Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Geocaching made too Public

Options
  • 04-02-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Tricky one this as its great to see it growing and Im not sure if it people just not being sure or whether its deliberate.
    The Things I mean are.
    Caches going missing and some of them you wouldnt find by accident.
    For example I replcaced a Cache for somebody a few weeks ago as it was confirmed Gone. I hid it a bit better and its gone again F*****RS
    Trackables being taken and not Logged, been to caches that are meant to have severeal Trackables in them and there were none

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Vaperus wrote: »
    Tricky one this as its great to see it growing and Im not sure if it people just not being sure or whether its deliberate.
    The Things I mean are.
    Caches going missing and some of them you wouldnt find by accident.
    For example I replcaced a Cache for somebody a few weeks ago as it was confirmed Gone. I hid it a bit better and its gone again F*****RS
    Trackables being taken and not Logged, been to caches that are meant to have severeal Trackables in them and there were none

I don't see a solution for that. I think it is a particular problem with town caches. it is better to use nano's as they are easier to hide. The problem of course is that then you can't label them to explain what they are so people won't know what are. As for trackables, the general rule is that you can keep them for up to two weeks. Its not exactly good form not to write in the log that you have removed them, although it can happen. I know that prior to getting a smartphone when I was using my handheld GPS, I might not get around to logging my caches for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well that's one of the main reasons for setting your caches for premium members only. Especially when it comes to ones that people put travel bugs in. I'd say lots people that just try geocaching as a once off and find a cache with trackables in it just take them, and the don't know what to do with them or how to log them. They then forget about caching and the trackable is lost. Shame really.

It's hard to know if it's deliberate or not. Just yesterday we found two caches that were just lying on the ground out in the open, one of them in a busy enough place as well. If we weren't lucky enough to find them they could have just been swept up as rubbish. Hard to know how that happened, but it mightn't have been deliberate because the caches still had everything in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

7 caches that I found were lifted here recently in the Youkay in a fairly built up aree.

I think some people take issue with the fact that there are lots of geocaching 'trails' now with 10 or more caches packed together by one person and that person could be seen as monopolising the "caching space". Maybe the geocaching crowd should set a limit to how many caches a single user can dump in the one area

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

There is a limit on how close a cache can be to another
    But the series caches can be quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Vaperus wrote: »
    There is a limit on how close a cache can be to another
    But the series caches can be quite good

There is but even the owner says if he had another chance he'd make the limit 1 mile.

Some people like the series - I enjoyed the series here that got robbed but maybe others don't like them. There are traditional cachers who think the series are taking the piss and every cache should be a solid ammo box only found after a long hike and a good search [I am not one of those people by the way but it could explain why caches are going missing]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Yeah I know where you are coming from, but the variation gets people involved I guess.
    Sometimes its nice to pick up some of the easy ones but its also good fun doing the long hikes or the more extreme ones.
    But it has to cater for all people. Not everybody are physically able to do the long hikes or climbing up mountains etc.
    I think some people just enjoy destroying somebody eleses fun

Advertisement