Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wine bars in cork?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Good review from Tom Doorley (whatever you might think of him :) )
    I would urge the people of Cork to take L'Atitude to their hearts.

And I am doing so for an utterly selfish reason.

I want it to thrive so it's still there when I want it. And I could
    imagine myself wanting it rather a lot. The bill was a few euro shy of
    70 euros and we both ate and drank very, very well. Which is what this
    place is about.

You can read the whole thing here but you need to set up a fake account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Worth a bump, good quality new wine bar opened up this month. Arthur Mayne on Pembroke Street, formerly a chemist, now an old style bar with new-fangled wine dispenser stuff, which I have yet to try out, - I went old school, by the bottle. I didn't eat there but food looked good.

Online blog review from someone here. It's going to give the Boqueria and L’Atitude 51 a serious run for their money as it was very busy the night I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

They. Only. Serve. Wine.

…and bottled beers, coffee, tea. I think that makes it a wine bar. In the same sense as L’Atitude 51 where they also, only serve beers, coffee, tea. Okay?

As for Arthur Mayne's, I suspect the owner is not highly qualified - not that it matters one jot - he is not working there…

• Advertisement

The emphasis is as outlined his interview in the Irish Examiner: "the main business will be bar sales, coffees, food to go with wine (Benny McCabe dislikes the word tapas) and there’s a state-of-the-art wine Italian Enomatic dispenser (the second such in Ireland, and seen in Gordon’s 1890 wine bar in London) for special bottles, operated by a credit card mechanism, that will give tastes, small or large glasses, of selected wines, all of them kept absolutely fresh by the use of nitrogen gas — all very medicinal, surely."

Couldn't be clearer - it's a wine bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

evilivor wrote: »
    Worth a bump, good quality new wine bar opened up this month. Arthur Mayne on Pembroke Street, formerly a chemist, now an old style bar with new-fangled wine dispenser stuff, which I have yet to try out, - I went old school, by the bottle. I didn't eat there but food looked good.

Online blog review from someone here. It's going to give the Boqueria and L’Atitude 51 a serious run for their money as it was very busy the night I was there.

All makes sense now a friend of mine tagged himself in arthur maynes pharmacy and wine bar. I thought it was a complete P take.. as in he was looking for a cure :p
    Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

Went to one of L'attitudes speaker nights a few weeks back, interesting way to spend a evening, tasted half a dozen wines, tapas with each one for 15 quid, could have upgraded to a 3 course meal for 15 more.

Like the small measure for 2.50, lets you work through the vast menu is a resonable amount of time and not a big hit if you don't like something.

Went to Meades a lot back in the day, nice spot but room temperature was waaaaay too cold for the reds.

Stuck the head into Mayne's when walking for the bus last week, not a beer bar vibe so I'd come down it being a actual wine bar. Good looking place but maybe too put together? Anyhoo, it's number 1 on the list for the next visit into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Anyone know of a good wine bar in cork city?

There's a new one where the Lobby used to be, across from City Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

32 marlboro street is a great spot. Its kind of half way in between a wine bar and a normal bar. Really chic and kind burlesque interior. Some great wines and beers though.

Had a bottle of Niki Tika the a couple of weekends ago.

Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Popped into Arthur Maynes last night and I really liked it. Love the idea of the wine dispenser & that you can try a few different wines, the whole place is something a bit fresh and different anyway for Cork. Will be back at the weekend I reckon and will try some food next time!

In AM's last night, choc full and maybe suffering from being 'the' spot of the minute for the Sunday indo wannabe's, really didn't like the atmosphere at all.

But it's good to see a place a success I suppose, had popped into marlborough 32, 30th on so didn't stay but looked a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

In AM's last night, choc full and maybe suffering from being 'the' spot of the minute for the Sunday indo wannabe's, really didn't like the atmosphere at all.

I went in on Friday night around 11.30, the place was packed. We're primarily beer drinkers (Franciscan/Bierhaus/Abbot's type beer) but we had previously had a good night in L'Attitude so we said we'd give it a try. Walked in and walked straight out again, seems far too much like a hotspot of the month. I hope it continues for the owners, it's just my idea of having a good glass of wine isn't standing about and getting jostled. L'Attitude is far more chilled and I like studying the board for the next glass you're going to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Buceph wrote: »
    I went in on Friday night around 11.30, the place was packed. We're primarily beer drinkers (Franciscan/Bierhaus/Abbot's type beer) but we had previously had a good night in L'Attitude so we said we'd give it a try. Walked in and walked straight out again, seems far too much like a hotspot of the month. I hope it continues for the owners, it's just my idea of having a good glass of wine isn't standing about and getting jostled. L'Attitude is far more chilled and I like studying the board for the next glass you're going to have.

+1

exactly the type I look for, must give this place a try, didnt like an cruibin too much so was apprhensive about going there, will try now though

L'attitude has a speaker/tasting night tomorrow, French wine type which I've no hope of being able to spell. They normally have a tapas to go with each glass. There's a New Zealand one later in the month, will be catching that one I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

L'attitude has a speaker/tasting night tomorrow, French wine type which I've no hope of being able to spell. They normally have a tapas to go with each glass. There's a New Zealand one later in the month, will be catching that one I hope.

That French wine type would be Beaujolais ;)
    BEAUJOLAIS TASTING (Thursday 10th May 7.00-8.30pm)
    The first one, in association with Karwigs Wines, takes place on Wednesday May 10th from 7pm with Loic Teymond of Chateau de Chatelard, a Beaujolais producer, making wines in the Fleurie, Moulin a Vent and Brouilly appellations. Loic will guide you through a tasting of 4 of his wines and introduce you to this interesting winemaking region in France.

Beaulolais produces predominantly red wines from the Gamay grape using an unusual technique known as carbonic maceration. Nestled between Burgundy and the Rhone Valley, it often gets overshadowed by its more well-known neighbours; however, Beaujolais also produces some very good quality wines which are well worth investigating. No better opportunity now that we're coming into the summer (or what we hope will be a summer). Vines have been cultivated on the Chateau de Chatelard domain since it was created in the time of Charlemagne in the eighth century. This chateau is fanatical about quality, both in the farming and in the winemaking.

FRANKLAND RIVER TASTING (Wednesday May 23rd 6.30- 8.30pm)
    The second one, in association with Wines Direct, takes place on Thursday May 23rd with Sandy and Rod Hallett of Alkoomi Wines based in the Frankland River region of Western Australia. Sandy and Rod will give a presentation on the Frankland River area and will guide you through a tasting of 6 of their wines.

Located in Western Australia’s Great Southern approximately 360 kilometres south-east of Perth, Frankland River is one of Australia’s fastest growing wine regions. Although viticulture began in the Frankland River region in 1969, it has only more recently become known as a significant producer of premium quality Western Australian wines. This is one of the coolest wine producing regions in Western Australia.

Cheeses, charcuterie and light snacks will be served to match each wine. The cost for the Beaujolais tasting is €10 per person and for the Alkoomi it's €15.00 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I liked AM's and was quite pleased with the quality of wines there myself. I would call it a wine bar for sure. At least 70 per cent were drinking wine and it's pretty obvious that every business has to be versatile as not everybody drinks wine or indeed alcohol. .......... 32 Malborough street is quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tong po

Was in AM'S for a bite and a bottle . Who ever trained the staff should be applauded . Their product knowlage was spot on , and I would be critical with over 30 years experience in the hotel trade .

Meades is closing down again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Ahh no, went a couple of weeks ago and really liked it ... Any idea whats happened, it was jammers that night

bleary wrote: »
    Ahh no, went a couple of weeks ago and really liked it ... Any idea whats happened, it was jammers that night

Seems to be a licensing issue. Sad, it was a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Seems to be a licensing issue. Sad, it was a great spot.
    Sounds dodgy,booze license should be the first thing ticked off the list.
    Twas a nice wine bar,shame it had to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Gutted that Meades has closed, but in fairness, as Gamb!t says, the license should be the first thing a place like that should sort!! Shocking that it wasn't right. What a shame though

Advertisement