Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm enjoying Omega's shift into the leader role, he's adapting pretty well I think. I need to get myself a bit more Bullet Club merch while the going is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

token101 wrote: »
    Not a huge NJPW fan, only watched a few clips on YouTube and the likes, but in Tokyo and tempted to head along to this show. Who should I be looking out for? Ive heard Bad Luck Fale is decent?

Fale isn't that great. As said, he's decent but nothing more. He works very well with Tanahashi (as does pretty much everyone) and to a lesser extent Okada. Other than that, he's just kinda there. Unfortunately, The Elite aren't on this show so you'll miss three of the best. Otherwise, Tanahashi, Ishii, Naito and Elgin usually deliver. Tama Tonga has improved a ton over the last year and is moving up the list of people to watch. Three of the four in the tag match are incredibly good. Sakuraba isn't terrible, just old and beaten up. Kojima vs. Honma could be a great match. Yano vs. Yujiro is really the only weak match on the card. Everything else should be at least pretty good so it would be a good show to go to.

A lot of really good matches I thought. Ended up having to watch Yano vs. Yujiro again. So used to the countout spot where they make it back in on 19, that I was checking my phone and missed the finish. A good idea to throw it in every now and then to prevent people expecting them to make it back in every single time like I did. Will Ospreay being announced was a nice surprise. Was expecting him to just show up but they seem to be getting behind him straight away.

The big news though has to be the return of the Super J Cup in August. NJPW, CMLL, ROH, Dragon Gate, Kaientai Dojo, Noah, Zero-1 and RDPW are apparently all going to be involved so I would expect an incredibly stacked line-up. Hopefully it becomes a regular fixture going forward.

The second round is tomorrow and has the following matches:

Bad Luck Fale vs. Michael Elgin.
    Tama Tonga vs. Hirooki Goto.
    Satoshi Kojima vs. Yano Toru.
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito.

Not hard to pick what should be the stand out there. Tonga vs. Goto should be pretty good too. Don't expect much from the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Nah Fale Elgin should be great. Calling it now.

Tama Tonga is fast becoming one of my favourite wrestlers right now. Guy has improved so much in recent years.

Semi Finals and Finals are both on the 12th. Yano vs. Naito and Goto vs. Elgin. Think Naito's streak of great matches in the New Japan Cup is about to come to an end.

• Advertisement

God Ishii/Naito was so damned good. Really fun. Naito punking out Ishii and posing was amazing.

Naito has said if he wins the Cup, he will not challenge for any title! Assuming Naito beats Yano, he will have defeated three CHAOS members in a row. Okada is a member of CHAOS so it would be a nice story to have Okada challenge Naito in pursuit of vengeance. Have Naito blow him off, do whatever in April and May, then have Naito accept the challenge for Dominion in June. Dominion is in Osaka. Naito gets unreal heat in Osaka so him winning the Championship there would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

This thread needs to be rescued from page 3 purgatory. Anyone catch the finals of the NJ Cup? Naito has been absolutely killing it since his heel turn and him vs Okada is probably the hottest pairing possible right now in New Japan. That match, on top of a pretty solid looking undercard, makes Invasion Attack a must see event.

On Monday there was the big DDT Judgement show from Sumo Hall, it was long, it was bizarre, the big matches delivered and it was a tonne of fun, your typical big DDT show.

Stardom have launched their own streaming service "Stardom World" via YouTube. You get all the most recent events plus translated promos and exclusive content. Slowly they will likely even put up their excellent archive. Stardom is probably the number 1 joshi promotion around and it's well worth checking out via their 14 day free trial.

Looking forward to seeing Osprey v Kushida at start of April too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Spent ages trying to find a NJPW New Japan World thread to no avail....

They put up Road to Invasion Attack on their website for free.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00384_1_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm sure there's at least a few people here who've seen this match. But for those who haven't, and even for those who have, here's a link to Ishii v Shibata at the G1 Climax in 2013. The night we saw strong style on steroids.

https://vimeo.com/81761258

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm sure there's at least a few people here who've seen this match. But for those who haven't, and even for those who have, here's a link to Ishii v Shibata at the G1 Climax in 2013. The night we saw strong style on steroids.

https://vimeo.com/81761258

Absolutely killer match. Obviously their WK10 bout was longer but I loved the G1 sprint style mixed with the super intensity that these 2 bring. Bell to bell you'd struggle to name many better than Ishii right now.

So there's been the BOSJ, a show in Osaka Jo Hall (with a great main event) and a pretty killer opening show for the 26th edition of the G1 Climax and nothing....

How did everyone enjoy Mondays G1 show? Shock results, emotionally stirring performances and a sense after the show that so much of what transpired really will matter down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So there's been the BOSJ, a show in Osaka Jo Hall (with a great main event) and a pretty killer opening show for the 26th edition of the G1 Climax and nothing....

How did everyone enjoy Mondays G1 show? Shock results, emotionally stirring performances and a sense after the show that so much of what transpired really will matter down the line.

Im waaaaay behind on my New Japan this year, life just getting in the way. Havent seen a sausage of G1 this year, after I did so well following it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ishii vs Okada was something else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Another MOTY contender from Okada and Ishii showing yet again why he's bleedin brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Feeling pretty happy that Omega is into the finals of the G1 Climax, I'd like to see him win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Okada vs Tanahashi, then Omega vs Naito 2 superb Main Event matches. The first 2 have without question the best chemistry of their generation, always deliver no matter what & the latter was just fantastic storytelling 101.

I've watched the Omega and Naito match twice today, it was just so good. Haven't had a chance to see Okada vs. Tanahashi, I'll try and watch tomorrow, maybe after the G1 finals.

I wonder does Ibushi turning down a WWE have anything to do with Omega winning. Ibushi has to know NJPW want to do that match and with Omega now in contention for the World title, it's a guaranteed main event on almost any show.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping this gets Bullet Club back to being a bit stronger now, they'be felt a bit listless the last while (hardly surprising given Styles, Gallows, and Anderson all left in the last year).

I was thinking I'd grown to like LIJ, but I think it's more that I just really enjoy Naito, cause I don't really care too much about the other three (I love Lethal, but he's part-time LIJ really).

Also, I really don't get Toru Yano. Feels like he's a comedy wrestler, but I'm just not getting the joke. Must be what the rest of Europe felt like when we sent Dustin the Turkey to the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The full Wrestle Kingdom 11 card:

Wrestle Kingdom 11 Full Card

#Wrestle Kingdom 11 (January 4th) Card:

**3:00am Eastern / 12:00am Pacific / 8:00am UK / 5:00pm Japan**

* Pre-show Rumble

* Tiger Mask W (Kota Ibushi) vs. Tiger The Dark
    * **IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag-Team Championship:** The Young Bucks (c) vs Roppongi Vice
    * **NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag-Team Championship:** Satoshi Kojima, Ricochet, & David Finlay (c) vs. LIdJ (SANADA/EVIL/BUSHI) vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii/Will Ospreay/YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Bullet Club (Hangman Page/Yujiro Takahashi/Bad Luck Fale)

* **Special Singles Match:** Juice Robinson vs. Cody Rhodes
    * **RoH World Championship:** Kyle O'Reilly (c) vs. Adam Cole
    * **IWGP Tag-Team Championship:** Guerillas of Destiny (c) vs. Great Bash Heel
    * **IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship:** KUSHIDA (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
    * **NEVER Openweight Championship:** Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Hirooki Goto
    * **IWGP Intercontinental Championship:** Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito.

* **IWGP Heavyweight Championship:** Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega

#Road to Tokyo Dome Day 1 (December 16) Card:

**4:30am Eastern / 1:30am Pacific / 9:30am UK / 6:30pm Japan**

* Jushin Liger and Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto and Jado

* CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, YOSHI-HASHI, & Gedo) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale, & Yujiro Takahashi)

* Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi, & Yo****atsu vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask IV, & Henare

* **Special Singles Match:** Tomohiro Ishii vs. Chase Owens

* Great Bash Heel and Juice Robinson vs. Bullet Club (Guerillas of Destiny and BONE SOLDIER)

* TenKoji and David Finlay vs. LIdJ (BUSHI, EVIL, and SANADA)

* Hiroshi Tanahashi and KUSHIDA vs. LIdJ (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

#Road to Tokyo Dome Day 2 (December 17) Card:

**4:30am Eastern / 1:30am Pacific / 9:30am UK / 6:30pm Japan**

* Jushin Liger and Henare vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Yo****atsu

* CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Gedo) vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and BONE SOLDIER)

* Great Bash Heel and Juice Robinson vs. Bullet Club (Guerillas of Destiny and Chase Owens)

* **Special Singles Match:** Yuji Nagata vs. Manabu Nakanishi

* CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and Jado) vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Tiger Mask IV

* TenKoji, Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, & David Finlay vs. LIdJ (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, Hiromu Takahashi, & BUSHI)

* CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale)

Very excited! Imo it's the bedt time of year to be a wrestling fan. Definitely don't sleep on those last 2 Korakuen shows before Tokyo Dome, they're usually a lot of fun. Also that main event of the 1st Korakuen show is killer.

In terms of the WK card I like it. Ok maybe there are some guys on the card who deserve more prominent spots like Ishii, Sanada, Ricochet ect. but there's only so many of those spots to go around. I've no doubt it'll be another top contender for show of the year 2017.

Tetsuya Naito announced (deservedly) as MVP of the Tokyo Sports Awards for 2016. His speech, which you can find a translated transcript on Chris Charlton's Twitter, was so very typically Naito. Not many people will care here but the awards are a fairly big deal for wrestling in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Moving to Tokyo with work in a few weeks, can't wait to get stuck into the wrestling when there, seems to be a show in Tokyo every night from at least one promotion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Moving to Tokyo with work in a few weeks, can't wait to get stuck into the wrestling when there, seems to be a show in Tokyo every night from at least one promotion :D

No way thats cool, congrats. Yea chances are every night there will be some promotion running Tokyo. Will also be an easy way to meet people and maybe build a friendship or two with people you work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To those who regularly watch New Japan, I'm looking at branching out in terms of wrestling in 2017, is it worth spending money on a NJPW subscription?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    To those who regularly watch New Japan, I'm looking at branching out in terms of wrestling in 2017, is it worth spending money on a NJPW subscription?

I've had it for 2 years now and its my most essential and favourite subscription and that includes Netflix and Spotify. You get all their shows, most of them (and all of the big ones) with commentary and full tv production. Their really big shows have English commentary. You can watch their stuff live, you can go back through the years and get to present day (that's what I did 2 years ago). For me, it's the best product in terms of ring work and intricate stories told brilliantly. If you ars open to it, you'll fall in love with NJPW and it might expand your interest into following other Puro companies.

Granted they could do more in terms of subtitling their content but if you follow the right people on twitter that problem is sorted too.

Also for anyone tempted to check out NJPW. All title matches from 2016 are now free to view for the next 7 days (which is the run up to Wrestle Kingdom). No sign up required, available on New Japan World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lithium93_ wrote: »

It depend son you tbh. I can say that if you have the spare cash and the time, its a no brainer. The top tier matches rarely disappoint.

Advertisement