Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual commutes

Options
  • 20-10-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

My own isn't very interesting, living a short stroll away from work. But I know some people who get the boat to work every day. I've heard of people commuting crazy distances as in Mitchelstown to Dublin or even longer distance. Place I worked in before it wouldn't be unusual to see a fella landing up in his tractor and nobody would take a bit of notice - this place wasn't a farm either.

There's another forum I read that had a fella who took his own boat to the Isle of Wight from the mainland every day. I'm sure there is at least one fecker here who paraglides his way in every day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Seaplane (as in the movie Dealers).

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Not paragliding.

But I worked with a guy who used to rollerskate to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

There was a lad in the Galway forum recently asking if anyone else was commuting from Galway to Dublin City for work everyday and how was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

In my last job i used to cycle 60km a day. Was some challenge. Go to bed early and get up early.
    Great exercise as it was an office job. Had a few near death experiences so don't cycle anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I worked for a company who employed a guy who commuted from Roosky in Roscommon to Dublin City on a daily basis and back for work. 1 hour and 15 each way. He wasnt on that great money I’d imagine 33,000 so i often wondered how it was actually worth his while...

Ok property was cheaper by a ways but what he’d be spending on juice, the stress, boredom and impact of almost 12 hours a week driving on top of 40 hours very physical work.... I’d rather be struggling and paying a bit extra than having my energy and cash taken in that manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

My own isn't very interesting, living a short stroll away from work. But I know some people who get the boat to work every day. I've heard of people commuting crazy distances as in Mitchelstown to Dublin or even longer distance. Place I worked in before it wouldn't be unusual to see a fella landing up in his tractor and nobody would take a bit of notice - this place wasn't a farm either.

There's another forum I read that had a fella who took his own boat to the Isle of Wight from the mainland every day. I'm sure there is at least one fecker here who paraglides his way in every day

I follow a guy on Strava who seems to get the boat to work on the Isle of Wight everyday whilst also cycling 60k a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I work for a University in the UK, at the start my commute was Dublin Airport to Gatwick, collect a car, drive an hour an half, do three days and stay two nights, come back for four and repeat.

Only do it once a month now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nothing too usual but I ride a motorbike on the M50 everyday (when I'm not cycling), I try to count the amount of **** using their mobile phones either chatting, texting or browsing social media pages.

I usually lose count, but I've a lovely motorbike filtering past the pricks to keep me happy :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I cycle 24km from Lucan to UCD and back every day.

I bought an ebike to take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brother is a painter and lives up in the gold coast in Australia.
    He's in a good way of going and a lot of his work is now high end properties owned by very wealthy clients.
    He spends about a month every year doing a house out on a private island...Outside decking, internal walls and ceilings and a small bit of repair work.
    The owner sends a speedboat across every morning to pick him up and then drops him back later that day!!
    He sends me a few pics and videos on whatsapp of the boat coming over and blasting back to the owner's house!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not daily but used to work overseas in the 90s.. 6 weeks on - 4 weeks off.. Used to take me 5 flights to get there

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've heard of people commuting crazy distances as in Mitchelstown to Dublin or even longer distance.

I worked with someone years ago who did that exact commute, and this was long before the motorway was built. She managed to keep it up for a year or so, but eventually getting up at 5.30am every morning and not getting home until at least 8.30pm took its toll and she packed it in to become a veterinary assistant in Mitchelstown, even though it was completely unrelated to what she worked at in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

I commute to the desk across the room from me now.

I'm done dealing with other people on the roads and in public transport.

5uspect wrote: »

What sort of time are you doing the commute each way in ?

Looking at the video and plenty of fûckwits engaging in one of my pet hate activities, parking ‘on’ or ‘in’ a cycle lane... as per usual, Gardai not arsed but dare to go through a light on amber in a car and pow... easy to imagine which is likely to cause a greater danger but nope, ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

5uspect wrote: »

Is there a reason you go through the Park and Strawberry Beds over the N4?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Strumms wrote: »
    What sort of time are you doing the commute each way in ?

Looking at the video and plenty of fûckwits engaging in one of my pet hate activities, parking ‘on’ or ‘in’ a cycle lane... as per usual, Gardai not arsed but dare to go through a light on amber in a car and pow... easy to imagine which is likely to cause a greater danger but nope, ignored.

I do it in an hour.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there a reason you go through the Park and Strawberry Beds over the N4?

The park and Strawberry Beds are far more pleasant than inhaling exhaust fumes all the way home. Fewer chances of close passes too with the frequency of speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I worked for a company who employed a guy who commuted from Roosky in Roscommon to Dublin City on a daily basis and back for work. 1 hour and 15 each way. He wasnt on that great money I’d imagine 33,000 so i often wondered how it was actually worth his while...

Ok property was cheaper by a ways but what he’d be spending on juice, the stress, boredom and impact of almost 12 hours a week driving on top of 40 hours very physical work.... I’d rather be struggling and paying a bit extra than having my energy and cash taken in that manner.

It's a lot more than an hour and fifteen minutes to Dublin from roosky

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There are are few people around here (Carlow) that commute to Dublin every day.

I hear them sometimes passing the house at 6am and not getting back til well gone 7.

Must be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I worked with a guy who lived somewhere in Carlow and worked in Sandyford, Dublin. His commute involved a 20 minute drive to the nearest town, a Bus Eireann bus to Dublin, a walk to St. Stephens Green, Luas to Sandyford and a walk to the office. I think he left home around 5:30am and got back around 7:30pm. Got maderedundant a year later and couldn’t have been happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Longboard from house to DART and longboard to work. The place I was working was a nice slight downhill run from the DART station. Very pleasant in the summer. Nice carving through pedestrians, but the odd one made a fuss and did the whole "Oh my god you're going to run me over" dance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Work in Tayto, Ashbourne . Good few people come down from Donegal at various days of the week and stay 2 to 3 nights locally, work a few shifts and head home again. It pays them to do this as work is scarce up there.

One of the lads told me he leaves his house in Donegal at 2am on a Monday morning, drives to work for 7am, does a 12 hr shift, gets his head down in a house share locally at about 9pm. Works 7am to 7pm on Tuesday, 7am to 7pm Wednesday and straight into the car and home by 11pm Wednesday night.

Can't be safe or good for your health to cram your working week into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Longboard from house to DART and longboard to work. ... Nice carving through pedestrians, but the odd one made a fuss and did the whole "Oh my god you're going to run me over" dance.

Rightly so. There's hundreds being killed by Longboards everywhere, they should be taxed, insured, NCTd. I pay my road tax blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

donvito99 wrote: »
    Rightly so. There's hundreds being killed by Longboards everywhere, they should be taxed, insured, NCTd. I pay my road tax blah blah blah

Ha! Yeah. Never hit anyone. Convinced some people were consciously putting themselves in my path to cause a bit of trouble. You know the type.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's a lot more than an hour and fifteen minutes to Dublin from roosky

Says 1 hr 35 when I put it into google maps alright, guess he must have had a heavy foot but too it was a 7am start so he’d be on the road early and not in much traffic I’d assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My husband had bananas commute until recently for a bit over a year.
    We live deep in a rural, quite secluded part of Wicklow (think Tinahely) and he worked in Dublin city center, since work id scarce He also wasn't driving until earlier this year and I was at home with the kids, so we had one car.

The day would be: getting up, wedge the kids into the car, drive to Gorey (25 minutes) to get the bus. Spend almost 2 hours on the bus. Leave, straight to the bus,1.40h back to Gorey where I wait in the car and we'd travel 25 mins home.
    And all that for 30k.

Now he works closer to home, earns significantly more and drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I know a few people from donegal working on sites in dublin, leaving at 3am mon morning, and sleeping in lorry cabs, or houseshares in ratoath for 4 nights, back up the road as early as possible on fri afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Says 1 hr 35 when I put it into google maps alright, guess he must have had a heavy foot but too it was a 7am start so he’d be on the road early and not in much traffic I’d assume.

The N4 is very busy in the morning. Lots of commuters from Longford onwards, not as many from Roscommon (where I live) but some commute daily. Dual carriageway/ Motorway only starts from Mullingar so he couldn't do any type of ferocious speed until then. A friend of mine commuted for a year leaving Boyle at 6:15 to be at work in Dublin for 8:40.

I'd say he'd be lucky to get from Rooskey to the M50 junction in 1hr 35mins and then add on time to get to wherever he works in Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sure many people could commute 60-90 mins getting from one part of Dublin to another.

I used to cycle 15k each way - got mowed down then by someone who was turning right and decided since no cars where coming it was ok to go. Didn't even see me. Got a car a few months later and then a year later just moved closer to work. ~10 mins each way now. Work/life balance much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

For the winter I shall be commuting by plane about 80 minutes each way, work for a few days and go back home again.
    Only wish that I got the air miles and hotel points 😀

• Advertisement

My neighbour used to work for a guy in Connecticut who worked for Oracle databases. He traveled via Concorde to London from New York, back the same evening to New York, Monday Wednesday and Friday. Thats over 20 years ago.

Advertisement