Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from HAP

Options
  • 29-09-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm presently meeting tenants for a property I'm letting.
    There are a number of HAP applicants and one seems OK.
    If I lease to them, what can I expect from HAP?

They say they have been approved and have the deposit and 2 months upfront, but I believe the council are providing this, and I'm wondering how quickly they will provide this?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't let someone move in before I received the deposit and first months rent, but I suspect there'll be form filling etc with the council which will delay things. I'm also reading about the inspections etc that they carry out. And I'm struggling to see if it's worth the hassle frankly.

Can anyone (landlords) share their experience please? What am I getting into? And what can I expect?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Zulu wrote: »
    I'm presently meeting tenants for a property I'm letting.
    There are a number of HAP applicants and one seems OK.
    If I lease to them, what can I expect from HAP?

They say they have been approved and have the deposit and 2 months upfront, but I believe the council are providing this, and I'm wondering how quickly they will provide this?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't let someone move in before I received the deposit and first months rent, but I suspect there'll be form filling etc with the council which will delay things. I'm also reading about the inspections etc that they carry out. And I'm struggling to see if it's worth the hassle frankly.

Can anyone (landlords) share their experience please? What am I getting into? And what can I expect?
    Thanks.
    When through this process recently and its is very time consuming. For example the RTB confirmation email confirming registration of the lease is not sufficient to prove ownership. They require a copy of RTB letter sent 2-3 weeks after registration.

I also deleted a number of their standard terms and conditions which I found unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So the tenants are in the house that long before payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

In my case, it was the head tenant sub-letting a room in the apartment - As far as I am concerned rent is paid monthly in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zulu wrote: »
    So the tenants are in the house that long before payment?

No. HAP are trying to do contracts in arrears but all residential lettings are paid in advance. You don't let the new tenants in till you have their deposit and rent paid.

Advertisement