Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogging

Options
  • 12-09-2002 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Found this on my travels (I'm sure others here knew about it ages ago :p )

http://www.blogger.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's the next big thing surely :D

See also www.livejournal.com, www.deadjournal.com, www.ujournal.org - although moreso than blogs these appear to be full of 14 year olds who hate their parents etc etc (except me of course - and a few other sane people :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Does anybody hate these internet crazes as much as me?99% are a load of crap-like that game where you have to beat 1 in a few billion odds and do a search on google which produces one result.Ive done it plenty of times,its easy.When i heard of the game i decided to give it a try-I got one in my second attempt.
    Just my rant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

It's actually kinda cool

www.tullyallen.com uses it :P
    /me plugs local parish bulletin which hasnt been touched in months.

<< Fio >>

Dunno if I'd call Blogging a craze as such...weblogs have been around since the early days - saw my first back in 98...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Gopher, why dont you go along to those nice people at Fark and Somethingawful that they are just a dumb fad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Not a craze at all really. Its been done in some form since day one its just the technology is getting so much better now and when its tied in with xml / rss feeds its bloody cool. Get yourself a news aggregator and brin in some real news.

I blog myself and its handy for seeing where my head was at a few months ago when I look in the archives. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The problem with blogs is that they are like arseholes.
    Everyone has one and noones particularly interested in anyone elses...

Blogs work when someone has something to say for themselves AND is capable of writing something approximating decent prose.

I'm thinking about setting up a similar system (actually we are fairly far along on it) but it wouldnt be open to the public it would be more a writers workshop where people who can write can get their words out there in a high signal-to-noise ratio site. I'm not talking about fan fiction either, more Op/Ed stuff.

If you really think you can write and will write once a week then contact me, it will cover most of the major forum areas on boards...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Blogs work when someone has something to say for themselves AND is capable of writing something approximating decent prose.

Depends what you mean by "work".

In general I agree. Sometimes I do stop by someone's blog and read it through, because it's fascinating, well-written, insightful and thoughtful. This is, however, very rare, but let's call it "Purpose One" of blogging.

However, I do read several other blogs - mainly those written by friends of mine who I don't see IRL very often. It's a good way of keeping tabs of what they're up to and it keeps conversations fresh and interesting to have that insight into what's happening in their life. Lets call this "Purpose Two" of blogging.

I also maintain my own blog, albeit not very regularly. Some people know where it is, most don't. I'm quite open on it about stuff I wouldn't generally discuss, and as far as I'm concerned, it achieves what I want it to do even if nobody reads it - it gives me an outlet for things I write and an incentive to write. I've always found writing very therapeutic, and good for clearing my head about issues which were troubling me - a blog is a great way of organising that kind of process. There's Purpose Three... and even if that were incomprehensible to the rest of the world, as far as I'm concerned, it "works".

Originally posted by DeVore
    The problem with blogs is that they are like arseholes.
    Everyone has one and noones particularly interested in anyone elses...

Speak for yourself DeV :D <peeks around back> :D:D

Like Shinji, I use my friends blogs to keep up with what is going on in their lives, especially those I don't get to see in real life.

As for my own, the only people who read it are my friends. It's solely used for having somewhere to say stuff, not to be an attention whore [though I once used that particular Gathering card as an image when I was feeling particularily attention whorish ;)]. Not all blogs have to be medatative reflections on life, love and the universe. Mine is just stuff that happens in my life, or how others feel that friends, and the occasional random stranger, then read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

everyone's into the homeless guy's blog. its blogs like these that keep the internet going. sometimes, reading good blogs like pushby queue and random walks is the only way of catching stories that are not covered by the major media sources.

personal blogs are only interesting if it's a seventeen year old swedish girl. i dont know who would want to read shinji's blog. :rolleyes:

adnans

shinji, pm the url please

• Advertisement
Advertisement