Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern in bid to beat telecoms threat to economy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Fwiw, I don't see any of the parties keeping such a pre-election promise - it's the same BS every time - just a different subject this time from Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Why not sumbit our own candidate for the Election ? We have seen what Bard / Nial ? - Adam - Martin - Elana to name but a few can and have done for us all. So why not put our own candidate forward ? Would it be ok if i made this a New Topic or should i just leave it be ? I know that I for 1 would vote for any of the people that are involved in IOFFL. What do ye think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Fwiw, I don't see any of the parties keeping such a pre-election promise - it's the same BS every time - just a different subject this time from Bertie.
    If the Communications Bill proceeds before the election, we'll know they are beginning to take these issues seriously. There may be some hope then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I dont know if the irish system is the same as in england but but anyone can run in an election over there if you hand over something like £1000 to register their party (monster raving loony party being one of these ?)Though i dont think for one minute that whoever would run for us would win,it would get alot of press :).It may even get one our people on a debate program up against berti himselt on national TV That id like to see :)

Stone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yea its the same thing here, except that it would be 1000 per td we put forward. that or somethign like 5,000 signatures.

actually i think this should be ioffl next big thing, to try and get someone elected to the dail.

personal id send off 20 euro and im sure alot more would to, all we need would be 50 other members of the 1000. and we would have the 1000 euro.

I really think this coudl be the next big think to rally behind. nothing like a nice rally. i sure we would get alot of board support for the signatures.

probably should try someone from north dublin, were most of our support seems to be centred, somebody that experienced with banking, somebody experienced with unline community, somebody thats been with ioffl fro mteh start.

yes lets get devore elected. id vote for him, and id get my family to vote for him. probably not a showballs change in hell of getting elected, but imagine the press if we even got 1% of the vote. it would be huge. hell imagine if we won.

ill write up somethign tomorrow and put it to the board.
    the general election is just to important not to try and milk.

first things first, find out the exat requiremnts to become a TD.

i thin kafew people, might start to take notice if we actually did this, win loose or draw. and i know devore woudl be interested as hes said so before.

• Advertisement

I went ahead and made my suggestion a seporate post on the Boards. I apologise for doing that i didnt realise it might become a troll. I asked for it to be removed also. But i still say that we should have someone from IOFFL put forward as a candidate. I have faith in IOFFL and im sure there are many more people here that think like i do and would only be too willing to support them. Please think about it, its like what Boston said:
    yes lets get devore elected. id vote for him, and id get my family to vote for him. probably not a showballs change in hell of getting elected, but imagine the press if we even got 1% of the vote. it would be huge. hell imagine if we won.

I totally agree with him. Why not give it a try ?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'm northside central, any IOFL candidate would get my vote, and probably those of my family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Theres always loads of 'novelty' candidates in each election, They rarely get much press attention.
    You only notice the MRLP cos well, its hard not to notice them:)
    Aiden Walsh ran for a seat a few years ago (which was pretty funny:) ), hes a complete nutter and didnt really get much attention.
    unless you can get a lucky break and really catch the publics imagination its waste of money tbh:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I think the chances of getting noticed is quite high simply because berti himself is setting this up to be an issue in the next election.As we all know even 2FM ran a bit about the blackout the good work irelandoffline is doing.Not only that most of these looneys that run for the fun of it dont have any real message were as we do.Personaly id be happy to chip in €20 jeez thats not even 2 hours in the pub(well worth the gamble) as far as i can see the only problem would be getting someone who looks good in a suit.:D

Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Further comment in today's Indo on Bertie's memo.
    This is saying that the private sector has not provided the services that individual and corporate customers want and need.

Surely this has to do with the protection of monopolies in the field of telecommunications.

Competitors simply cannot get a look in. ALTO, the group which represents telecommunications operators, has been saying this for over two years.

The regulator could therefore be blamed for not taking a more aggressive stance.

But the regulator can point to the inadequacies in legislation which prevent her from pushing too hard for example, the ridiculous piece of legislation which meant the most she could fine a company for breaches of agreements was £5,000. Thankfully, that is being changed.

Mr Ahern's document refers to the need for a review of strategy and radical new proposals.

<Edit: "the ridiculous piece of legislation which meant the most she could fine a company for breaches of agreements was £5,000." Shouldn't this be £1,500?>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its not weather we win or loose, afew people, might wise up to us, it would also shut those amoung us, up about us not doing anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

The paper says that "if we get this right we can be in the top three or four information led economies for the next decade

We may also have to wait a decade before we, the consumers get any hint of adsl, me's all sad now :(

Yurma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Thats probably (in Political language) meant to actually read by th end of the next decade. (which starts in 8 years.
    So right on track then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Stonemason
    I dont know if the irish system is the same as in england but but anyone can run in an election over there if you hand over something like £1000 to register their party (monster raving loony party being one of these ?)Though i dont think for one minute that whoever would run for us would win,it would get alot of press :).It may even get one our people on a debate program up against berti himselt on national TV That id like to see :)

Stone :D

I wouldnt be adverse to sending off €10/€20 if were going to do this :)

The Post.ie 16 Dec 2001
    Former Eircom director Paul Mackay said the government will have to invest up to £1 billion over the next few years to upgrade the national telecommunications infrastructure, as its new owner, Valentia, is unlikely to make the necessary investment.

£1 Billion is a lot of money. Valentia wont do it and IMHO the Government wont too. So i wonder if they could give it to me instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Manic
    The Post.ie 16 Dec 2001

£1 Billion is a lot of money. Valentia wont do it and IMHO the Government wont too. So i wonder if they could give it to me instead :D

I agree. Especially since the Government spent millions of our (tax payers') money over the years. However, as soon as Eircom went private - screw the lot of us. And now! - now we got the new shower wanting more hard earned tax payers' money being thrown in.

WTF do they think they're at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by Manic
    Former Eircom director Paul Mackay said the government will have to invest up to £1 billion over the next few years to upgrade the national telecommunications infrastructure, as its new owner, Valentia, is unlikely to make the necessary investment.

Oh, that's a priceless quote, Manic :)

One national telecommunications infrastructure, sold as seen. I'm sure the network was in a poor state before it was sold but we weren't selling a hi-tech communications network. It's exclusive ownership of the only local loop in Ireland. Valentia will have to find the money themselves if they want to extend their monopoly to other products.

If the government have money like that to spend and they want to spend it on telecoms they should be developing an alternative local loop in areas that do not already have other alternatives, such as cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adomixer

prob is BS, but let's look at the most glaring error. we 'might / will' fall behind other countries? MAN, we're so far behind already, before months of task forces and reports, we may never catch up, never mind be leaders, in the e-commerce etc. arena.

just like rte with their plans for digital tv, which they only recently dropped because of financial reasons. the more obvious problem was SKY had them beat years ago. why can this country never learn from others, but instead insist on starting at the bottom, ignoring so much information available from others.

jeeeeezzzzz.......

ADO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

nothing is going to change,

Advertisement