Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann Radar

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Hi All. Just to fill you all in, the radar scan runs every 15 minutes and takes approximately 7-9 minutes to complete. This animation loop is then updated every 15 minutes resulting in the final time frame of the animation running roughly 15 to 30 minutes behind local time. For example, the radar starts a scan at 11:45 which is finished around 11:54. At 12:00 the image for 11:45 is generated by the production system and updated on met.ie 1-2 minutes later. The radar images on the public website are identical to those which our internal forecasters use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi MetEireann
    Are you guys showing any concern for a possible storm on Tue/Wed next week, I know its far out to give it a mention but what do you think if it was to form according to the early charts it could be a big stormy event.

Regards
    Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

pissing rain in West kerry all morning ... radar shows nothing ..... happens all the time ... should take the bloody thing offline imo ....

It cant be that difficult to get a proper animated loop ... its almost 2010 ffs

http://www8.buienradar.nl/ every 5 mins

http://www.idokep.hu/

(unable to understand it but thats how a proper weather site should look like ) + on a proper working site you will get more weather amateurs involved

Ireland is a first world country with a third world weather approach imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

weisses wrote: »
    pissing rain in West kerry all morning ... radar shows nothing ..... happens all the time ... should take the bloody thing offline imo ....

It cant be that difficult to get a proper animated loop ... its almost 2010 ffs

http://www8.buienradar.nl/ every 5 mins

http://www.idokep.hu/

(unable to understand it but thats how a proper weather site should look like ) + on a proper working site you will get more weather amateurs involved

Ireland is a first world country with a third world weather approach imo

I think 15 min updates are quite good for the time tbh and i don't see much wrong with the animation loop? Holland has always been a fair bit ahead of other countries in that department especially with radar and storm research. Sure the UK are still on 30 min update form their Met Office. There's also not much point in having a go at Met Eireann about slow radar update, they get the radar images online as fast as they can. Met Eireann is also state funded so if you're looking for new radar, whether to expand its coverage or increase the output of images, it is there you should look.

The second link came from Hungary !!

A MET office must deliver and use state of the art equipment because people depend on their information ...

Why always compare with the standard below your own (30min loop) ??? ... Think bigger have more of a vision

I think MET is not accurate and up to date with their online services (started a topic about that a while back)

Imagine 15 minute loops in storm chasing ;)

• Advertisement

The second link came from Hungary !!

A MET office must deliver and use state of the art equipment because people depend on their information ...

Why always compare with the standard below your own (30min loop) ??? ... Think bigger have more of a vision

I think MET is not accurate and up to date with their online services (started a topic about that a while back)

Imagine 15 minute loops in storm chasing ;)

Yes i agree with this, the met office is there to provide the public with updates on the weather situation as quickly as they can and to the best of their abilities which is what Met Eireann do imo. I also agree about state of the art equipment too but developing and indeed even maintaining this equipment can be very costly. Met Eireann already has to commericalise some areas of their work just to try to recover some of the costs encurred by this.

Not having a go here, just actually curious:) but was just wondering what other online services you'd like apart from the radar?

Still wrt to the 15 min radar i think it's certainly not bad for the moment and it's not the worst or the best either but i'd say 15 min updates are fairly average.

Just to take a few euro mets at random:

Denmark has 10 min updates: here
    Germany is 15 mins updates: here
    France is also on 15 min updates: here
    Spain is on 30 min updates: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/radar
    Sweeden (I will admint this radar appears a bit smoother than others) appears to be 30 mins too with some apparent random 5 min intervals thrown in as well: here
    Finland appears to only give hourly updates: here

What i like to see from MET is that they run a proper designed website where I as an consumer can click on for instance a region say munster there you have current conditions displayed for different city's an up to date prediction for the next day even 48 hours .. ( now they are not predicting but filling it in as the weather goes) Opened a topic about that ...just found out its gone !!!

never mind ..... found this below on the forecast section Its not in their interest to get to much into detail on their free website i think

WEATHERDIAL from Met Éireann
    for Munster detailed 5 day forecast CALL 1550 123 850
    Calls cost 95c per minute incl. Vat

I know weather amateur sites that are far more accurate, sophisticated, uses different chart models for everyone to see and debate ...lightning detectors rainfall radars or links to them proper 3, 5, 10 day predictions etc etc ....

Getting that MET site running as it should be has nothing to do with lack of money imo

What i like to see from MET is that they run a proper designed website where I as an consumer can click on for instance a region say munster there you have current conditions displayed for different city's an up to date prediction for the next day even 48 hours .. ( now they are not predicting but filling it in as the weather goes) Opened a topic about that ...just found out its gone !!!

never mind ..... found this below on the forecast section Its not in their interest to get to much into detail on their free website i think

WEATHERDIAL from Met Éireann
    for Munster detailed 5 day forecast CALL 1550 123 850
    Calls cost 95c per minute incl. Vat

I know weather amateur sites that are far more accurate, sophisticated, uses different chart models for everyone to see and debate ...lightning detectors rainfall radars or links to them proper 3, 5, 10 day predictions etc etc ....

Getting that MET site running as it should be has nothing to do with lack of money imo

Well i'm sure you send on your feedback to them they'll be happy to hear what people want:)

Not to talk down their services and i've never actually called that number but i don't think you'd actually get anything much more compreshensive with that..may be wrong though.

There are amateur sites which certainly would be more up to date yes than the hourly updates provided on met.ie yes, however i wouldn't say more accurate for the most part. I think hourly updates are a bit slow yes but some of those stations are not automated and the readings are read and conditions assessed hourly.

For the charts, they do provide their own graphic interpretation of the charts for the next 2 days. I think they use the ecm model for these although i'm not sure on that, but a lot of the data is freely available by the people who produce those model outputs. A lot of these charts/data/ect. is shared through all the National Meteorological Services. And for anyone that wants to look more into the charts and graphics past a written forecast, maybe links should be made available to them from their site but imo it's not necessary for them to produce more. It could just lead to more critisism if they used charts going further out as these would have a tendancy to change a lot more with each model run.

Most 5 and 10 day predictions will probably be wrong and even at 3 days a forecast is never certain. Most forecasts found on amateur sites will be automated and prone to big changes with each model run.

Again with lightning, Met Eireann doesn't actually have it's own lightning detection it relies on the detection system from other NMSs and the while the detectors found on amateur sites may be all the public have they are not very acurate at all compared with the systems the NMSs use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A feature I would love to see on the Met Eireann website is a regular rundown of historic weather events in relation to the time of year. For example, this day in 1921 the weather was...... etc.

Just a huge interest of mine really! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

trogdor wrote: »
    Just to take a few euro mets at random:

Denmark has 10 min updates: here
    Germany is 15 mins updates: here
    France is also on 15 min updates: here
    Spain is on 30 min updates: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/radar
    Sweeden (I will admint this radar appears a bit smoother than others) appears to be 30 mins too with some apparent random 5 min intervals thrown in as well: here
    Finland appears to only give hourly updates: here

Iceland , within 5 minutes of the quarter hour on the quarter hour http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/radar/

But only the sw of Iceland is covered. Mind you that is equal to the population of Donegal and Mayo ONLY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Also think about resolution. UKMO gives you a 5km resolution, ME gives a 1km resolution. Write to the minister for the environment and tell him you want increased funding for an improved met service, 2m Euro for a new radar system, and you want the recent 15% loss in staffing to be reversed. Recession be damned.

I advise anyone with comments or requests for met eireann or the website to write directly to customer.liaison@met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Iceland , within 5 minutes of the quarter hour on the quarter hour http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/radar/

But only the sw of Iceland is covered. Mind you that is equal to the population of Donegal and Mayo ONLY.

5 mins in the US too, with live images available at times too.

octo wrote: »
    Also think about resolution. UKMO gives you a 5km resolution, ME gives a 1km resolution. Write to the minister for the environment and tell him you want increased funding for an improved met service, 2m Euro for a new radar system, and you want the recent 15% loss in staffing to be reversed. Recession be damned.

I advise anyone with comments or requests for met eireann or the website to write directly to customer.liaison@met.ie

Ohh please stop ...... now its the recession ?!? the site and forecasting was exactly the same in the boom years ... And isn't a place like this not the ideal environment to discuss these issues ...

When i check European sites and the American (specially in tornado alley) its so much more interactive, up to date and informative on a consumer level .. And there are enough weather related issues here that justifies just that

I wil leave it @ this most people seems to be happy just gave you my opinion :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A feature I would love to see on the Met Eireann website is a regular rundown of historic weather events in relation to the time of year. For example, this day in 1921 the weather was...... etc.

Just a huge interest of mine really! :)

something like this

http://www.meteo-paris.com/almanach/

translate the page to english first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I want a new radar for the west, I'm in Kilkenny but I want to see what is coming and I then calculate roughly how much time I have to get outside work done.
    Today the radar at Shannon looks broken....

Good luck @ kerry airport ... just stick ur head out of the window

http://www.nfc.ie/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=28

Is this a joke ??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There's moderate rain in Cork & Kerry so I guess there's heavier rain on the way.
    Yes, the Shannon radar does seem to go down quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

It would have been interesting to see the radar today. Some of the rain was very heavy today. just stopped a while ago. Its been raining all day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Ohh please stop ...... now its the recession ?!? the site and forecasting was exactly the same in the boom years ... And isn't a place like this not the ideal environment to discuss these issues ...

When i check European sites and the American (specially in tornado alley) its so much more interactive, up to date and informative on a consumer level .. And there are enough weather related issues here that justifies just that

I wil leave it @ this most people seems to be happy just gave you my opinion :D;)
    Dude, I'm not Met Eireann. If you want to do something constructive instead of just moaning on the internet I'd suggest you write to John Gormley. Don't you think they'd love it too in Glasnevin if they could upgrade their existing radars and put in a new one in the northwest?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Unfortunately the rainfall radar is about the only part of Met Eireann that is any good & yet again Shannon is down. For a lot of people the weather forecast is an interest whereas for me it is an essential & an inaccurate forecast can affect my business.

Later today we will get the farming forecast for the week ahead. It will be vague & the rainfall projection will be flashed through in a few seconds. RTE cannot even manage to broadcast it at the same time each week.

I am amazed that Sky (not Irish), yr.no, & the BBC can provide a far more accurate guide to the Irish weather than Met Eireann or RTE. ME need to make the effort to produce more detailed & regional forecasts - I don't mean "showers or occasional rain" which is their permanent get out.

• Advertisement

octo wrote: »
    Dude, I'm not Met Eireann. If you want to do something constructive instead of just moaning on the internet I'd suggest you write to John Gormley. Don't you think they'd love it too in Glasnevin if they could upgrade their existing radars and put in a new one in the northwest?

what is constructive in writing to a corrupt elite who only come out of their holes in election time ....

I just started this discussion here because I think the MET eireann website is not good enough and up to date (specially radar) even aviation websites using inaccurate MET eireann data

again this is a forum where people share and sometimes disagree with each other ... so instead of calling people moaners post something constructive please

It is interesting that Uk Met have a section of their website highlighting future improvements & inviting comments. The interactive Google Earth style map is rather good. Maybe ME could take a look.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/

Just had a beast of a shower here with a lot of hail and very strong winds and another big one coming in from the West with an Anvil head, nothing showing up on Met Eireann radar.

Shannon radar has been down for 6 hours at least today. It is minging here.

Get those radars deployed in Dooncarton and Mt Gabriel and we have redundancy of some sort ...and so do the UK. Particularly so in winter when there are no 'visible' or IR radar shots because it is DARK :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I must apologise to the Icelandic Met .

Apart from having a very nice website overall the radar updates within 3 minutes of the quarter hour ON the quarter hour and not 5 minutes like I said earlier this week. The 14:15 radar scan showed on their website at 14:18 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

redsunset wrote: »
    something like this

http://www.meteo-paris.com/almanach/

translate the page to english first

And maybe something like this...
    http://www.eldersweather.com.au/wa/southwest/dunsborough

Regards

Silverski -

If anyone here works for ME can they indicate when Shannon radar will be back.

How are we supposed to plan anything with no radar , can't even walk the feckin dog in the west without it on a day like this.

We need redundancy on the radar, Mt Gabriel and Dooncarton proposals are required right now.

Lots of heavy showers coming in according to the latest UK Sat image

ukir_sat_200912062200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Showers are quite frequent and heavy in the last couple of hours here. Not showing up well on Met.ie radar at all. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement