Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

touch down?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think the average for Ireland is 10 tornadoes a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's a funnel cloud, we get a lot of these and some sources say we get about 40 touch downs each year.

Tornadoes in Ireland are usually weak and very short lived, but we do have touchdowns with violent and dramatic effects.

From a visual point of view, our tornadoes are usually rain wrapped too ~ ergo, yer can nay see 'em!

Stories that make news after storms are the single tree blown down in line, the single house in an estate with it roof off, the single section of wall knocked over, single bus stops and lamp poles bent ~ all indicative of touch down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks. indeed, I didn't see any tornado per se. I saw some serious concentrated cloud activity followed by these funnel shapes and the debris falling stright down from as far up as I could see.

In fact, it's the second time over the space of a few years that I have witnessed the same phenomenon in the exact same part of sky.

Cheers,

Advertisement