Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircode puzzle

• 06-11-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have just complained to An Post about a undelivered package which didn't have our house number, but had everything else correctly addressed including the eircode. Their reply was that they do not use eircode for deliveries.
    What is the point of eircode if our postal system doesn't use eircode?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kig wrote: »
    I have just complained to An Post about a undelivered package which didn't have our house number, but had everything else correctly addressed including the eircode. Their reply was that they do not use eircode for deliveries.
    What is the point of eircode if our postal system doesn't use eircode?

It was a government led program. An Post said from the start that their systems didn’t recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They do use it, but not in every aspect of their systems and they didn't develop it and actually dragged their feet on the rollout of postal codes here for decades. We were supposed to be introducing postal codes in the mid 1970s!

I've been told they do use it for automatic sorting, but that delivery staff i.e. postmen and women may not be able to look it up locally so, without the top line of your address, they still won't be able to find your house.

The Eircode might have gone through the automatic sorting system and delivered the item to that particular route, but unless the postman / woman keys it into something to look up the address, they're not going to have a clue where you are.

It's still useful, and it's very handy for couriers and so on, but it'll just take An Post 40 years or so to get with the times. There's nothing new there really.

Basically, for An Post staff to be able to use Eircode at local level, they would need to have something like a mobile phone with an app to look it up. You can be sure that this level of 'advanced technology' wouldn't be something that they'd have yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Why are we worried about broadband coverage if we can't even get a postcode system to work. An Post needs their a***s kicked!

Basically the history of Eircode was that An Post did not want to rollout any kind of postal code and were quite happy to just let the system work on totally illogical addressing that could only be deciphered by them.

In the end Eircode was driven by the Government as a totally separate project to facilitate better addressing so people could find things, couriers could find addresses and so on without driving around in circles.

Eircode is not a post code in the traditional sense, it's national geolocation code that looks up any address.

It's up to individual couriers and mapping companies to adopt it if they want. Google Maps use it, as do several of the courier companies at this stage and An Post seem to use it for internal sorting now too.

It'll just start to get picked up as more companies and individuals start to find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

It's a pile of crap is what it is, and an expensive one at that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

daithi7 wrote: »
    It's a pile of crap is what it is, and an expensive one at that!!

On the contrary I think its great. No need asking for directions. Just input 7 digits into google drive and 'bingo'.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    On the contrary I think its great. No need asking for directions. Just input 7 digits into google drive and 'bingo'.

Fair enough, I just don't like our coding system e.g. the abandonment of County letters in the code, and other anomalies with it. It looks half baked imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

What3words has the location solution nailed for virtually all situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

kig wrote: »
    Why are we worried about broadband coverage if we can't even get a postcode system to work. An Post needs their a***s kicked!

As does the person who didn't put your full address.

Amazon seem to have a habit now of slicing off the left hand side of address' on their label, only for my phone number is attached to the barcode the post person rings to ask for my full address, to deliver it, no ass kicking needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Lantus wrote: »
    What3words has the location solution nailed for virtually all situations.

They're all whistling in the wind now the eircode is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It's ok for courier companies, who might have one delivery in a certain street every few days and varying routes every day over a large area, but crap for a postman who goes the same route every day and delivers several letters to several houses in a certain street every day.
    What they need, is the relative location of addresses, eg. 21 High Street is next or one down from 23 High Street. Eircode doesn't give you this. D07 R532 and D07 T466 could be two houses next to each other, but there is no way of knowing this, without typing them into a computer. To use it, the postman would have to look up each address, which is not feasible. It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They're all whistling in the wind now the eircode is here

Well if the house I'm looking for knew and could use their what3word tag I'd use that.

For now I'll stick with eircode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mdebets wrote: »
    It's ok for courier companies, who might have one delivery in a certain street every few days and varying routes every day over a large area, but crap for a postman who goes the same route every day and delivers several letters to several houses in a certain street every day.
    What they need, is the relative location of addresses, eg. 21 High Street is next or one down from 23 High Street. Eircode doesn't give you this. D07 R532 and D07 T466 could be two houses next to each other, but there is no way of knowing this, without typing them into a computer. To use it, the postman would have to look up each address, which is not feasible. It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.

It was decided not to use a logical system for privacy reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They don't use it yet when they put my letter with perfect address in to a neighbour, the response was, well if it had an eircode, it would be sure of going to the correct house.

Sounds like they're suiting themselves. Looking up an eircode isn't rocket science if you have a smartphone.

A postman doing his round wants all the letters in address order as he meets them. He does not want to get a bag of mail, then get out a smartphone and look up every address and then sort the mail into order and bring it around. He would have to write the addresses on the envelope unless he wants to look them up again when he arrives at the first house.
    Many householders do not display the number of their property outside. It is often impossible to know which house is which. There might be a number on one house and none on several adjacent. It happens all over many urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

4ensic15 wrote: »

This is the funniest thing about it all.
    You can find anyone's eircode or address from eircode website or Google maps.

Loc8 also had a brilliant system done before Eircode came along, there was money to be spent so they did it badly.
    Plus the closure of post offices will lead to An Post never giving their staff devices to use in the field.

I've had mail out though my door that wasn't even for the right county!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.

This falls to pieces when the owner of D07 R533 decides to replace his detached house with 4 townhouses, and D07 R534 replaces hers with 12 apartments. These now end up out of sequence.

Any system that works sequentially collapses in to incoherence after a few years and you need to glue it back together with a database very like what Eircode has anyway, except assumptions keep being made that are plainly wrong.

Loc8 was not a "brilliant system", it was a concatenated coordinate which means it could not be used for any proper delivery planning purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.
    That's lovely and neat until someone adds an infill house, or demolishes a house to replace it with an apartment block.

Then what happens to your sequential numbers?

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »

Which is a really lame excuse, since you're normally putting your full a address alongside your post code so you've effectively given away all privacy in relation to your address already.... Lame excuse for a lame system that is proving unloved by the general public.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Which is a really lame excuse, since you're normally putting your full a address alongside your post code so you've effectively given away all privacy in relation to your address already.... Lame excuse for a lame system that is proving unloved by the general public.

It was to prevent marketing by not allowing companies to send junk mail to every house by simply writing to all codes in a given location.

Most post codes tell you very little anyway. They all need the top line of the address.

A lot of continental systems and the standard US ZIP are really just a numerical version of the nearest town / or location of a sorting office (many of which no longer exist) that was designed to automate or semi automate sorting in the 1950 and 60s.

The UK system is more accurate in London and the bigger cities but it's got very poor granularity somewhere like Northern Ireland or rural Scotland. The entirety of NI is limited to BTX XXX

Overall Eircode works and should eventually be able to be used as

1 Main Street (for the postman)
    X99 1A2B (for the sorting automation)

L1011 wrote: »
    This falls to pieces when the owner of D07 R533 decides to replace his detached house with 4 townhouses, and D07 R534 replaces hers with 12 apartments. These now end up out of sequence.

Any system that works sequentially collapses in to incoherence after a few years and you need to glue it back together with a database very like what Eircode has anyway, except assumptions keep being made that are plainly wrong.

Loc8 was not a "brilliant system", it was a concatenated coordinate which means it could not be used for any proper delivery planning purposes.
    The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.
    So now you want all users to have knowledge of which buildings existed at time of original eircode generation, and which have been added since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That'd be as retarded as a loc8 code

If you are up around Athlone, KV56 is the sewerage plant

Much better than N37KV560001 being the shop next door like.

For everything else, there is What3words :

For example : sobbed.survivor.cobble

will bring you to something floating in the River Shannon

https://w3w.co/sobbed.survivor.cobble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And now you've a ten digit code and/or one that can't be used to identify individual apartments.

Both useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »
    It was a government led program. An Post said from the start that their systems didn’t recognise it.

A postcode system that aids delivery is not in the interests of a monopoly or near-monopoly postal operator. An Post are not unique in their approach.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    They don't use it yet when they put my letter with perfect address in to a neighbour, the response was, well if it had an eircode, it would be sure of going to the correct house.

Someone I know got the same daft reply from customer care, when letters she was waiting on never came, she was livid, and shouted (she said) at him,
    If he cant read a house name on a letter what F*****g use would an Eircode be. (never got the letters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Got this in the post today, odd if indeed An Post are not using Eircode in some way. Or maybe Eircode paid for this through the Postmark Advertising scheme?

I was chatting to my Postman about it, (always good the get the inside info), he says there's 1 guy who does it, on 1 computer, in between all his other daily work, and could have between 40-60 a day to check up and might only get time to check 20, then someone else takes over, but there's no "dedicated" person to look them up, also said 10% of eircodes are wrong, Now that's mad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I got a delivery today from China, my name and house number was blurred out, the street name was there and the Eircode was very clear., don't think I would have got it if the code wasn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

An Post is very heavily unionised with very set job practices, getting any changes (even though it should benefit their workload in the long term) in how they deliver will take years and years. Everyone else will use Eircode, then An Post will adopt it at the slowest pace imaginable (despite marketing to the contrary).

astrofool wrote: »
    An Post is very heavily unionised with very set job practices, getting any changes (even though it should benefit their workload in the long term) in how they deliver will take years and years. Everyone else will use Eircode, then An Post will adopt it at the slowest pace imaginable (despite marketing to the contrary).
    The Eircode in its current form doesn't help An Post. The mailman can't check every letter for the Eircode, if he would, he would still be delivering mail from the last century. He needs a sequential code, which tells him in which order the houses are on the road. Eircode doesn't deliver this. What benefit do you think An Post or its customers would get from using Eircode?

• Advertisement

A postman doesn't need to check every address for an eircode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

The Eircode in its current form doesn't help An Post. The mailman can't check every letter for the Eircode, if he would, he would still be delivering mail from the last century. He needs a sequential code, which tells him in which order the houses are on the road. Eircode doesn't deliver this. What benefit do you think An Post or its customers would get from using Eircode?

Every parcel I get delivered by an post is signed for on a handheld. My iPhone can read my credit card number and fill it into a field in seconds.

Handheld device + optical character recognition = automated look up of address.

If you think a postman can’t be enabled on a mobile to use eircode then you’ve never seen 1990s back office technology, or never seen a Cheque or lodgement slip whizzed through a scanner by a bank teller back when we walked into a bank to do this.

If you have a problem with the system and it’s lack of area based codes fair enough. If you have an issue with the procurement process fair enough, this has been addressed at EU level.

But spare us the Postman can’t use it routine. It’s designed for licensed automated logistics and free lookup for occasional users. It costs money to maintain and only enterprise users are paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

An Post is much more than the postman on the street. Your postman/woman has local knowledge and even in rural areas with duplicate addresses will get the right house based on knowing the names of the occupants. But first post has to be sorted with machines with no local knowledge at a national level, this is where postcodes are useful to an post. They could automatically sort post in order into the mail bag using it if they wanted to.

Another point as to why they don't use sequential codes. If people make a transcribing error in the post code, say swap a 6 with a 7, or swap two digits which is very common, in a sequential system two these could resolve to two houses in the same neighbourhood. In Ireland up to a third of properties have duplicate addresses, so you would often have a situation where you can't tell if there's an error in a postcode by comparing to the address. With Eircode they made sure that similar addresses had vastly different codes, so it would always be possible to detect an error. The way they designed it makes it easy to figure out the correct code once the error is discovered.

In urban areas, many addresses have house numbers so arguably eircode is less needed there. In the countryside, it really comes into its own. Most rural postmen know /get to know who lives in most of the houses so after a while eircode isn't needed so much. It's a great way for differentiating between duplicate addresses and taking the guesswork out of it. I don't know much often postmen need to use eircode but they probably know after a while that this J Smith has this eircode, whereas the other one next door has a different one. I have no issue with the 2nd part of it not being sequential. As houses get built/knocked, it'll invariably get thrown out of sequence anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It helps for everything but the last mile, where even a sequential system won't help the postie unless they memorise the starting number of each estate and then count down (understanding the estate numbering layout which can also be absolutely crazy with missing numbers, odds vs. evens, new parts of the estate being misnumbered).

Once the union practices move forward, the postie will just have a scanner or phone to verify all these addresses, which again makes sequential vs. random irrelevant and ignores the fact that the random addresses provide a built in error correction system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got an automatically generated bank PIN belonging to my neighbour 3 doors down, with her Eircode clearly on it around 10 days ago- and yesterday her credit card landed in with my post- once again as one of the few items to have a full Eircode on it. Eircode is crap, its implementation is crap- and for a local postie with poor English- delivering post in a Dublin suburb- its completely and utterly useless. My Lebanese neighbour- has her new credit card- as my wife dropped it into her- and is doubtless doing some damage on it today- however, I could just as easily be abusing it- were I that way inclined.

I don't know who had money to burn with Eircode- but they certainly burnt it.

Is the rest of this neighbour's address not on the letter?

Is the rest of this neighbour's address not on the letter?

Yes it is- along with her name- and shes been living 3 doors down for at least 4-5 years, without any of her post ever having been misdelivered to me- and yet, here I have two items of hers, in the space of less than 2 weeks. Note- the commonality is- I also received items from Bank of Ireland on the same days myself........... The postman is not familiar with the route- and has only recently started working in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes it is- along with her name- and shes been living 3 doors down for at least 4-5 years, without any of her post ever having been misdelivered to me- and yet, here I have two items of hers, in the space of less than 2 weeks. Note- the commonality is- I also received items from Bank of Ireland on the same days myself........... The postman is not familiar with the route- and has only recently started working in Lucan.
    No postcode system will help someone who doesn't even read what's written on the envelope.

Eircode is crap........

No it's not

.. The postman is not familiar with the route- and has only recently started working in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

I use it daily with Google maps in my line of work.

Only think I find annoying is you can input an Eircode to Google maps and it finds you the house, but if you need to find an Eircode when your at a house you cannot pull it off Google maps. You need to open the Eircode website and use your location in the browser to get the code.

It it just me or am doing something wrong in Google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

I was due a delivery on Wednesday via on post, according to An Post tracker it was sitting in Portlaoise for two days.
    It finally arrived in my local sorting office today and was out for delivery.
    Waited, waited, waited. Checked online and it was back in the sorting office, ‘no one at that address’.
    Call An Post, long story short; they don’t use eircode.
    Unbelievably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

My address isn't listed in the Eircode Finder, when I contacted them the response was 'find your house on the map and use the Eircode allocated.'
    Despite numerous requests for them to change their system and input my correct address they refuse to do so. I have problems getting insurance and other services because they can't match my address to an Eircode.

Millions of euros was wasted on this system for some ignorant staff to refuse to fix their errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Saudades

mrpdap wrote: »
    I was due a delivery on Wednesday via on post, according to An Post tracker it was sitting in Portlaoise for two days.
    It finally arrived in my local sorting office today and was out for delivery.
    Waited, waited, waited. Checked online and it was back in the sorting office, ‘no one at that address’.
    Call An Post, long story short; they don’t use eircode.
    Unbelievably

That doesn't sound like an eircode problem, just sounds like the delivery driver didn't have time to get to your address.

Or are you saying that your delivery only had the eircode on it, and no actual address?

Happens to me occasionally - the an post tracker will state 'delivery within 1-2 working days'; on day 1 it will say 'out for delivery', then update later the same day to 'no answer at address', and then it will be delivered on day 2.

Moved to Consumer: Online Buying and Auctions: Couriers

Please read and abide by the forum rules governing posting here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement