Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pub Chats

Options
  • 08-04-2020 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

See this elsewhere. a thread devoted to some random discussions on all things GAA (past and present) as a diversion to fill the long evenings ahead.

Firstly: Your top 5 GAA players of all time.

No real criteria, it can be players you grew up watching or those from before your time you still think warrant a place on your list. Doesn't have to be someone with the most medals, All-Stars etc. Doesn't have to be from your own county etc

Secondly: Your favorite every game and why

Again no criteria. Can be county, club, school etc whatever you want it to be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭C__MC

From my lifetime

Hurling
    Henry shefflin
    TJ Reid
    JJ Deleaney
    Joe Canning
    Seamus callanan

Football
    Diarmuid Connolly
    Tomas o se
    Pauraic Joyce
    James Mc Carthy
    Brian Fenton

Best game of hurling
    Kk v Tipp 2014 draw

Football
    Dublin v mayo 2015 draw

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Based on what I've seen myself so not of all time!!

H
    King Henry
    Tommy Walsh
    Eoin Kelly (Tipp)
    Joe Canning
    John Mullane

F
    Michael Murphy
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Owen Mulligan
    Kieran Donaghy
    Sean cavanagh

1980 AI hurling final,Galway/Limerick.
    First time in Croker on a school trip from Donegal!

2019 AI club final Corofin/Crokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hard to pick 5 favourites out of all the great players i've seen but i'll give it a go

Football
    Ciaran Kilkenny, Dublin
    Brian Fenton, Dublin
    Jack.McCaffrey, Dublin
    Michael Murphy, Donegal
    Sean Cavanagh, Tyrone

Hurling
    Eoin Kelly, Tipp
    John Leahy, Tipp
    DJ Carey, KK
    JJ Delaney, KK
    Ken McGrath, Wat

Best game
    Football
    Dublin v Mayo All Ire final 2017. Had it all. Lovely day. Great scores. Red cards. Connolly's introduction. Last gasp winning free in injury time. Keegan throwing his gadget and missing. Dublin playing risky possession running down the last two minutes. Full time whistle. Hugged my Mam (only match i was ever at with her). Went off to celebrate. Great day.

Hurling
    Tipp v KK All Ire final 2009, had it all. Bar the result. Ferocious hurling from start to finish. Tipp were class but Benny Dunne really let himself and the team down. Richie Powers terrible decision of a penalty when for me it was a free out. Tipp spurning two great goal chances. Comerfords goal right after Shefflins penalty to break Tipps resolve. My Dads a Tipp man and it broke my heart see his head bowed at the end but it was the best game i've ever seen.

Favourite game
    Football
    2011 Dublin v Kerry All Ire final. The ending of a small famine and the beginning of a large feast.

Hurling
    2010 Tipp v Kilkenny All Ire final. Tipp getting revenge for the previous years hurt and stopping Cody and co. doing the immortal 5 in a row. Quite rightly that was left for Jim Gavin and his city slickers to do a decade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Apologies OP i realise now you didn't ask for best games but i got a bit carried away and i've a lot of time on my hands these days. Too much. Good crack though. Good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Football
    Peter Canavan
    Michael Murphy
    Colm Cooper
    Anthony Tohill
    Matty Forde

Hurling
    Henry Shefflin
    Joe Canning
    JJ Delaney
    DJ Carey
    Brian Whelehan

Favourite ever game
    2010 Wexford senior football final: Castletown 0-12 Kilanerin 0-9. Having grown up in the 90s seeing the neighbours win the title every second year, edging closer to our tally as we in the midst of a drought, and with Matty Forde an ominous presence up front, it was wonderful :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ciaran Carey
    Mick Mackey
    TJ Reid
    Brian Corcoran
    Joe Canning

Peter Canavan
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Colm Cooper
    Stephen Cluxton
    Ciaran Whelan

Limerick AI win 2018

Dublin AI win 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

Apologies OP i realise now you didn't ask for best games but i got a bit carried away and i've a lot of time on my hands these days. Too much. Good crack though. Good thread.

Well people can add to it as well and list whatever they like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Football

Gooch
    Peter Canavan
    Michael Murphy
    Brian Fenton
    James Mc Carthy

Hurling

DJ Carey
    John Fenton
    Tommy Walsh
    Seamus Callanan
    Joe Canning

Heresy no King Henry,of course he's top 5 but trying to mix things up a tad.

2017 Mayo v Dublin

Yet another loss but IMO the finest modern All Ireland football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

Not saying they were the best, but these are my favourites.
    Football:
    Peter Canavan
    Colm Cooper
    Seamus Moynihan
    Padraig Joyce
    Trevor Giles

Hurling:
    DJ Carey
    Tommy Walsh
    Joe Canning
    Noel McGrath
    John Mullane

Best match: Kildare v Meath(1st replay 1997). An epic...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Favourite players

Seamus Moynihan
    Lee Keegan
    Darragh O'Se
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Ciaran McDonald

I could watch that 5 a side play all day.

Favourite game: Any game the kids are playing in. Aside from that, Mayo Dublin 06 Semi, a rollercoaster of emotions from the warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

Hard to pick just 5 favourite players..

Football
    Michael Murphy, no explanation needed.
    Martin Shovlin (Donegal) would go through brick wall for ye
    Matte Forde (wexford) unreal talent and some unbelievable scores
    Peter Lambert (Tipp) same as above, both lads would have walked onto any team in their day
    Vinny Murphy (Dubs).. having watched the 92 AI final a few times recently, that man was basically unmarkable on form, on another day, he could have it the net a few times in the final..
    Cluxton.. added a 6th as his distribution over the years, has def been some bonus to that Dublin team..

Best game
    Donegal v Kildare and no, not 2011 but 10 years earlier i think in 2001, we got well ahead, hammering them, came back and beat us by a point, we had little support that day but always thought that was some game

Favourite game
    1992, AI final obviously beating the Dubs on their own patch was unreal but for me, beating Derry in the Ulster final with 14 men was the big one, they had won the National League and dethroned the reigning AI Champs Down so we were meant to be a stepping stone for them....And on the same day, Clare beat Kerry to win Munster and stole our headlines:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hurling
    Dj Carey - wizard
    Henry Shefflin - The king
    Diarmuid Lyng - Such talent
    Ken McGrath - unbelievable hurler
    Brendan Cummins - best ever?

Football -
    Gooch
    Kieran Donaghy
    Graham Geraghty
    Ciaran McDonald
    Padraic Joyce

Game-
    2006 All Ireland Senior Hurling Final.
    Kilkenny V Cork - Kilkenny stopped Cork getting 3 in a row, and started the takeover of hurling to Noreside.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Somw of mine who might a bit different

Hurling

Shane Brick (Kerry)

In some ways he never got to see him at his very best as had a lot of injuries when he should have been in his prime. Was very good during the 2003 championship when Kerry went to the last round of he qualfiers. As also brillent at club level.

Nicky Horan (Meath)

In the early 2000's was right up there with some of the best in the counties. Was one of the top scorers in the championship for a few seasons. Won a Railway Cup as well from what i remember.

Liam Watson (Antrim)

Another who we probally didn;t get to see him at his best, for many different reasons... His displays in the 2010 All-Ireland quater-final and 2012 club final showed how good he could really be.

James Young (Laois)

Nominated twice for an All-Star in 2006 and 2007. One of the top scoers in the championship for a few seasons, and at his rest was very good. How things ended for some might take away from it a little.

Shane Dooley (Offaly)

In another era he'd probally go down as one of the greats. Some of his scoring rates have been up there with the Horgans and Cannings. One of the all time championship top scorers to boot.

Football

Padraic Davis (Longford)

An often forgotten brilliant player. As good as anyone during the 2000's. Another player like Mattie Forde etc who benafited from getting more games in the qualifer era.

Mike Frank Russell (Kerry)

Might seem odd to have a five time All-Ireland winner in this list with the others. But many seem to forget just how good he actually was. From 2000 to around 2002 was unstoppable at times.

Frankie Dolan (Roacommon)

Sometimes better know for his club football, but was also a great intercounty player for a few seasons. More over in 2003 when he was very unlucky to not get an All-Star. His displays againest Offaly and Kildare were top class.

Beano McDonald (Laois)

Only for injuries he could really have been one of the best. Unlucky to not get an All-Star in 2003. Was unreal at times at underage level.

Ciaran McManus (Offaly)

While he had a somewhat good start to his carrer with a Leinster and League title but like in hurling Offaly fell behind the rest. Was great during the International Rules as well.

10 footballers because I don’t know enough hurlers.

Alan Brogan, Derek Duggan, Kevin O’Brien, Kieran Donaghy, Padraig Joyce, Greg Blaney, Michael Murphy, Colin Corkery, Johnny Nevin, Conor McManus.

Favourite game ever - Kerry Mayo replay in Limerick.

Memory - the sea of red and black in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Favourite Hurlers

Joe Canning - superb hurler, the whole package.
    TJ Reid - keeps KK ticking, great hand and strike
    Ben and Jerry O Connor - skill and engine to burn. Joy to watch.
    Seán Óg Ó hAilpín - great story, a warrior and a leader
    Patrick Horgan - the best wrists I've ever seen.
    Lar Corbett - lightning fast, great for a goal as seen in 2010.
    John Mullane - superb hurler, so quick on the turn, a cult hero.
    Davy Fitz (as manager) - I just love his passion, he's entertaining.

Favourite Footballers

Graham Canty - great leader, fulcrum to any team he played on.
    Colm O Neill - two great feet, silky skill, great to watch.
    Colm Cooper - one of the best ever. Made a fool of many a team.
    Owen Mulligan - cult hero, blonde hair, great footballer and that goal...
    Michael Murphy - like Canning, is the whole package.

Favourite Cork Match

Strangely enough it was a Qualifier. Cork v Galway 2008. I saw first hand the coming of Joe Canning, scoring 2-12 at only 19 years of age but most importantly it was how the game materialised too. Cork were down to 14 men as Donal Og Cusack got sent off, we were losing at half. It didn't look good. But Cork rallied in the 2nd half. It was a memorable game, where we gave the team a standing ovation at the full time whistle. It was probably the last real kick in that great Cork Team of the 00s.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Cork's Under 20 Football victoryover the all conquering Dubs last year. Losing by 9 points after 15 minutes to go on to win by 8 was magical. Cracking atmosphere that day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Joe Cooney the original.
    Martin Naughton classy, highly valued on 80s team yet underrated due to JC.
    Kevin Broderick for that point alone.
    Joe Canning the second coming.
    Ciaran Carey should have at least one AI medal.

Bomber Liston.
    Padraic Joyce god.
    Peter Canavan.
    The gooch.
    Ciaran McDonald much and all as I hate mayo.

Favourite game AI semi final 2017 just for joe cannings winning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Hurling:
    DJ Carey
    Shefflin
    JJ Delaney
    TJ Reid
    Joe Canning

Football:
    Gooch
    Trevor Giles
    Matty Forde
    Padraig Joyce
    Maurice Fitzgerald

Best games:
    Hurling 2014 kilkenny v tipp, football Dublin kerry 2016

Favourite memory:
    96 leinster hurling final Wexford v offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Players:
    Tommy Walsh
    DJ Carey
    TJ Reid
    Shefflin
    Joe Canning
    Obvious KK bias!!!!

Game:
    2019 AI semi final vs Limerick, just because it’s so fresh in the memory.
    But 2006 final win vs Cork was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hurling
    DJ Carey
    Seanie McMahon
    Tommy Walsh
    Tony O Sullivan
    Ken McGrath

Football
    Maurice Fitzgearld
    Tomas O Se
    Seamus Moynihan
    Colm Cooper
    Mickey Linden

Best game of hurling
    Cork V Waterford 2004 Munster final, was at the game and it had everything, some great performances on both sides, Sean Og V Dan the man was some battle, Paul Flynn scoring a great goal from a free as well,

Football
    Dublin V Kerry 2001 the drawn game in Thurles, game started late as the dubs fans were late, we went ahead and they pulled it back to take the lead the comeback started with a Vinnie Murphy goal but then Maurice Fitz did his party piece to draw it, I was standing behind that goals that day, best score I've ever seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Anthony Tohill, Joe Brolly, Enda Muldoon, Paddy Bradley and Jim McGuinness simply because he had long hair.

Favourite game was Derry v Antrim in 2000 at Casement Park, it was a very hot day and was one of the first games I went to. A random fact about this game is that it was the first game Derry wore their new kit and some players were still wearing the old 1998-2000 shorts. I loved those shorts but I could never find a pair in the shops, though I did find a pair of 1993-1998 shorts in the sports shop in 2000.

I recall Derry used to have a supporters shop in the town of Maghera back in those days, I was only in it once, I recall they sold framed photos of the 1993 team. I don't think they sold the beautiful 1998-2000 shorts either. It was much harder to get GAA gear back then, I remember my mother tried to order me the 2002 Derry goalkeeper shirt via a sport shop and they couldn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

From the 'weaker' counties...
    Sambo McNaughton and Cloot McFetridge (Antrim)
    John Taylor and Pat Critchley (Laois)
    Paddy Quirke (Carlow)
    Christy Walsh (Kerry)
    David Kilcoyne (Westmeath) ..... all All Star nominees back in the day with Sambo and Pat C getting awards.

Football
    Willie Brennan (Laois)
    Tommy Murphy (Wicklow)
    Mattie Forde (Wexford)
    Dessie Dolan (Westmeath)
    Ian Ryan (Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Exiled1 wrote: »
    From the 'weaker' counties...
    Sambo McNaughton and Cloot McFetridge (Antrim)
    John Taylor and Pat Critchley (Laois)
    Paddy Quirke (Carlow)
    Christy Walsh (Kerry)
    David Kilcoyne (Westmeath) ..... all All Star nominees back in the day with Sambo and Pat C getting awards.

Football
    Willie Brennan (Laois)
    Tommy Murphy (Wicklow)
    Mattie Forde (Wexford)
    Dessie Dolan (Westmeath)
    Ian Ryan (Limerick)

Interesting one, mine would be
    Hurling:
    Shane Conway (Kerry)
    John Egan (Kerry)
    Shane Brick (Kerry)
    Andrew Mitchell (Westmeath)
    Gareth Johnson (Down)
    Liam Watson (Antrim)
    Brendan Murtagh (Westmeath)

Football:
    Declan Browne
    Matty Forde
    Dessie Doaln
    Beano Mcdonald was class
    Mick Lawlor

With it looking unlikely there's going to be any type of championship this year would the Railway Cup be a runner later in the year does anyone think? Football and hurling on different weekends? There would only be three games in both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Best (non-Meath) players I've seen in the flesh:
    Declan Browne
    Mattie Forde
    Michael Murphy
    Sean Cavanagh
    Conor McManus

Favourite game (in terms of quality): 1997 - Meath v Kildare (1st replay). An absolute classic between, in my view, the two best teams in the country that year. Looked like Kildare were strolling shortly after half time and even in the last couple of minutes, after Giles missed a penalty, it looked like Kildare would prevail. Then Giles palmed the ball to the net to set up extra time. Again, Kildare looked like they were strolling after reeling off 1-3 without reply in the first half of extra time only for Jody Devine to come up with 4 incredible points from play in the second half to actually help put us one point up with time nearly up. But Kildare managed their first point of the second half to take it to a second replay.
    Genuinely think that either team would have gone onto win the championship outright had they won the first game. Meath may have knocked Kildare out in the third game, but with all the injuries and suspensions of Meath players after the three games, there was no real chance of winning the final. In essence, both teams knocked the other out.

Personal favourite game: Ratoath v Summerhill, 2019 Meath SFC Final. My own club backed up years of underage success with our first ever Meath senior football championship. Got off to the worst possible start, conceding a goal in the first minute. But 3 goals in the remainder of the first half meant we held on fairly comfortably in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be biased if I tried to pick being from Kerry so best 5 Kerry footballers I have seen.
    Jack O Shea
    Pat Spillane
    John Egan
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Kieran Donoghy

Non Kerry players
    Matt O Connor (Offaly)
    Martin O Connell (Meath)
    Anothony Tohill ( Derry)
    Brian Fenton ( Dublin)
    Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

Best player yet to see at his prime David Clifford.

Best game ever seen was an Kerry V Tyrone 1986 All Ireland Final. Kerry 7 point down and Tyrone with one hand on the cup and Kerry win by 8 points.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Top 5 favourite footballers
    Alan Brogan
    Declan O Sullivan
    Padraig Joyce
    Ciaran McDonald
    Stephen O Neill

Hurling
    Joe canning
    Shefflin
    Tommy Walsh