Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this appropriate interview attire if I don't have a full

Options
  • 12-02-2018 9:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi

I have an interview coming up with a newspaper for a software development position on a grad program. I don't have a full suit, I can't afford to buy one, and I probably can't borrow one.

What I plan on wearing is a Shirt, Slacks, and a zip neck jumper. Would I get away with this?

Also, what would be better to wear shoe wise with black slacks. Brown fake leather dress shoes, or my brother's black slip-on shoes for school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

hit up a charity shop you will get a suit for a tenner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

LambDev wrote: »
    Hi

I have an interview coming up with a newspaper for a software development position on a grad program. I don't have a full suit, I can't afford to buy one, and I probably can't borrow one.

What I plan on wearing is a Shirt, Slacks, and a zip neck jumper. Would I get away with this?

Also, what would be better to wear shoe wise with black slacks. Brown fake leather dress shoes, or my brother's black slip-on shoes for school.

Buy a shirt in penneys and a tie. Thise with slack will be fine.

Just buy a tie and wear in underneath the zip jumper but ensure it showm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Black shoes with your black slacks. Wear a tie with that shirt and slacks.

This is one of those topics that you'll get opinions on left, right and centre, but in reality, I don't think anyone really cares.

So long as you're not dressed in a 'couldn't give a fcuk' way (tracksuit or pyjamas, etc.) i doubt most people will pass any remarks. Just look presentable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Email the person you've been talking to in the company, and ask what their dress code is. If it's a newspaper, it's probably very relaxed, and since you're going for a software dev position, slacks and a shirt would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

V Neck jumper with a shirt and tie underneath plus slacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Slacks, shirt and tie will be fine. I'd wear a suit myself but I'd see no issue with no jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve been hiring for years.
    I wouldn’t consider that role would require a full suite for the interview.

Black shoes sound good, wouldn’t go with the jumper.
    A suitable tie with your own shirt or like others said get a cheap shirt/tie set in Dunn’s or pennies.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Slacks, shirt and tie will be fine. I'd wear a suit myself but I'd see no issue with no jacket.

Plus 1. Anytime I get into the interview i always ask can i take my jacket off anyway. Much more comfy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wear the black slacks and black shoes, shirt and a tie.
    Do you have any jackets that you can wear into the interview room and just take off and put on the back of the chair?

If you feel comfortable, you will give a comfortable appearance to the interview panel.

Also, it's about what you know, not what you look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I agree shirt, tie, slacks or a suit. The only jumper I think you could get away with is the ones that have the fake shirt collar attached. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Shirt : freshly washed and ironed
    Slacks : clean and ironed
    jumper/cardigan/whatever : clean and not a rag.
    Shoes: preferably black, but if they still look crap after a good polish, wear the brown ones. Make sure they're polished.

Hair, nails clean.

there's a gap here. Are you walking the streets like that? Have you no jacket?

In the main I'd say as long as you don't look sloppy you should be ok - which is why I wouldn't completely rule out the brown shoes. There is , after all, no accounting for taste. And I'm sure no one expects a grad recruit to have an Armani suit yet.

Finally, best of luck. If you're not sloppy, then they'll just focus on your competencies/knowledge/experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I've been in software dev for almost a decade. Companies that have even the slightest care about what you wear are very uncommon, assuming you don't go looking like an actual hobo. Casual dress is the norm and pretty much expected at interviews. The very few that do care are generally going to be soul destroying environments so worth giving a miss anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had a young lad in once wearing a suit he’d obviously never had on before, tie as tight as a hangman, I could imagine the mother thghtening the damn thing to the last.

He was uncomfortable to the point he was awful.

I told him to take off the jacket and tie and relax, I was in a casual shirt and black jeans myself.

He actually did a good interview and got one of the places open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

I work in a rather formal place and have interviewed quite a few people.

Plenty of people come in wearing all kinds of clothes, and it doesn't matter one bit.

I honestly feel a suit is a must for an interview unless otherwise stated on the interview invitation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Dev84 wrote: »
    I honestly feel a suit is a must for an interview unless otherwise stated on the interview invitation

Not for IT IMO. "these days" Maybe 20 years ago.

You in your fancy suit, him in his donkey kong "retro" t-shirt. :pac:

Dress smart and comfortable. No one really gives a sh|t unless you look like you made no effort. One's who do give a sh|t you're probably better off finding somewhere else to work anyway

limnam wrote: »
    Not for IT IMO. "these days" Maybe 20 years ago.

You in your fancy suit, him in his donkey kong "retro" t-shirt. :pac:

Dress smart and comfortable. No one really gives a sh|t unless you look like you made no effort. One's who do give a sh|t you're probably better off finding somewhere else to work anyway

Ah donkey kong retro tshirt! Thats not stero typing in anyway!

Id go with the suit for the interview.

I agree that IT in general seems to be smart casual but I'd still be wearing a suit/shirt and tie for an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In general the rule of thumb is if the job requires you to wear a suit or three piece then wear that at the interview else smart casual as others have said is perfectly acceptable (not a jumper tho)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 LambDev

Thanks all for the replies and the tips.

I'm going to Dunnes tomorrow to buy nice fitted slacks, and a new pair of laced black shoes. I'll wear these with a blue shirt.

Some people were asking about a jacket. I have my winter puffy type of jacket which is going to have to do.

Hopefully this goes well, I'm so nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'm going to Dunnes tomorrow to buy nice fitted slacks, and a new pair of laced black shoes. I'll wear these with a blue shirt.

Some people were asking about a jacket. I have my winter puffy type of jacket which is going to have to do.

FWIW if I am interviewing you, then I expect you to respect me and the interview by wearing a tie and jacket. Maybe that's not how it should be but that's how it is. Best of luck

FWIW if I am interviewing you, then I expect you to respect me and the interview by wearing a tie and jacket. Maybe that's not how it should be but that's how it is. Best of luck

If I could, I would. Not wearing a suit does not mean I don't respect the interview panel and the interview itself.

If that's not acceptable, than so be it. I have to the best with what I've got.

Thank You

If I could, I would. Not wearing a suit does not mean I don't respect the interview panel and the interview itself.

If that's not acceptable, than so be it. I have to the best with what I've got.

Thank You

Exactly. Best of luck with it :)

Just throw a tie on kid also.

It could make all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Wear a tie, don’t wear a puffa jacket, if you need it for outdoors remove it before you go into the interview room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

People are giving tips here as if it's a purely IT job but it seems to me it's in a newspaper? Not the same thing.

Wear the slacks, shoes, shirt and tie and you'll be fine OP. I agree with others, just remove your jacket before you enter the room.

Just another question.

Would it be OK to even wear a plain crew neck jump over the shirt, or best to leave it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

pilly wrote: »
    People are giving tips here as if it's a purely IT job but it seems to me it's in a newspaper? Not the same thing. ....

True. Would a newspaper be different I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just another question.

Would it be OK to even wear a plain crew neck jump over the shirt, or best to leave it?

No to the jumper

Advertisement