Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked on moving due to floor fitting

Options
  • 05-04-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

We bought an apartment and got the keys on Thursday last week. On Friday we had to appointment with the fitter from TC Matthews for the flooring. They started but unfortunately were due to come back on Saturday. However, due to the lockdown announced last Friday evening, that did not happen.

This means that we are still paying rent on our existing apartment, and we will start paying our mortgage for the new apartment without being able to move due to the flooring.

I have my doubts of floor fitting in such situation being essential, but wanted to see here if anyone has found themselves on a similar situation?

We can wait these 2 weeks or a couple more, my concern is if this continues. Other work required in the apartment or furniture could wait, but right now we're stuck until they can come back to finish the flooring.

Thanks in advance,
    Marco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is the flooring completed in any rooms? if so, just store most non essential stuff there, just put bedframe in bedroom, couch in living room etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Flooring is non essential.
    The workers were right to cancel.

But, why can’t you move in?
    Just throw down sheets of the underlay or plastic bags for the moment to save on the double paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had no flooring for a couple of weeks at the beginning and it really is no big deal at all. Floor guys can move stuff. So I'd say move in and don't add any more stress to your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t be a snowflake, just move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just move in and live without flooring for a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 marcobon

Thanks for all your suggestions!

In a way it's annoying that it won't be as we thought. My wife is more the one not that happy about moving in before it's all done. Part of that is more thinking on our 2y old...

I think we'll wait to see what happens with the restrictions later this week. If this continues (most likely), then we might go with plan B: order underlay or some kind of carpet tiles from Amazon, move all stuff into 1 room that we keep closed, put on underlay/carpet tiles and go from there. We had some furniture ordered from ikea but looks like they're not delivering for now. But that at least could get us started and in a position to move..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

marcobon wrote: »
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

In a way it's annoying that it won't be as we thought. My wife is more the one not that happy about moving in before it's all done. Part of that is more thinking on our 2y old...

I think we'll wait to see what happens with the restrictions later this week. If this continues (most likely), then we might go with plan B: order underlay or some kind of carpet tiles from Amazon, move all stuff into 1 room that we keep closed, put on underlay/carpet tiles and go from there. We had some furniture ordered from ikea but looks like they're not delivering for now. But that at least could get us started and in a position to move..

I think you can safely assume 2-4 weeks minimum before this could go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Your 2 yr old will be fine. Put socks on them if the ground is cold. It doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect. You won’t be having visitors for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is moving house actually one of the reasons you are allowed to go outside at the moment???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is moving house actually one of the reasons you are allowed to go outside at the moment???

If their current lease is up, and their second house is ready, financial stress of paying for 2 properties, I doubt any Garda would say anything. Home is essential.

Al they have to do is get to their new home. Garda stops them, where you going...Home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i had to complete a move ( and clear out of rented accomodation) lasrt week. Was stopped a couple of times going from one place to the other but was waved on when I explained. had no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

marcobon wrote: »
    This means that we are still paying rent on our existing apartment, and we will start paying our mortgage for the new apartment without being able to move due to the flooring.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-banks-offer-three-21715565
    Ask your mortgage provider if they can pause paying rent for a few months. I'm sure they've come across this.

Advertisement