Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut laminated wood

Options
  • 06-08-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

The likes of what you would see in wardrobes, is it a certain type of blade for a chop saw or do you simply put your masking tape on. As I seem to be getting a lot of chipped edges which makes it look like a dogs dinner.
    Is some laminated wood better than others for not chipping??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

cutting panels like that need to be cut on a panel saw with a scoring blade which runs in the opposite direction of the main blade but perfectly aligned so that when the main blade cuts through it doesnt chip. i have seen a lad pulling his circ saw backwards on a guide first set at say 2mm then dropping it and cutting it the normal way. it works but takes a lot of time.

the name of the sheets are melamine faced. laminated wood is made up of layers or strips of timber glued together

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

cubix wrote: »
    The likes of what you would see in wardrobes, is it a certain type of blade for a chop saw or do you simply put your masking tape on. As I seem to be getting a lot of chipped edges which makes it look like a dogs dinner.
    Is some laminated wood better than others for not chipping??

Thanks
    The wardrobe material is veneered chipboard or MDF, presumably.
    There are a few things you can do to prevent or at least reduce break out.
    Most important is to be sure that your saw blade is sharp. An 80 tooth blade on a 250mm chopsaw would be the best.
    Make the cut with the face to be seen uppermost - most break out occurs on the underside of the cut.
    You could try a false bed on the chopsaw - a piece of MDF would be good for this, and keep a firm downward pressure on the stuff to be cut.
    Commercial saws built for cutting sheet materials have a scoring blade; this is designed to minimise break out before the main cutting blade follows to do the principal cut. You can do something similar by scoring the cut line with a sharp knife.
    I've never use tape myself, but I can imagine it would help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

1 chippy beat me to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads

Advertisement