Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vietnam visa

• 29-08-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all,
    l have read a few threads and getting mixed views so i will just ask ,was just wondering the best way to go about getting a Vietnam visa ,we decided to go their and its too late to send away passports, is it recommended to fly in or border-cross on land? were in Bangkok for 4 days so has anyone info on the Vietnam embassy there, anyone been recently?

any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/

use this done it and it works just fine, easyest way i think,

you have to think about one thing , really the only resion Vietnam has a visa is to make money off it after that they realy dont care this is how this site works so well.

o yes with that you have to fly in... all info is on the site so go read it if then you have a qustion re that process do let me know and ill tell you what i can,

btw vietnam is great have fun, and when crossing a road the trick is to just walk out at a nice speed, dont run or stop as if so they will hit you, if you just walk they will all go around you, its the coolest exp of crossing a raod you will ever have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rbyrne1888

thanks for the reply , i cant see anything that mentions crossing by land it seems to be just aimed at airport ? what airline would you recommend to fly in their with?

ya i only went in and out of hanoi, it was fine, (ill point out airport is not that great in terms of shops when leaving but what would you expect there anhow!

i know of 4 other people that used this site as well and all worked out,

so id recomend you use them, what happens is you give them your info and pay them some money and they will then email you a letter of invation etc
    just print out all that they send you and keep it safe,
    on there site they will tell you everything you need so just check there i think its 2 passport photos , the stuff they send you and some US dollers (cant remember how much)all on there site tho,
    then when you land just before imagration there is a box off to one side (in hanoi anyhow) go up there hand them in the info pay the man and he there and then will give you ur visa on the passport, no qustions or anything then just join the que and pass though imagration and your in!

if i was going back again id use them and do it that way, you can also get a longer visa then you can get in a embassy from them as well so thats handy!

Used that site aswell.. If you don't plan of flying, just get the visa in Bangkok or Laos. You don't have to worry about the embassies etc. Your hostel or hotel will do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

I've just booked an Intrepid trip leaving on 6th August going to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. I'll have to arrange a Thai visa to get into Bangkok on the 7th August & won't have time to apply to London for my visa to Vietnam before I leave. We'll be crossing the border from Cambodia - can I just get the visa on the border or how else can I get one..? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

doohey wrote: »
    I've just booked an Intrepid trip leaving on 6th August going to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. I'll have to arrange a Thai visa to get into Bangkok on the 7th August & won't have time to apply to London for my visa to Vietnam before I leave. We'll be crossing the border from Cambodia - can I just get the visa on the border or how else can I get one..? Thanks

No need to apply here, You can get visa when acrossing the border to Cambodia or Vietnam. Not a problem. How long are you planning to stay in Thailand ? If more than 30 days, apply for tourist Visa here, if less than 30 days,no need to apply for visa, you get one at BKK Airport. If you stay in Thailand for 30 days then go to Veitnam, you get another 15days visa back to Thailand if across the border, 30 days if by flight. Enjoy your trip.

Really!!? That would be brilliant if so! Am only in Bangkok for three days before leaving for leaving for Cambodia so I can just get a visa in the airport when I arrive? Was there two years ago but was staying for 5 weeks & applied for visa then so just assumed it was the same this time around..
    Do you have a website link for your info..?

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/

Yes, get the visa at the Airport if staying less than 30 days. Free of Charge.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement

doohey wrote: »
    Thank you!!

Enjoy the trip.... Try bring back the trip report from Veitnam and Camdodia if you can.... I am going on 4th September for 6 weeks. Thailand only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

dont forget to get your vietnam visa in advance.

Can I not get this on the border crossing from Cambodia? Going to be in Bangkok for two days - would this be enough time to get an agent to get one for me? Or where in Cambodia would I get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

Its not available at the border, chainsawman was wrong. You could get it in Bangkok in that time if its not a weekend when you are there or get it in Phnom Penh in Cambodia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Get the vietnam visa in PP much easier as you only have 2 days in Thailand(I think your doing the right think only staying 2 days in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam way more interesting countries you'll really enjoy it happy travels).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

How long does it take to get the Vietnam visa sorted from Ireland through a travel agency? Also, has anybody used websites like http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/ ? Are they reputable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

yeah you have to get a cert for your visa in advance and have a passport sized photo with you. you can get the cert online. we got ours from London first time travelling to Vietnam took about 2 to 3 weeks you have to post your passport to London which is a major risk at this late stage. so check out the online cert. 2nd time we thought we could get it on arrival but couldn't, luckily there was some corrupt police on that day that would gladly except 100 US dollars from each of us for the visa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody going to vietnam this summer?

Trying to sort a visa is a bit of a nightmare.

You used to have to send your actual passport to England . Now they seem to be changing to a loose leaf system where you can send a copy of your passport.

But they don't answer the phone and when I emailed them, they emailed me back the old system, where I have to send my actual passport.

Anybody know how to go about the loose leaf system or has anybody done it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

You used to have to send your actual passport to England . Now they seem to be changing to a loose leaf system where you can send a copy of your passport.

But they don't answer the phone and when I emailed them, they emailed me back the old system, where I have to send my actual passport.

Thanks.

I travelled there last September and used the visa on arrival option. I filled out a form online and received a copy of a letter approving my entry on the selected date. There was a fee of about 30 euro for this. I used a crowd called vietnam-visa.com for this and I had no issues.

When I arrived in Ho Chi Minh airport I handed in the letter, my passport and a couple of photos and got my visa then. There was another fee of circa 35 US dollars. The process took about an hour at the airport but was fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Same as, we used starvietnamvisa.com.
    It's only valid at airports though, and not sure if at some or none at all land crossings. If you're entering by land you'll need to check that out first or apply for regular visa, if you're going to one of the other countries, like Thailand first, you can apply there provided you have a couple of days to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I used myvietnamvisacom and got visa on arrival, its cheaper and easier than sending your passport to the UK (as long as your entering via air into Hanoi, HCMC or Danang)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭majo

I am also trying to apply for a visa to Vietnam through the Vietnamese Embassy in London. They want me to use the online application process. How do you pay? I can transfer the money via online banking but they want proof that I have paid this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

going in July for 3 weeks, where is the easiest/cheapest place to sort out a visa ?

also anyone with any suggestions on a itinerary , flying in and out of ho chi minh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

used a site like this https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/processing.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwjca5BRCAyaPGi6_h8m8SJADryPLhsUf9NHeaHh777Yi-S7CC94H8NM7_0RDRRW3DvaRaZhoCcDLw_wcB

Mekong delta for a day trip or longer if you have the time is definitely worth it. Cu Chi tunnels are also cool. Can't remember what other stuff we did near the city but plenty in the city itself but it is tiring at times. We were on a budget though and would have been nice to have a good hotel near the opera house area. Still close to loads of pubs and restaurants but around the hotel itself would be a little quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marl88

Thanks.

Hi I know this is quite old but just wondering how you got on with vietnamese visa? I am travelling there next month but not sure about posting my passport to London. The embassy website says I can get a loose leaf visa by emailing copy of details instead of posting but the email reply comes from a Gmail account which I find strange. Just wondering if you user this loose leaf visa system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Search boards, lots of similar threads. Mostly when flying in people use an agent to get the visa on arrival preapproval, e.g. sites such as starvietnamvisa.com or myvietnamvisa.com who you pay to get you the approval letter

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

I recently applied for a loose leaf Vietnam visa. Didn't have to send in my passport, had to make payment first and fill in application form
    http://visa.mofa.gov.vn/_layouts/registration/ApplicationForm.aspx
    and received response from them at Gmail address.
    All above board and got the loose leaf visa the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonny_be_good

2smiggy wrote: »
    going in July for 3 weeks, where is the easiest/cheapest place to sort out a visa ?

also anyone with any suggestions on a itinerary , flying in and out of ho chi minh :)
    Hi !
    Did you sort out your vietnamese visa yet ? I'm heading over in 4 weeks and i live in australia but i have an irish passport. The vietnamese embassy in Ireland says to apply for a "loose leaf visa" which they can send to ireland. But not sure what happens if your applying from Australia !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anspinc

Hello,

I am applying for a loose leaf visa to the Vietnamese embassy. Can anyone advise of the proof of payment that is required? I am applying online so I don't think a bank draft will suffice. Would a screen shot of online bank payment do the trick? This option seems quite basic.
    Any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Hi Anspinc,
    Im a little confused by your question ,but when we went last year ,this we found to be very easy .
    Apply for Vietnam visa on arrival - 100% online application: instead of coming to the Embassy as before to get Vietnam visa, you just stay at home, click apply Vietnam visa online to make visa application, make online payment, receive the visa pre-approved letter online, fly to Vietnam and get their Vietnam visa stamped at arrival airport.You pay the visa fee on arrival in US dollars.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Anspinc wrote: »
    Hello,

I am applying for a loose leaf visa to the Vietnamese embassy. Can anyone advise of the proof of payment that is required? I am applying online so I don't think a bank draft will suffice. Would a screen shot of online bank payment do the trick? This option seems quite basic.

Many thanks.

If you email them they'll give you full instructions. consular@vietnamembassy.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3 govietnam

my recommendation is the same with Pat 36059, you can apply Vietnam visa on arrival and get approval letter, after that you get your visa at arrival airport

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Much easier to get visa on arrival. Vietnam Visa Company is the one I use but there are plenty online. Don't pay for the "extra" service... it is just a guy who meets you at the visa desk and takes longer to fill out your form for you than you would yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Hi !
    Did you sort out your vietnamese visa yet ? I'm heading over in 4 weeks and i live in australia but i have an irish passport. The vietnamese embassy in Ireland says to apply for a "loose leaf visa" which they can send to ireland. But not sure what happens if your applying from Australia !
    Just go for the online thing - for example http://www.vietnamvisacorp.com/ - there are loads more. If you have an Irish passport, you will have no problem this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

Heading to Hanoi for New years and trying to decide on VOA or loose leaf. VOA is half the price but worried about the stories of long queues.... Will the wait be long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

PATJOE wrote: »
    Heading to Hanoi for New years and trying to decide on VOA or loose leaf. VOA is half the price but worried about the stories of long queues.... Will the wait be long?

The wait is unpredictable. I arrived in Hanoi early August and was waiting for 90 minutes. My friend arrived at the same time the next day and got through in 20. New Year will be busy. In future I'll organise the visa first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Is there a big price difference in the visa on arrival or loose leaf from UK embassy?
    We got them through the embassy, its a very easy process and all through email. Straight through when we landed in Hanoi. I did notice a huge queue for visas when we arrived.

Is there a big price difference in the visa on arrival or loose leaf from UK embassy?
    We got them through the embassy, its a very easy process and all through email. Straight through when we landed in Hanoi. I did notice a huge queue for visas when we arrived.

Roughly €80 versus €40, not worth 90mins wait to me though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

More like 10 mins to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

Hi,

I just applied for and received the loose leaf visa. For proof of payment, I made a PDF of the payment screenshot from my online banking. Was accepted no problem. It was the full summary screen for the payment showing amount and recipient bank details and address.
    Anspinc wrote: »
    Hello,

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi All

Thinking of traveling to Hanoi late January and looking at the Visa.

Would I be better going for the Embassy one or the one on arrival

This is the company I was thinking of using ?

https://www.visaonlinevietnam.com/

After all that hassle there is a postal strike in the UK so I will not have my loose leaf Visa on time so I am gonna have to apply for VOA.

What company do ye recommend? I travel on the 29th Dec....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have used vietnam visa pro for last 5 yrs wit no hassle takes about 2/3 working days and visa ready to collect ya'll be grand, just download everything they give and bring with you, who are ya flying with?

I used
    https://www.vietnam-visa.com
    Quick and efficient.
    They'll do it same day for an extra $10.

Thanks everybody what would Ireland do without Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thereddaly

Hi. I was going to start a new thread but I just ask on this. Has anyone had any problem with these different sites? The price is varying massively and I don't want to have to pay over 100 euro on one website when there is one that works legit for 22euro!. Any first hand experience? I am heading at the end of the month for 3 weeks.

thereddaly wrote: »
    Hi. I was going to start a new thread but I just ask on this. Has anyone had any problem with these different sites? The price is varying massively and I don't want to have to pay over 100 euro on one website when there is one that works legit for 22euro!. Any first hand experience? I am heading at the end of the month for 3 weeks.

I used http://vietnam-visa.com/ in August. It was $21. No issues.

Hi All

Just wondering if someone has ever applied for a Vietnam Visa ? Is the process daunting ? Or would I be better off going to someone like Visa First and pay the extra

Thanks in Advance

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If you're going in from Phnom Penh, I'd get it the day before you travel from the embassy. US$ 80 and I had it within a couple of hours. Never used any of the online agencies.

Whatever way you decide to do it, have a few extra passport pictures handy before you travel. You'll need minimum 2 for Vietnam

• Advertisement
Advertisement