Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭posidonia

Natural is all it is. The few on here spouting propaganda have been brainwashed too, that's ok, it happens. Been used as a war tactic for awhile now.

It's all about the money money money.

The Global Warming, Climate Change, Climate Crisis, or what ever these good people of planet earth choose to call it, are wasting their time. Chill, take a holiday, the planet has always looked after itself.
    It's survived thousands of years of bellowing volcanic activity and a time to flourish when even more CO2 was in the atmosphere.
    People spending time on this is so wasteful as human life is so short, enjoy it. Your time is at a premium. You will be long gone and will not or ever see any results from the so called doomsday scenarios.
    This is my only comment on this.
    Have a lovely day ��

I bet it wont be your last word, or seabreezes's (and no thanks from you for my PM, seabreezes?)...

How the heck do you know you're right? You sound so casually, complacently, certain - could it be you who's unthinking? Only seeing what you want to? Think about it...

There are plenty of people who's working lives (after long years of academic excellence and study) have been devoted to studying this planet's atmosphere - yet you know better. How come?

Btw, I've lived long enough to see changes to the world about me. I guess you simply can't (wont) see them, or you're a child, or you live in one of the few places largely untouched by them.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    You know the same thing was running through my head.
    There's no arguing with a religion.
    And I've spent too much time here. Have a great day and thanks for the thread MT!! I'm signing out too.

BFN, you'll be back. Someone has got to defend N&Z :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. There is a lid on our atmosphere. CO2 can't escape the earths atmosphere, it's too heavy. If it could you wouldn't be able to breath right now as the even lighter molecule, Oxygen would be pissed out into space. Now if it was a lighter gas like Helium that would be true but the fact you are still living and breathing shows how wrong this is.

CO2 can escape from earths atmosphere :eek:
    You have some very questionable responses in here Retrogamer.

posidonia wrote: »
    Btw, I've lived long enough to see changes to the world about me. I guess you simply can't (wont) see them, or you're a child, or you live in one of the few places largely untouched by them.

Any data on these places and their changes?
    Curious on what first hand knowledge you have and how you assess the changes there in.

It's more likely the impact is direct human changes (farming, deforestation, construction)

Nabber wrote: »
    Any data on these places and their changes?
    Curious on what first hand knowledge you have and how you assess the changes there in.

It's more likely the impact is direct human changes (farming, deforestation, construction)

Is this rope again? Seriously, if you're pi**ing about again get lost if not I'll answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CO2 can escape from earths atmosphere :eek:
    You have some very questionable responses in here Retrogamer.

There's always a statistically small amount that can escape into space but for all intents and purposes it's so small you can equate it to near zero. It's even smaller than the amount of oxygen that escapes into space as it's a heavier molecule.

Again for carbon dioxide, the earth's atmosphere is effectively a closed lid. To say otherwise is just out and out wrong.

There's always a statistically small amount that can escape into space but for all intents and purposes it's so small you can equate it to near zero. It's even smaller than the amount of oxygen that escapes into space as it's a heavier molecule.

Again for carbon dioxide, the earth's atmosphere is effectively a closed lid. To say otherwise is just out and out wrong.

Agreed that the quantities are minute.

The issue is where to draw the line on statistics. CO2 constitutes .04% of the atmosphere, human emissions accounts for a rise of ~.018%(?)
    Statistically speaking, in many other fields this change wouldn't constitute much of anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Agreed that the quantities are minute.

The issue is where to draw the line on statistics. CO2 constitutes .04% of the atmosphere, human emissions accounts for a rise of ~.018%(?)
    Statistically speaking, in many other fields this change wouldn't constitute much of anything.

CO2 in the atmosphere is about .04%
    Not sure about the .018 % rise, this would be a 45% increase in atmospheric CO2. I've heard it's more along the lines of a 32% increase in CO2 from man made emission.

32% increase is in no way statistically insignificant. It's a massive increase and statistically significant. And as only a small amount of CO2 is needed to increase greenhouse effects (which increase exponentially with increases in CO2 concentration) it's also statistically significant to the greenhouse effect.

There's a natural level of CO2 in the atmosphere which is balanced by adsorption and desorption effects and when you start pumping CO2 into it you skew it to adsorption events and put that balance off.

Then there's the run away effects where you get melting of the perma frost which has greenhouse gases absorbed in it and heating of the oceans which release greenhouse gases in it. Once these become more significant is when you get the runaway greenhouse effect where our means of removing CO2 from the atmosphere is outpaced by carbon dioxide being released by permafrost melt and being released by the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Retr0gamer, could you please show a few of the glaring mathematical mistakes in Nikolov's paper please? In detail.

Retr0gamer, could you please show a few of the glaring mathematical mistakes in Nikolov's paper please? In detail.

'A few' - how many are there? Are you a mathematician then?

Can you please explain if you think water vapour is a significant greenhouse gas or not? Indeed, do you think there are any significant greenhouse gasses?

Clearly N&Z don't think there are any significant ghgs?

Additionally, I see Willis Eschenbach, Anthony Watts and Dr Roy Spencer think N&Z is duff - are they brainwashed too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Can you please explain if you think water vapour is a significant greenhouse gas or not? Indeed, do you think there are any significant greenhouse gasses?

Additionally, I see Willis Eschenbach, Anthony Watts and Dr Roy Spencer think N&Z is duff - are they brainwashed too?

Perhaps you could contradict the data in the graph he posted yesterday which showed that weather events are not 'getting worse'?

New Moon

First most glaring issue: No error bars.

Well there is one graph with error bars with a note to see table 2 for error values because some are so small as not to be seen. When you check the table you can see the error bars that are present are wrong.

If you send graphs to a real scientific paper with no error bars it won't get published until they are put in. Without error bars it's hard to tell if data is significant or phoney

Second: Dimensional analysis to measure GMAT. They pick 7 dimensions for this with no explanation. These values seem to be cherry picked and could lead to bias in results. Also dimensional analysis was never meant to be used for these calculations.

RATE values used to calculate temperatures with out atmospheric contributions. It's never been used before and for good reason, it shouldn't be used to compare with measured temperatures as it will give biased results.

Also calculating temperatures on atmospheric planets by assuming they have no atmosphere... something wrong there as they do have an atmosphere.

Then they leave Titan out of their regression because it's totally out of line with their model. Lets ignore it, it doesn't fit our preconceived story isn't maths or science.

There's so much more there but reading it and going over it annoys me and I doubt most people would understand it anyway if you don't have a science background.

Well Retr0gamer says "it's ALL wrong", so he should be able to take his pick of mistakes to illustrate his point. My qualification is none of your business, but if you need to know, it's physics and chemistry, so yes, maths-heavy.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    No actually, his maths and science are all wrong and anyone with basic levels of knowledge in it can see it to be true. It's totally flawed and maybe the reason that he has been debunked by so many is because it's all wrong. I can tell you myself as a someone with science knowledge that there is so much wrong in his maths and theory that it's utter nonsense

All molecules with 3 or more atoms are greenhouse molecules, so yes, that includes CO2. The contribution of its atmospheric concentration to the overall warming of the atmosphere is the question that is in no way sure, as freely admitted by the IPCC themselves. Observational evidence (such as it is) would suggest that the sensitivity is on the lower end of the scale, closer to the 1.5-degree figure or even lower.

First most glaring issue: No error bars.

Well there is one graph with error bars with a note to see table 2 for error values because some are so small as not to be seen. When you check the table you can see the error bars that are present are wrong.

If you send graphs to a real scientific paper with no error bars it won't get published until they are put in. Without error bars it's hard to tell if data is significant or phoney

Second: Dimensional analysis to measure GMAT. They pick 7 dimensions for this with no explanation. These values seem to be cherry picked and could lead to bias in results. Also dimensional analysis was never meant to be used for these calculations.

RATE values used to calculate temperatures with out atmospheric contributions. It's never been used before and for good reason, it shouldn't be used to compare with measured temperatures as it will give biased results.

Also calculating temperatures on atmospheric planets by assuming they have no atmosphere... something wrong there as they do have an atmosphere.

Then they leave Titan out of their regression because it's totally out of line with their model. Lets ignore it, it doesn't fit our preconceived story isn't maths or science.

There's so much more there but reading it and going over it annoys me and I doubt most people would understand it anyway if you don't have a science background.

No no, I said the maths in detail.What you've given is just a cursory glance, looking for something quick to bat away the question. Waffle, in other words.

No no, I said the maths in detail.What you've given is just a cursory glance, looking for something quick to bat away the question. Waffle, in other words.

I just told you why the maths is wrong. It's not a schoolboy 2+2 = 5 error. Their use of comparisons with incompatible data is the biggest issue I have amongst many. It's like comparing metres with degrees Celsius, except in this case the used the wrong formulas to calculate both.

The exclusion of error bars is the biggest red flag because I know of no scientific publication that would accept any data without them.

Anyway I gave some of my observations. I can't be responsible if you can't understand them but also you can't rubbish them either if they are beyond your level of comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

I have seen all this before historically and it is remarkable how disruptive notions survive regardless of what is brought before these academics hence a disruptive subculture as the root cause of this dour period in human history.

Large scale empirical disasters are infrequent but devastating whereas the smaller ones come and go. When mathematicians try to play astronomers it becomes an assault on the eyes and especially as the motions of the planet govern many Earth sciences by their dynamical traits so while many here process graph warfare of mathematical modelers on both sides, planetary motions are altogether ignored as there has been no real astronomical presence in Earth sciences for centuries.

Only one person in the entire history of humanity asserted the moon also spins as it makes a monthly circuit of the Earth yet because it was Newton, people tied themselves in knots arguing over the silly assertion yet when the dust settled, people still believe the moon spins or the spinning mooners -

https://books.google.ie/books?id=HgcFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA136#v=onepage&q&f=false

The same happened in this era and this thread, the proponents and opponents are looking for advantage without the slightest sense that the conclusion is the impossible notion of human control over planetary temperatures.

It doesn't matter that humans landed on the moon and an astronaut, if he so chooses, can hop into his vehicle and drive around to the far side of the moon which we cannot see. This is what theorists do, the hapless observer is so mesmerized by counter-productive notions that they are unable to find their way back to a reasonable foundation for discussion whether it is 'climate change' or the weird notion of a spinning moon.

All molecules with 3 or more atoms are greenhouse molecules, so yes, that includes CO2. The contribution of its atmospheric concentration to the overall warming of the atmosphere is the question that is in no way sure, as freely admitted by the IPCC themselves. Observational evidence (such as it is) would suggest that the sensitivity is on the lower end of the scale, closer to the 1.5-degree figure or even lower.

But N&Z say there is no greenhouse effect...they certainly don't think there will be 1.5C warming for CO2 doubling - which is what you seem to be saying.

So you both do and don't agree with N&Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭aidanodr

aidanodr wrote: »

Could be a boon for 'scientists'.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-05/scientists-call-for-population-control-in-mass-climate-alarm

"The scientists make specific calls for policymakers to quickly implement systemic change to energy, food, and economic policies. But they go one step further, into the politically fraught territory of population control. It “must be stabilized—and, ideally, gradually reduced—within a framework that ensures social integrity,” they write."

The revolution can't come soon enough.

New Moon

It's just the usual babbling drivel from the express and bloomberg, two right wing publications with dubious claims to journalism. Last I heard from actual scientists is that over population is no where near a problem if waste can be controlled.

• Advertisement

It's just the usual babbling drivel from the express and bloomberg, two right wing publications with dubious claims to journalism. Last I heard from actual scientists is that over population is no where near a problem if waste can be controlled.

Are you saying that they did not say this? And what has 'right-wing' got to do with it, unless you letting your own political bias muddle your thought process a little?

https://www.populationconnection.org/climate-emergency-bioscience/

I'm surprised they didn't go as far as to call for 'extermination'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

aidanodr wrote: »

First of all, this has absolutely nothing to do with climate change
    Secondly, this is an Express article
    Thirdly, the guy they're talking about is Chandra Wickramasinghe who is undoubtedly a smart guy but he is way out on the fringe when he claims without any evidence at all that pandemics are viruses from space

But then, I suppose one lone scientist shouting from the wilderness with a theory that has practically zero supporting evidence and is contradicted by the vast preponderance of evidence would mean that this guy is actually more likely to be correct according to the logic of climate change deniers

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Its similar to a strain of flu ffs big deal, we love catastrophizing everything.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Are you saying that they did not say this? And what has 'right-wing' got to do with it, unless you letting your own political bias muddle your thought process a little?

https://www.populationconnection.org/climate-emergency-bioscience/

I'm surprised they didn't go as far as to call for 'extermination'.

I'm not surprised you're prepared to go as far as to say such a horrible and scurrilous thing. A particularly nasty, loaded language, sentence.

Shameful.

I have mentioned Thomas Malthus often enough in relation to the empire building notion of Darwin/Wallace in terms of population control and from there to the holocaust or indeed the Irish famine where English policy was enacted by Charles Trevelyan as a student of Malthus among others -

"Till at length the whole territory, from the confines of China to the
    shores of the Baltic, was peopled by a various race of Barbarians,
    brave, robust, and enterprising, inured to hardship, and delighting in
    war. Some tribes maintained their independence. Others ranged
    themselves under the standard of some barbaric chieftain who led them
    to victory after victory, and what was of more importance, to regions
    abounding in corn, wine, and oil, the long wished for consummation,
    and great reward of their labours. An Alaric, an Attila, or a Zingis
    Khan, and the chiefs around them, might fight for glory, for the fame
    of extensive conquests, but the true cause that set in motion the
    great tide of northern emigration, and that continued to propel it
    till it rolled at different periods against China, Persia, italy, and
    even Egypt, was a scarcity of food, a population extended beyond the
    means of supporting it."
    Thomas Malthus

This was re-formatted by Darwin/Wallace into an evolutionary narrative based on aggression which was picked up by the national socialists in 1930's Germany.

"Without consideration of "traditions" and prejudices, Germany must find the courage to gather
    our people and their strength for an advance along the road that will lead this people from its
    present restricted living space to new land and soil, and hence also free it from the danger of
    vanishing from the earth or of serving others as a slave nation."

— Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

In between Malthus and Darwin was the English response to the Irish famine as both an academic policy and political policy. It was more an exploitation issue wrapped up in detached empirical thinking and so , with population control raising its ugly head again on this island, people should become familiar with how academic policy influences political policies to the devastation of society when otherwise people would act with responsibility and accountability.

The word 'denier' is thrown around but it really is unfamiliarity among those reasonable people who can figure things out themselves rather than rely on a weak opposition using the same experimental and data strategies as the proponents. They can be forgiven for believing that academics act with integrity in much the same way people believed proffessionals in charge of financial institutions acted with integrity 10 years ago but that is naive. People probably refuse to believe that humans can act in an evil way within academic circles but history has demonstrated otherwise and it is being repeated today.

In following the 'scientific method' trail there is always worse but that goes nowhere without a positive approach to climate research.

I'm not surprised you're prepared to go as far as to say such a horrible and scurrilous thing. A particularly nasty, loaded language, sentence.

Shameful.
    They really have you, don't they..

New Moon

But N&Z say there is no greenhouse effect...they certainly don't think there will be 1.5C warming for CO2 doubling - which is what you seem to be saying.

So you both do and don't agree with N&Z?

The whole premise of the agw argument is that a doubling of CO2 will be directly responsible for anwhere from +1.0 to +6.0 °C of warming (IPCC AR5). They admit they don't have a clue what the actual figure is, though.
    No best estimate for equilibrium climate sensitivity can now be given because of a lack of agreement on values across assessed lines of evidence and studies.

Meaning there are some studies out (e.g. Bates 2016) that has it down around 1.0, but of course we don't like to talk about him on this forum...

The way some of you are going on you'd think that it's all "virtually certain" with everything IPCC, but it's really not. It brings us back to that one UAH versus Mears TLT dataset again. Which is right? Low confidence. Settled science is not low confidence.
    It is virtually certain that globally the troposphere has warmed since the mid-20th century. More complete observations
    allow greater confidence in estimates of tropospheric temperature changes in the extratropical Northern Hemisphere
    than elsewhere. There is medium confidence in the rate of warming and its vertical structure in the Northern Hemisphere
    extra-tropical troposphere and low confidence elsewhere. {2.4}

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They really have you, don't they..

You scurrilously imply many scientists want genocide - and I'm under their control for pointing that out?

Nurse, it's worse than we thought...

The whole premise of the agw argument is that a doubling of CO2 will be directly responsible for anwhere from +1.0 to +6.0 °C of warming (IPCC AR5). They admit they don't have a clue what the actual figure is, though.

There is a new coronavirus spreading among people. it will kills a number of people but we don't have a clue what the actual figure will be, the best estimate atm would be, I understand, 'hopefully not many'.

Therefore, you would say, it isn't happening???? Or what would you say?

Wrt AGW I think we've seen warming, .5-1C so far. For me that adds weight to projections that 2-4C warming by 2100 being highly likely. Am I certain about that? No, and you wont find me expressing certainty. Otoh, am I complacent and thus listen to crackpots? Absolutely not.

• Advertisement

There is a new coronavirus spreading among people. it will kills a number of people but we don't have a clue what the actual figure will be, the best estimate atm would be, I understand, 'hopefully not many'.

Therefore, you would say, it isn't happening???? Or what would you say?

Wrt AGW I think we've seen warming, .5-1C so far. For me that adds weight to projections that 2-4C warming by 2100 being highly likely. Am I certain about that? No, and you wont find me expressing certainty. Otoh, am I complacent and thus listen to crackpots? Absolutely not.

The emergence of a dangerous virus killing its human hosts has often been equated with humanity as a virus killing the planetary host but such notions are infantile but then again so is 'climate change' as an experimental vehicle.

People are being more reasonable and responsible with atmospheric, land and oceanic pollution or are, at least, taking steps in a global version of 'tidy towns' with no reason why it won't continue to everyone's benefit.

This moaning and groaning about humans as a virus and the need to identify cows as a public enemy or population control (to kill the virus ) comes from a certain section of society which are presently and unfortunately dominant but their pessimism has always existed in one form or other throughout history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement