Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Gay Byrne

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP
    A true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You can roll it there Colette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can roll it there Colette

Was Colette before or after Roisin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah poor aul Uncle Gaybo. That's a terrible shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

After I think, you can tell someone's age by their goto roll it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aw no. RIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

One of my favourite memories was when Pee Flynn managed to destroy his political career when complaining how hard it was to have three houses to manage.

I found this version of it on the auld youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Gay was some operator with a fantastic career in broadcasting. He was a real national treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

RIP Gaybo.. :(

I know of no Roisin. It was Colette when we came here in 1974 and for years after.

Clareman wrote: »
    After I think, you can tell someone's age by their goto roll it.

RIP

I’m 54

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

A true legend. A great man. Can't believe he's gone.

So sad. In a world of so called celebrity "legends", Gay Byrne truly was one. He was unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very very sad, another big name and personality from my childhood is gone. Just makes you all the more aware that we're all getting older :(

I wonder what the weekly LLS thread on this forum would be like if it were around in Gay's heyday! The current incumbent isn't fit to lace his boots but I'm sure he'd acknowledge that himself to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,628 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

RIP Gaybo :(

Here he is, meeting a long-forgotten beat combo from Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Very sad day.

He was the greatest broadcaster of his time, and there are few people who did more to shape the country.

I had the pleasure of meeting him, he was a Gentleman with huge interest in people.

We won't see his likes again. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad news. Remember much merriment in school when he discussed pogs on one of the toy show years and kept pronouncing them 'pogues'.

Him and Dermot Morgan both gone now:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm pretty sure that Colette was the original of the species.

She was Colette Farmer, originally married to Donal Farmer (RIP) who played Fr. Deveraux in Glenroe. Though they must have divorced at some stage because he was remarried by the time he died in December 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

It surely is a sign I am getting old. Earlier this year my own Mother passed away and now to day I hear Gaybo has died. Like many of her generation she followed him faithfully on the Radio and TV.She often remarked that the late Late was useless after he left it. He was her companion in the morning as she did her house work and later when she retired and her family had moved on. My own earliest memory as a child is going to my Grandmothers with my Dad to watch the Late Late Show as we had no telly. Even though I was quite young I was facinated at the debates that took place I remember Ulick O Connor Dr Paddy Leahy and MIne Bean Ni Cribhin arguing fighting over the issues of the day. He was a focal point as Ireland changed during the 60's,70's and 80's .He helped broaden our minds and was never afraid to challenge the norms of the time. As I grew up I listened faithfully to him each morning and of course the Late Late Shown became a central part of my weekend. We live in a different Ireland to day I think Gay played his part in no small way in the Country we live in to day with all its good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There is a special LLS tribute show on Tuesday live at 9.35pm on RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Him and Dermot Morgan both gone now

Ah no, when did Dermot Morgan go? Granted I hadn't seem him in anything since Fr. Ted, but just figured he became a bit of a recluse or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

RIP Gaybo :(

Here he is, meeting a long-forgotten beat combo from Liverpool.

I recognise yer man from Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Effects wrote: »
    Ah no, when did Dermot Morgan go? Granted I hadn't seem him in anything since Fr. Ted, but just figured he became a bit of a recluse or something.

Seriously he died over 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Effects wrote: »

:eek: Dermot died in 1998!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP Gay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I am not "exira' and delira'" to hear this news :(

Like others, my own mum did her housework to the background chat of Uncle Gaybo on the radio in the mornings, then settled down to the Late Late every Friday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe very sad to hear of the loss of Gay Byrne. He truly was a legend. Cancer is a horrible nasty disease and it does not care if your rich or poor, young or old it can effect us all. I recently lost an uncle to it and we buried him last week.

RIP Gay Byrne

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement