Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay teachers ousted USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Unfortunately stories like this regularly crop up for Catholic schools in the States. There are similar from public and private Protestant schools too. Employment law seems to vary a lot from state to state but schools seem to be able to hire and fire with particular ease.
    In this case the rank hypocrisy for me is that the church/school authorities pick and choose what constitutes living "a lifestyle compatible with Catholic teaching." Do divorcees get fired? Adulterers? (using church terminology!) Not to mention e.g. tax cheats and spouse/child beaters who have actually broken civil and criminal law?
    I'm a bit out of the loop and not sure what the similar situation is in Ireland but it's not too long since church management had the same powers here. That may have changed, but if it has it's pretty recent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

lottpaul wrote: »
    I'm a bit out of the loop and not sure what the similar situation is in Ireland but it's not too long since church management had the same powers here. That may have changed, but if it has it's pretty recent.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97955466

Advertisement