Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is sociology a real science?

• 04-08-2020 9:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

My other half studied sociology up to a masters level, and maintains that it isn’t.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I studied it for years, and yes it is.
    It has been taken over by politics (even when I studied the subject it was extremely leftist).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's a proper, respectable discipline alright, but as Biko points out it's been largely railroaded by American-style "identity politics" buffa-biscuit.

It's a social science, based on surveys and observations. Is it in the same league as astrophysics. No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

biko wrote: »
    I studied it for years, and yes it is.
    It has been taken over by politics (even when I studied the subject it was extremely leftist).

She did use a lack of objectivity as her main argument, so I’m assuming that’s what she meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It's a social science, based on surveys and observations. Is it in the same league as astrophysics. No.

There is a league of sciences?
    What is top of these rankings?

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »

The Science of Literalism. Literally.

A graduate yourself, I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was always seen as an “easy” subject to take on for first year for anyone doing a “wishy-washy” Arts degree in UCD back in my day.

Has that changed at all?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes.

Maths -> Physics -> the other phyiscal ones -> the social ones -> economics -> psychology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

She did use a lack of objectivity as her main argument, so I’m assuming that’s what she meant.

Your girlfriends opinion on whether it is or it isn’t science is hardly objective either, is it?

It’s one of the sciences alright, but like any discipline or subject, it’s corrupted by human influence.

It’s a well observed phenomenon btw since the inception of the social sciences. It’s only in recent decades however, ironically due to the rising popularity of the social sciences, that it’s become more noticeable -

The over-sampling of American college students may be skewing our understanding of human behavior, finds an analysis by researchers from the University of British Columbia. In a forthcoming issue of Brain and Behavioral Sciences, anthropologist Joe Henrich, PhD, and psychologists Steven Heine, PhD, and Ara Norenzayan, PhD, review the available database of comparative social and behavioral science studies. They found that people from Western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic (WEIRD) societies — who represent as much as 80 percent of study participants, but only 12 percent of the world’s population — are not only unrepresentative of humans as a species, but on many measures they’re outliers.

Are your findings ‘WEIRD’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In some parts of the world yes. In Ireland with our class of academics, not so much. I'm sure we have one or two standouts in the field but we've some real time wasters too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Obviously maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Obviously maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, it's an 'ology', innit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

https://xkcd.com/435/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maths isn't a science

Your girlfriends opinion on whether it is or it isn’t science is hardly objective either, is it?

It’s one of the sciences alright, but like any discipline or subject, it’s corrupted by human influence.

It’s a well observed phenomenon btw since the inception of the social sciences. It’s only in recent decades however, ironically due to the rising popularity of the social sciences, that it’s become more noticeable -

The over-sampling of American college students may be skewing our understanding of human behavior, finds an analysis by researchers from the University of British Columbia. In a forthcoming issue of Brain and Behavioral Sciences, anthropologist Joe Henrich, PhD, and psychologists Steven Heine, PhD, and Ara Norenzayan, PhD, review the available database of comparative social and behavioral science studies. They found that people from Western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic (WEIRD) societies — who represent as much as 80 percent of study participants, but only 12 percent of the world’s population — are not only unrepresentative of humans as a species, but on many measures they’re outliers.

Are your findings ‘WEIRD’?

How can an individuals opinion be anything other than subjective? However I dare say having studied the subject to a masters level, her opinion is fairly valid.

Maths isn't a science

Maths follows a rigorous structure of events leading to a tentative conclusion, so I would say it’s certainly more of a science than sociology.

If a area of study is longer (much longer) on soft theory than it is on evidence - as is the case with sociology, I don't consider it science as I define the term. Same with subjects like psychology.

That doesn't mean I don't consider them worthwhile academic pursuits, they clearly are.

How can an individuals opinion be anything other than subjective? However I dare say having studied the subject to a masters level, her opinion is fairly valid.

That’s exactly my point. Your girlfriends opinions are subjective, but that being true says nothing about whether sociology itself is objective. Having studied the subject to Masters level doesn’t make her opinions on whether sociology is a science or not any more or less valid than anyone else’s - opinions are still subjective.

The science of sociology itself, is objective, however it’s influenced by humans subjective opinions based upon their own observations. I wouldn’t agree with you that because a person has a Masters in sociology they’re qualified to determine whether the discipline is a science or not. It’s simply the case that it is objective, no matter how your girlfriend feels about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I have an undergraduate degree in physics, a masters in economics, and a PhD that had elements of social science and sociology.

Those of you who think of sociology as not being a science are completely wrong. Ok, it's very different than physics but the social sciences simply cannot use the same approaches as the hard sciences - just because this is the case it does not make them any less valid.

The OP suggests that the hard sciences are free from subjectivity. Many academics carrying out statistical analysis don't have statistical training and often time results may be misinterpreted, or worse manipulated or p-hacked.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly my point. Your girlfriends opinions are subjective, but that being true says nothing about whether sociology itself is objective. Having studied the subject to Masters level doesn’t make her opinions on whether sociology is a science or not any more or less valid than anyone else’s - opinions are still subjective.

The science of sociology itself, is objective, however it’s influenced by humans subjective opinions based upon their own observations. I wouldn’t agree with you that because a person has a Masters in sociology they’re qualified to determine whether the discipline is a science or not. It’s simply the case that it is objective, no matter how your girlfriend feels about it.

But this isn’t about someone’s opinion, the thread wasn’t called “Is my partner right?”. I’ve no idea why your chasing this line.

But this isn’t about someone’s opinion, the thread wasn’t called “Is my partner right?”. I’ve no idea why your chasing this line.

I’m chasing it precisely because the question you asked was “Is sociology a real science?” and gave your girlfriends opinion that it isn’t, as though she is in a position to make that determination based upon the fact that she has a Masters in sociology.

Your question relates closer to philosophy than sociology, but that’s a whole other discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

endacl wrote: »
    Like astrology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

TCD Business Economics and Social studies.. not even they have the Chutzpah to call is social "science"

I’m chasing it precisely because the question you asked was “Is sociology a real science?” and gave your girlfriends opinion that it isn’t, as though she is in a position to make that determination based upon the fact that she has a Masters in sociology.

Your question relates closer to philosophy than sociology, but that’s a whole other discussion.

No I don’t think you understood the question correctly, nor have you answered it effectively.

No I don’t think you understood the question correctly, nor have you answered it effectively.

Ok then, cheers, I’ll leave you to it so.

Ok then, cheers, I’ll leave you to it so.

Good, that’s for the best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maths follows a rigorous structure of events leading to a tentative conclusion, so I would say it’s certainly more of a science than sociology.

And that's what makes it a science? What's your understanding of a real science then?

endacl wrote: »

Jesus that's an obscure one!

• Advertisement

And that's what makes it a science? What's your understanding of a real science then?

Some say that mathematics isn't a science because it doesn't rely on empirical evidence. Others, like Gauss, would have it quite the contrary, that mathematics is queen, mother, grandmother and dotty Auntie Mildred who has way too many cats of the sciences. I suspect we won't solve it satisfactorily here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I consider sociology as much of a science as economics or theology is... i.e. not a science. Sure there are surveys statistics and reasoned discussion but to claim that these follow the same quantitative principles as the 'hard' sciences is simply an enlightenment era wet dream.

Psychology is an interesting one. Parts are pure fluff but the parts about cognition or the links with neuroscience arguably could be seen as a part of biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

jimgoose wrote: »
    Some say that mathematics isn't a science because it doesn't rely on empirical evidence. Others, like Gauss, would have it quite the contrary, that mathematics is queen, mother, grandmother and dotty Auntie Mildred who has way too many cats of the sciences. I suspect we won't solve it satisfactorily here. :pac:

I thought mathematics was considered a branch of logic because of those non emperical qualities. It underpins science instead of being a science itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If it was a real science, it would be open to opposing views like those of Jordan Peterson and engage with them...but instead he is cancelled and shouted down by the folks who declare sociology is a real science

Ficheall wrote: »
    Like astrology?

Often confused with bolloxology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Often confused with bolloxology.

Another branch of codology?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Social sciences are to science as the Women's Mini Marathon is to Marathon running. Some superficial similarities but essentially very different.

I thought mathematics was considered a branch of logic because of those non emperical qualities. It underpins science instead of being a science itself.

Yes, I think that's what Gauss was coming at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What percentage of sociology graduates in the past few years in America are trump voter's ?

Be amazed if its higher than 5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If it was a real science, it would be open to opposing views like those of Jordan Peterson and engage with them...but instead he is cancelled and shouted down by the folks who declare sociology is a real science

Cancelled? He's probably the most famous academic in the world.

Arghus wrote: »

I’d say famous and infamous are 2 very different things. He was definitely a target of cancel culture, whether that was successful or not, depends on what you define as cancelled I guess.

His name was certainly dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A science is a systematic enterprise that organises and advances knowledge via testable explanations and predictions.

Mathematics is certainly a science. I can’t imagine how anyone would say otherwise. It’s the most sciency of all the sciences. Sociology may be, depending on how rigorously it employs testable explanations and predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Its absolute waffle that goes off in tangents. I currently study it and my god its complete garbage. The Chicago School sociology is extremely good and very interesting so is Marx, Weber, Stuart Hall etc but the rest of it it just a bunch of sociologists writing about other sociologists work and patting each other on the back. My son is an Astrophysicist, now that is science, most Sociology is just made up as they go along not saying there is not great people teaching or doing Sociology work but the reality is that most of it is absolute garbage and shouldn't even be a separate subject in University. Its a subject that bluffers can use to act like they are experts by using lots of words nobody in real life uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Arghus wrote: »

His had many events cancelled, due to pressure for folks who disagree with him...

I will say i disagree with a lot of what he says, but agree with some, so i'm no fan boy...

But if you want a field to be deemed a science you need to defend your position, but not by shutting down points of view that contravene your position...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Political science

Its absolute waffle that goes off in tangents. I currently study it and my god its complete garbage. The Chicago School sociology is extremely good and very interesting so is Marx, Weber, Stuart Hall etc but the rest of it it just a bunch of sociologists writing about other sociologists work and patting each other on the back. My son is an Astrophysicist, now that is science, most Sociology is just made up as they go along not saying there is not great people teaching or doing Sociology work but the reality is that most of it is absolute garbage and shouldn't even be a separate subject in University. Its a subject that bluffers can use to act like they are experts by using lots of words nobody in real life uses.

Phenomenology.

Is the Chicago School similar to the Law version? Basically the enrichment of the largest number. That's a fúcking scary philosophy when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's an 'ology'.
    Which in some people's minds =science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

My background is in the Natural Sciences, so I have a bit of difficulty in accepting Sociology as a science. That isn't to say that I think it is a fools errand, but that it is more geared towards subjective truths based upon different social structures... the sciences that ai have studied are about empirical evidence.

Sociology can raise some interesting ideas and theories, but it doesn't have the same application.

I can apply the knowledge that soil is the coming together of the four spheres (Aerosphere, Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere) globally to understand how, when, and why soil is formed. Any sociology finding is going to be very unique to that area.

My background is in the Natural Sciences, so I have a bit of difficulty in accepting Sociology as a science. That isn't to say that I think it is a fools errand, but that it is more geared towards subjective truths based upon different social structures... the sciences that ai have studied are about empirical evidence.

Sociology can raise some interesting ideas and theories, but it doesn't have the same application.

I can apply the knowledge that soil is the coming together of the four spheres (Aerosphere, Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere) globally to understand how, when, and why soil is formed. Any sociology finding is going to be very unique to that area.

Likewise. I’m not in anyway, shape or form trying to denigrate the subject, however I’d consider it more akin to let’s say critical theory in literature, than an actual science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Physics is the big daddy of science.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

purity.png

• Advertisement