my NS. I'm sure the staff did their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Shn99 wrote: »
    Concerned LC student here, I know I should probably be posting this in the LC thread but it hasnt been used in months. Is it likely this closure will extend into easter? Really worried about loosing motivation as this drags on etc especially with our exams only 2 1/2 months away

No one can say for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if it extends beyond Easter. Some talk of maybe holidays being brought in one week earlier but it's going to evolve over the coming weeks

If your in 6th year a lot of your courses should be or about to be completed by Easter anyway. You should make a study timetable based on your current timetable and try revise or study those subjects at those times. Complete any projects you can and expect the orals to take place after Easter, so you are prepared, even if more delays occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is it totally outlandish to think that if this gets worse, that it could potentially mean schools closed until end of the academic year?

Is it totally outlandish to think that if this gets worse, that it could potentially mean schools closed until end of the academic year?

Nothing is outlandish is this freakish new universe but what is the point in projecting worse case scenarios like that? We just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Treppen wrote: »
    Your principal is a moron. Fact.

Tell your principal no class should be using Google classroom.
    Google not compliant with GDPR as they will not guarantee your cloud storage is EU based or accessible to US authorities. That will tie him/her up in knots!
    By the Microsoft are compliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks to most for sticking to the 'ethos' of this replacement thread.

Please refrain from sniping at other posters. There is nobody here does not want the best for everyone in this situation.

Some schools and teachers were/are slightly better prepared (for a great variety of reasons), it is not their fault others were/are not.

Please remember tone is not always clear in text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Tow

In fairness, they only got 3 hours notice. Like my NS. I'm sure the staff did their best.

The secondary school got the got the same notice as the NS. The difference being they started preparing since last week and what they produced with no real notice was very good. In the afternoon, one teacher had recorded about 15-20mins of video and gave them a task for the rest of the lesson. He must have been up all night recording and editing each class. Complete with a request for a thumbs up, if they liked his video.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Actually, you now have access to a wide range of subject knowledge on this forum, I doubt the mods would mind if you asked any subject related questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement