Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gay Byrne

• 04-11-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Gone to the great TV studio in the sky.
    A cornerstone of Irish TV and radio broadcasting for many decades.

RIP.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP
    A true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You can roll it there Colette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can roll it there Colette

Was Colette before or after Roisin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah poor aul Uncle Gaybo. That's a terrible shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

After I think, you can tell someone's age by their goto roll it.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aw no. RIP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

One of my favourite memories was when Pee Flynn managed to destroy his political career when complaining how hard it was to have three houses to manage.

I found this version of it on the auld youtube:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Gay was some operator with a fantastic career in broadcasting. He was a real national treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

RIP Gaybo.. :(

I know of no Roisin. It was Colette when we came here in 1974 and for years after.

Clareman wrote: »

RIP

I’m 54

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

A true legend. A great man. Can't believe he's gone.

So sad. In a world of so called celebrity "legends", Gay Byrne truly was one. He was unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very very sad, another big name and personality from my childhood is gone. Just makes you all the more aware that we're all getting older :(

I wonder what the weekly LLS thread on this forum would be like if it were around in Gay's heyday! The current incumbent isn't fit to lace his boots but I'm sure he'd acknowledge that himself to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,222 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

RIP Gaybo :(

Here he is, meeting a long-forgotten beat combo from Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Very sad day.

He was the greatest broadcaster of his time, and there are few people who did more to shape the country.

I had the pleasure of meeting him, he was a Gentleman with huge interest in people.

We won't see his likes again. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad news. Remember much merriment in school when he discussed pogs on one of the toy show years and kept pronouncing them 'pogues'.

Him and Dermot Morgan both gone now:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm pretty sure that Colette was the original of the species.

She was Colette Farmer, originally married to Donal Farmer (RIP) who played Fr. Deveraux in Glenroe. Though they must have divorced at some stage because he was remarried by the time he died in December 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭sliabh 1956

It surely is a sign I am getting old. Earlier this year my own Mother passed away and now to day I hear Gaybo has died. Like many of her generation she followed him faithfully on the Radio and TV.She often remarked that the late Late was useless after he left it. He was her companion in the morning as she did her house work and later when she retired and her family had moved on. My own earliest memory as a child is going to my Grandmothers with my Dad to watch the Late Late Show as we had no telly. Even though I was quite young I was facinated at the debates that took place I remember Ulick O Connor Dr Paddy Leahy and MIne Bean Ni Cribhin arguing fighting over the issues of the day. He was a focal point as Ireland changed during the 60's,70's and 80's .He helped broaden our minds and was never afraid to challenge the norms of the time. As I grew up I listened faithfully to him each morning and of course the Late Late Shown became a central part of my weekend. We live in a different Ireland to day I think Gay played his part in no small way in the Country we live in to day with all its good and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There is a special LLS tribute show on Tuesday live at 9.35pm on RTE1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Him and Dermot Morgan both gone now

Ah no, when did Dermot Morgan go? Granted I hadn't seem him in anything since Fr. Ted, but just figured he became a bit of a recluse or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

RIP Gaybo :(

Here he is, meeting a long-forgotten beat combo from Liverpool.

I recognise yer man from Wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Effects wrote: »
    Ah no, when did Dermot Morgan go? Granted I hadn't seem him in anything since Fr. Ted, but just figured he became a bit of a recluse or something.

Seriously he died over 20 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Effects wrote: »

:eek: Dermot died in 1998!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP Gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I am not "exira' and delira'" to hear this news :(

Like others, my own mum did her housework to the background chat of Uncle Gaybo on the radio in the mornings, then settled down to the Late Late every Friday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe very sad to hear of the loss of Gay Byrne. He truly was a legend. Cancer is a horrible nasty disease and it does not care if your rich or poor, young or old it can effect us all. I recently lost an uncle to it and we buried him last week.

RIP Gay Byrne

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LBC have just had a tribute to him.
    His death is front page of the BBC website.

Very well regarded abroad, absolutely huge here.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

RIP Gay.

He held a mirror up to Irish society and wasn't afraid of controversy and challenging the establishment. He played a big part in modernising Ireland.

He couldn't hide his feelings towards his guests, you were in no doubt who he didn't like, he was very condescending and judgemental - the way he treated Annie Murphy was disgraceful but she stood up to him and there was a big backlash towards him at the time. I wonder if he ever regretted how nasty he was in that interview as it's one the keeps coming up whenever he's discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I agree that wasn’t his finest hour, but I think on balance Irish society is markedly better for him having done what he did on radio and TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

splinter65 wrote: »
    I know of no Roisin. It was Colette when we came here in 1974 and for years after.

Well I wasn't born until a few years after 1974 but I remember Roisin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yakuza wrote: »
    One of my favourite memories was when Pee Flynn managed to destroy his political career when complaining how hard it was to have three houses to manage.

I found this version of it on the auld youtube:

Jesus , looking back on that now, what an absolute ‘grade A’ cûnt that Flynn guy was... fair play to gaybo for pushing his buttons... he could have just sat there and facilitated him but he drew him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

https://youtu.be/9h2c5v8IZNA

Roll it there Roisin...or maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who here remembers.. the calor housewife of the year :pac:

you had to see it to believe it, like something out of Father Ted

fryup wrote: »

Ahhh come on it was gas.

fryup wrote: »

My mother in law was a regional winner and got to the final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

deisemum wrote: »
    RIP Gay.

He held a mirror up to Irish society and wasn't afraid of controversy and challenging the establishment. He played a big part in modernising Ireland.

He couldn't hide his feelings towards his guests, you were in no doubt who he didn't like, he was very condescending and judgemental - the way he treated Annie Murphy was disgraceful but she stood up to him and there was a big backlash towards him at the time. I wonder if he ever regretted how nasty he was in that interview as it's one the keeps coming up whenever he's discussed.
    Agreed, his interview with Annie Murphy was certainly not his finished hour, nor his interview with Jan Leeming. He blamed her for her marriage breakups - stating, more or less, that she shouldn't be reading the news on the BBC but instead she should have been looking after her marriage - or words to that effect. She got quite upset as I recall.

That said, he was a superb broadcaster, great attention to detail apparently in preparing for broadcasts

Saturday nights back then were a battle ground between Match of the Day and the LLS - he never used to advise who was going to on the show - so you had to tune in before deciding if you would stay or switch to David Coleman etc on MOD.

A real loss. Thaank you Gay.................

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

When spike Milligan was on and told gay he fought in world war 2. Gay asked him if he killed anyone. Spike said he presumed so. Gay asked what do you mean presumed so. Spike said well I was pointing in that direction.

RIP.

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Agreed, his interview with Annie Murphy was certainly not his finished hour.

That said, he was a superb broadcaster, great attention to detail apparently in preparing for broadcasts.

A real loss. Thaank you Gay.................

I just looked back at the Annie Murphy interview. It was a real low point. He basically enables two HORRIBLE old fûcks, one in particular to bully and harass Annie on live TV. Whatever you think of her it’s certainly a real low point for both him, the show and indeed Irish broadcasting. I wonder if the Catholic Church had any influence in getting the two auld bints on there front and center, seems like more than a coincidence, the mouthy one was full of her ‘facts’ and seemed well rehearsed considering you turn up for that show not knowing who the guests are, some coincidence...

deisemum wrote: »
    My mother in law was a regional winner and got to the final :D

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0418/782623-housewife-of-the-year/

She might be here ^^^

How Gay presents this with the straightest face known to man is something other worldly.... I’d implore everyone to look at this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Strumms wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0418/782623-housewife-of-the-year/

She might be here ^^^

How Gay presents this with the straightest face known to man is something other worldly.... I’d implore everyone to look at this..

jesus, had a look at a few clips there. It's more lovely girls than the lovely girls competition....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He also used to present John Player Tops Of The Town, another one of those relics of a bygone age with more than a bit of a Fr Ted vibe. I think Mike Murphy took over not long after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kookiemonster

RIP Gaybo, clearly a bit of a gamechanger in terms of Irish broadcasting.

I haven't a musical note in my body, but I have a great memory for recall of different songs and themes, the Gay Byrne morning show, like other say here was on in the house before school every day growing up. Its a beauty (I cant embed as I a new user) called Ticos Tune, worth a youtube for a nostalgia flush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Clareman wrote: »

RIP

Colette was before Roisin. Gay used that phrase "Roll it There Colette" for many years.

Gay Byrne was the king of broadcasting in Ireland. He dominated TV and radio for so many years. For many people of a certain age, the Late Late Show was synonymous with Gay Byrne. Whatever people may have thought of his personal views, which he was not afraid to state on radio, or his attitude to some guests, Gay was the consummate broadcaster and host.

It is not a cliché to say that there will be no-one quite like him in his style of delivery.

RIP to a broadcasting giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I am not "exira' and delira'" to hear this news :(

Like others, my own mum did her housework to the background chat of Uncle Gaybo on the radio in the mornings, then settled down to the Late Late every Friday night

The Late Late Show used to be on Saturday nights. It moved to Fridays during the 1980s.

Amazing man and an amazing show R.I.P, love him or loathe him he had a fantastic life, am i correct in hearing he was the first to interview the Beatles?

Amazing man and an amazing show R.I.P, love him or loathe him he had a fantastic life, am i correct in hearing he was the first to interview the Beatles?

Yes he was the first to interview them

• Advertisement
Advertisement