Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary school posts

Options
  • 11-04-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I was just wondering what the job market is like for new recruits at the moment? Is there a shortage of teachers so you get work easily enough or are you subbing for 5-10 yrs before finding the elusive permanent post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

You will find yourself subbing for years unless you have someone to pull you into a job. There certainly isn't a shortage of primary teachers, if anything it is saturated with graduates - being honest. There are loads of teachers available for subbing but getting the permanent job is another thing. I knew people who were subbing for 5 years and 9 years before they got a permanent job but then there was another one who got a job straight after college.

PS. This is about country schools really. I do not know what the situation is with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PixiePop

You will find yourself subbing for years unless you have someone to pull you into a job. There certainly isn't a shortage of primary teachers, if anything it is saturated with graduates. Being honest.

Honesty is what I want. As you hear that but then the papers report a shortage, especially in Dublin due to low pay. And my son’s schools say they can’t get teachers so mixed messages. But dont want to change my career and have all that expense for an oversaturated market. I’m too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Currently there is a shortage country wide of primary school teachers. This will change over the next few years though as the bubble of children moves into secondary.

If it is what you want to do then go for it. I was a late convert to teaching. By the time I got out onto the jobs market the pay cuts and increment freezes had occured. Now I was never not subbing. I took everything I got and got that elusive permanent job from the supplementary panel without any pull and without having ever subbed in the school. I was the right fit at the right time for the school and myself. Love it there. Yes pull helps but from experience I can honestly say if you work hard you'll get what you deserve.

Advertisement