Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In isolation but due to start new job next week

Options
  • 14-03-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I'm due to start a new job next wednesday but returning back from lanzarote today. Govt requesting people returning back from Spain to self isolate. Doesn't mention I'd this related to mainland spain or canary islands. There are no cases on our island here yet.

Wondering as my contract states I due to begin work 18th will I get paid for period I wont be working for or is it tough luck as haven't worked first day yet. It's a financial institution that I starting role with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

mjp wrote: »
    I'm due to start a new job next wednesday but returning back from lanzarote today. Govt requesting people returning back from Spain to self isolate. Doesn't mention I'd this related to mainland spain or canary islands. There are no cases on our island here yet.

Wondering as my contract states I due to begin work 18th will I get paid for period I wont be working for or is it tough luck as haven't worked first day yet. It's a financial institution that I starting role with.

I would contact them to explain the situation and discuss the possibility of working from home - it's very likely a lot of their employees are doing this already. If that's not feasible, I wouldn't expect you'll be paid unless perhaps if you get a cert from your doctor saying you have to self-isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

mjp wrote: »

Mainland and the islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mainland and the islands.

Contact them, they'll be happy enough to delay your start.

Get a cert from your doctor and you'll get the dole instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chances are that they won’t be open or want new hires in.

Advertisement