Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are our options?

Options
  • 23-01-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

OH got a guy out to service her 14yo oil burner, he has said that it needs to be replaced, Oil Tank doesn't meet regs, Flue corroded, No DP isolation switch, PRV not piped to outside casing. (Dunno what most of those mean)
    He reckons 2.5/3K to sort all - he doesn't do this work so no vested interest condemning it.

If we accept that all that work needs doing would she be better looking at changing away from oil completely?

In Donegal so no piped gas, 2000sq ft house, roofs facing East & West.

I'd appreciate hearing ppls thoughts on what options would be best, along with a guesstimate on pricing for each.

Cheers

Wearb, appreciate if you would close other thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

If there is no piped gas then oil is the next best/cheapest fuel iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭enricoh

Strange that he doesn't do that work- is he a plumber? Is it working away ok now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

enricoh wrote: »
    Strange that he doesn't do that work- is he a plumber? Is it working away ok now?

Why is it strange?
    I service, maintain and repair both gas and oil boilers, but I stopped installing both a couple of years ago.
    When I do have to explain to someone why they need to replace their boiler they tend to take on board what I am telling them and because I have no interest in the installation of the new boiler they see I am not trying to get more work out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Yeah, still working, he says she should get it replaced in the summer.

Our thinking is if she has to spend 3K to replace what is there, would it be better taking advantage of grants to put in solar or some heat exchange system?

Solar may be an issue as the house faces east & west, and fear it won't generate enough during the winter.

We know nothing about heat exchange systems - cost of install or running, hence the thread :D

Advertisement