Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

If you could pick one Nintendo game ...

• 14-02-2021 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Ok, that's it, if you could pick one Nintendo game, what would it be?

I'm picking BOTW since I got so much out of it. Have no complaints with that game. A 60 FPS version would be lovely and maybe a longer draw distance. But it's just perfect. The best version of Hyrule. Art style just perfect. Played it one WiiU and played it straight away again on Switch and it was brilliant all over again.

Super Mario Galaxy, Odyssey and Ocarina of time also brilliant, but I don't think I can play them right through again and enjoy them as much. Actually, I just give up. Maybe BOTW succeeds in that there is so much content and play style to discover and it's so subtle at times. It is really the definitive adventure game.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario World

It's as close to platforming perfection as it is possible to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening on the Game Boy Color.

My love for gaming had already started but it was truly fostered by that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

BOTW is my favourite game of all time. I'm relatively new when it comes to Nintendo, the Switch is my first one. But that game is amazing. I suspect a lot of people would probably choose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm contractually obligated to say Earthbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,422 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A link to the past. Must have played through it 15 times over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had a GameBoy growing up, and Link's Awakening is the game I remember most, in terms of the indelible mark it left. The games on the device up to that point were all very ... I dunno, disposable and trivial. Tetris and the like; nothing wrong with that but there was little sense of scale or adventure. Link's Awakening was positively transformative for me in terms of what a game could deliver: a grand adventure across an island (an entire island!) with all sorts of magical locations and characters. I didn't want the journey to end, which only made its bittersweet ending hit all the harder at the time.

Then there's the Ugly Duckling of the Mario platforming franchise, on the same machine: Super Mario Land. Even Mario 2 on the NES is remembered fondly. Or remembered at all really: Mario Land is simply forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had a GameBoy growing up, and Link's Awakening is the game I remember most, in terms of the indelible mark it left. The games on the device up to that point were all very ... I dunno, disposable and trivial. Tetris and the like; nothing wrong with that but there was little sense of scale or adventure. Link's Awakening was positively transformative for me in terms of what a game could deliver: a grand adventure across an island (an entire island!) with all sorts of magical locations and characters. I didn't want the journey to end, which only made its bittersweet ending hit all the harder at the time.

Then there's the Ugly Duckling of the Mario platforming franchise, on the same machine: Super Mario Land. Even Mario 2 on the NES is remembered fondly. Or remembered at all really: Mario Land is simply forgotten.

Super Mario Land was a strange one - definitely a first version, on a new platform, and developers didn't know what they were doing. The difference in graphics, music, and scale between Mario Land 1 and 2 is so staggering as to be really two completely different genres, let alone games.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Nostalgia would be the main driver for me so I'd go for Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Run & jump - what more do you need anyway :)

do do do do do do do *ring*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭eggy81

Super punch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭recyclops

Cant look past super mario world, though for arguments sake the biggest impact for 3d for me was ocarina of time, BOTW came after the witcher so was less impactful imo, still have to play it on switch but cant see that changing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It use to be a link to the past but now its BOTW, the greatest game ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The SNES version of Shadowrun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ocarina of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Blades of Steel was the definitive sports game when released in the 80s. Took sports games to a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,286 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ocarina of time.

However great Blast Corps, Mario64 or Bomberman are, there's one game that never disappoints and its definitely Ocarina.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Breath of the wild 2... And since nobody else has chosen it I'm guessing you all will be very jealous

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not developed by Nintendo but was published by them so I'm claiming it, but I don't think any game has taken me in as much as Pokemon Red / Yellow did back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Mario kart or golden eye. Out of them, I’d say mario kart.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Breath of the Wild.

Simple choice really. I've never put as many hours into a single game. It's just incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Honorable mentions:
    Super Metroid
    Link to the Past
    Thousand Year Door
    Echoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

A link to the past or Super Mario World. Both are as close to video game perfection as you'll get. And both released within a very short time of each other

Advertisement