Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Leaks: UEFA Investigation into Manchester City

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nunu wrote: »
    Milan qualified for the Europa League this season but got a 1 season ban over FFP.

Im not sure of the ins and outs of that decision but I’m guessing they agreed to the ban in lieu of a large fine. Easier to come to that decision when it’s Europa league I suppose? Are they the only club to get a European ban over FFP?

Milan agreed so that they’d be eligible for the CL next year and can overspend this year in their efforts to qualify as if they do get there the books will balance. FFP, great stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Nunu wrote: »
    Milan qualified for the Europa League this season but got a 1 season ban over FFP.

Im not sure of the ins and outs of that decision but I’m guessing they agreed to the ban in lieu of a large fine. Easier to come to that decision when it’s Europa league I suppose? Are they the only club to get a European ban over FFP?

Only for Liverpool not being any good & failing to qualify for European football in 2013 they were getting a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gstack166 wrote: »
    Only for Liverpool not being any good & failing to qualify for European football in 2013 they were getting a ban.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

garra wrote: »
    In years to come, the revelations about clubs like City buying the league will probably lead to a revision of the history books, whereby the teams that finished second to them will be rightfully viewed as the authentic league winners of the era.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely that can already be written about teams of the past?

Its nothing new. There is generally a correlation between money spent and chances of winning the league.
    garra wrote: »
    In years past there was no explicit rule in place to forbid the purchase of titles with massive cash injections, the likes of Madrid did not break the rules because there weren't any rules in place.

City breaking those FPP rules and UEFA ignoring the malpractice is a game changer in terms of how their success will be viewed in future, when football reclaim it's moral compass.

From January 2019. I didn't think UEFA would actually penalize them, truly delighted with this development. Oh the delicious smugness of writing off City's titles is making Valentine's Day surprisingly lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Looks like we can finally close this thread. I know a lot of you will be upset.

Looks like the thread lives on :) . Plenty of mileage yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Looks like the thread lives on :) . Plenty of mileage yet.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So all the titles that Bayern won in Germany, all Madrid titles and a good portion of Barcelona's, PSG's and Lyon before them, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, some of Manchester United"s will all be written off going by what's being said here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

eagle eye wrote: »
    So all the titles that Bayern won in Germany, all Madrid titles and a good portion of Barcelona's, PSG's and Lyon before them, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, some of Manchester United"s will all be written off going by what's being said here.

In years past there was no explicit rule in place to forbid the purchase of titles with massive cash injections, the likes of Madrid did not break the rules because there weren't any rules in place.

garra wrote:
    So basically it was ok when the big clubs did it but they put rules in place then to prevent other clubs with wealthy owners trying to become as big as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Poor City are being victimised by the rules that also apply to everyone else and that they signed up to.

• Advertisement

Yep, City can't complain. They knew the rules. Have they broken any PL rules I wonder ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

David Conn, as always, excellent on this. Thread https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1228626421628784640?s=21

This tweet in particular is striking

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1228626453497032705?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EQzpIGLWsAULj38?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Can you explain why Bayern Munichs, Barcelonas and Manchester Uniteds titles should be written off?

I think people are confused as to what's going on here. Some clubs have generated plenty of money over the years fairly and have spent it wisely.

What city have done is nothing like this. They've cheated, got caught and then cheated again. I don't think any of the club's you've mentioned above have done anything like that.

It's most definitely not a case of city are only spending big like loads of other clubs did in the past.

City have cheated. That's conclusive. Cheated their way to success which is now tainted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Happy days!

ozzy jr wrote:
    Can you explain why Bayern Munichs, Barcelonas and Manchester Uniteds titles should be written off?
    They forced clubs to sell players to them over the years.
    They got bigger before other clubs do and were obviously then in a position where they generated more money.
    Imo these rules are an attempt to prevent other clubs becoming super clubs. I think these rules have to be breaking business competition law. How are you allowed prevent a business from spending money in order to grow?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They got bigger before other clubs do and were obviously then in a position where they generated more money.
    Imo these rules are an attempt to prevent other clubs becoming super clubs. I think these rules have to be breaking business competition law. How are you allowed prevent a business from spending money in order to grow?

The business can do as they please, but the champions league is a private competion with its own rules.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

And Blackburn's. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I don't have much interest in Spanish or German football, but can you tell me what players did Manchester United force other clubs to sell?

And? They did this fairly though, wouldn't you agree?
    Imo these rules are an attempt to prevent other clubs becoming super clubs.

Chucking a load of cash at Manchester city, or Espanyol or Red Bull Salzburg isn't going to make them a "super club". There's a lot more to being a super club than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whether those rules should be in place is a different debate. The fact is, whether we like it or not, those rules are in place, and City broke them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

eigrod wrote: »
    David Conn, as always, excellent on this. Thread https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1228626421628784640?s=21

This tweet in particular is striking

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1228626453497032705?s=21

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1230549036102381568?s=21

Shouldn’t a journalist be checking these things first besides printing them off as fact?

‘Looked it up the other day’ days after printing lies in his article. Zero integrity he’s proven.

‘Looked it up the other day’ days after printing lies in his article. Zero integrity he’s proven.

Still though, more integrity than killing kids in Yemen.

It really really doesn't behove Man City fans attacking the characters of journos to defend their club owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Ah guess gstack deleted his losing the plot post from last night saying he was done with Boards and calling everyone names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Whether those rules should be in place is a different debate. The fact is, whether we like it or not, those rules are in place, and City broke them.
    It's not just the breaking of spending rules, they were found to have fraudulently cooked the books deliberately.
    This isn't Blackburn, Leeds, Milan....... it bares no relation to those events.

City have cheated. That's why they have been banned. If they can prove otherwise fair enough.

Was it their own submissions that caught them out? or the leaks? Or a combination?

6 wrote:
    City have cheated. That's why they have been banned. If they can prove otherwise fair enough.
    Can you honestly tell me that every top is clean? I'd guess they are all cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

At no point in any of this, have I seen or heard City or any of their supporters offer any defence of their actions. It's all 'whataboutery' - what about PSG, what about AC Milan, What about UEFA, what about the leaks etc.... At no point is there any credible denial of the bones of the UEFA case re: fake sponsorship, telling porky pies to UEFA on the earlier investigation, and the substance of the leaks in Der Spiegel and other sources, eg the dodgy second job of Mancini in Abu Dhabi for big bucks for doing SFA.

Quite telling IMHO.

Can you honestly tell me that every top is clean? I'd guess they are all cheating.

Aren't clubs assessed regularly under FFP rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is anyone else as utterly against opening their books as City are? Not that I’m aware of... half the clubs are publicly traded at this stage too, which means they can have absolutely no secrets. We hear fairly regularly about other clubs being put through the ringer - Liverpool faced a fine for instance, until the investigation revealed the spending was for the training facilities, for which an overage is allowed under the rules. They haven’t just ignored everyone else and only targeted City, like.

Again though, it’s sort of neither here nor there. Whether we like those rules or not, they’ve been found to have cheated the rules they had agreed to, and more than that, to have lied about it. So deserve whatever they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

At no point in any of this, have I seen or heard City or any of their supporters offer any defence of their actions. It's all 'whataboutery' - what about PSG, what about AC Milan, What about UEFA, what about the leaks etc.... At no point is there any credible denial of the bones of the UEFA case re: fake sponsorship, telling porky pies to UEFA on the earlier investigation, and the substance of the leaks in Der Spiegel and other sources, eg the dodgy second job of Mancini in Abu Dhabi for big bucks for doing SFA.

Quite telling IMHO.

There was a full denial by the chief executive done on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

POKERKING wrote: »
    There was a full denial by the chief executive done on Wednesday.

"We didn't do it" is hardly conclusive evidence. The denial was given to their own in house media channel, the poor reporter looked terrified.

Advertisement