Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Although I do disagree with most of the above, I suppose we will only have answer a decade from now. I doubt boards will still be around, but I would be pleasantly surprised if each of the above make it through the 20's!

I think when Amazon (or its successor) gets a foothold in Ireland, we will be looking at transformed urban design. Even facebook wasnt in the top 10 firms 10 years ago, from what I've just read. We shall see.
Boards isn't really normal social media. It's quite niche and specific to Ireland so, I'd say it's got more hope of survival than many of the bigger companies.

The main Facebook platform could well be gone in a decade's time though, particularly if it manages to lose advertisers by being a location for hate campaigns and so on. I don't think Facebook as a company will disappear, but I would suspect that the original platform will wither. It's already social media for the older generations at this stage.

I could see a lot of the newspapers in Ireland and elsewhere disappearing, particularly those that have totally failed to make a transition online.

In some ways Distilled Media is actually replicating and replacing some of the business models of the original print media online, in a way they have never managed to do i.e. Distilled Media owns TheJournal.ie and also Daft.ie, Ireland's de facto go-to location for property adverts. It's a similar model to the pre-2008 newspapers.

The Journal also has been moving towards being a far more credible news site over the past few years. I know we all tend to write it off due to its early days of being a bit of an aggregator and rehasher of stories, but that's actually evolved a lot and it's far more like an actual newspaper these days.

I could see several of the Irish print papers disappearing probably within 12 to 24 months. The same would apply to many of the magazine titles.

The other BIG area that will transform here at some stage is the banks. When the European Union and ECB get around to fully opening the Eurozone bank market, removing all barriers (and that will happen in the next few years) a lot of European banks will sink/swim or consolidate. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish banks are either squeezed out by pan-Eurozone operations, or merged into bigger organisations over the next decade.

There's also a lot of room for disruptive fintech operations with products like N26 and Revolt etc taking chunks of the retail banking market.