Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Go back to your Leinster thread Venjur. You're being a very bold boy

It's funny I was recently pondering what it must be like to be a Leinster supporter these days and I figured it must as boring as hell. So anytime you wish to change allegiance and get a bit of spice back in your life you are welcome to become a Connacht supporter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Listening to House of Rugby podcast earlier and they talked about Connacht potentially fielding a weakened team.....

Would they really?
    Given their parent company's current issues with numeracy, I'd imagine we're going to field a team of at least 20,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Heard a rumour over on the Leinster thread that Aki only got a 3 year central deal to keep the fans happy, in particular Connacht fans on Boards.

Not sure if there is any substance to it - but thought this was a better place to discuss it.

Not saying Aki didn’t deserve it

It’s is hugely positive PR for the IRFU after a couple of fairly s**t months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Heard a rumour over on the Leinster thread that Aki only got a 3 year central deal to keep the fans happy, in particular Connacht fans on Boards.

Not sure if there is any substance to it - but thought this was a better place to discuss it.

You’re grand cheers Venjur. We have enough delusional ramblings here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Listening to House of Rugby podcast earlier and they talked about Connacht potentially fielding a weakened team.....

Would they really?

You’d probably be better off listening to Andy Friend.

“Our Champions Cup will depend on who wins next weekend. If we get an away win, then we are very much in the hunt here, and if we don’t do that I think we might possibly have kissed goodbye to it,”

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote:
    “Our Champions Cup will depend on who wins next weekend. If we get an away win, then we are very much in the hunt here, and if we don’t do that I think we might possibly have kissed goodbye to it,â€

That's exactly how I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's exactly how I see it

I disagree. We can target 14 poins vs Gloucester/Toulouse home + disinterested Montpellier away

18/19 points (total) may have us through.
    But of course, full-team this week, yes :). Any Champions Cup game should have been played this way (unhappy not to have seen Buckley in Toulouse)

Mul, it's over
    Think Marmion is meant to be back this week? Would really strengthen bench impact.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Think Marmion is meant to be back this week? Would really strengthen bench impact.

Doubt about it, probably next..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Go back to your Leinster thread Venjur. You're being a very bold boy

It's funny I was recently pondering what it must be like to be a Leinster supporter these days and I figured it must as boring as hell. So anytime you wish to change allegiance and get a bit of spice back in your life you are welcome to become a Connacht supporter.

Nah, European finals are very exciting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Craggy Podcast mentioned all internationals who went Japan have 3 weeks off at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

Craggy Podcast mentioned all internationals who went Japan have 3 weeks off at Christmas.

if that's true it's a great opportunity to beat Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

typhoony wrote: »

The Leinster side that spanked Connacht a month ago was hardly a star studded line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

typhoony wrote: »

Have you forgotten some of the Leinster teams that have beaten us in the RDS in recent years? We made Noel Reid look good ffs ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you forgotten some of the Leinster teams that have beaten us in the RDS in recent years? We made Noel Reid look good ffs ...

I still remember some venjur Gonzaga type laughing at me when Noel Reid hit Bundee with a monster hit.

*shudders*

AND Glasgow away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

I thought they said two weeks break?

Ya I listened back. 2 weeks off for Bundee and Jack. Could see Jack start next weekend perhaps.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Not saying Aki didn’t deserve it

Shefwedfan wrote:
    It’s is hugely positive PR for the IRFU after a couple of fairly s**t months.....

If I were to be honest about it, as a Connacht fan, I don't see Bundee as being the future of Irish centres. There are many options. I am not saying Bundee will not be the best ever Irish centre. I would just like to understand who merits a central contract. I would like to understand why a central contract gets renewed, what committee makes this decision, on what criteria they base their decision, what points based system they use.

I have no idea why Bundee got a central contract. I would like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Probably because he's started the vast majority of games he's been available for since he became qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    I disagree. We can target 14 poins vs Gloucester/Toulouse home + disinterested Montpellier away

18/19 points (total) may have us through.
    But of course, full-team this week, yes :). Any Champions Cup game should have been played this way (unhappy not to have seen Buckley in Toulouse)

Toulouse win v Monty twice and they are looking at top seeding opportunity. The back to backs will decide a lot of groups

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Toulouse win v Monty twice and they are looking at top seeding opportunity.

Disagree. If they beat Montpellier twice + Gloucester home they'll be top seed. No need to send us full-team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Disagree. If they beat Montpellier twice + Gloucester home they'll be top seed. No need to send us full-team

They come to us before they play Gloucester at home.

They come to us before they play Gloucester at home.

Yes but they rather target Gloucester home the us away. Obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Yes but they rather target Gloucester home the us away. Obviously

The obvious strategy, to me anyway, would be to put as many points as possible on the board as quickly as possible.

Then, if the last game has no bearing on the seeding, consider resting players then.

Still think we can beat them if we have a full squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

If I were to be honest about it, as a Connacht fan, I don't see Bundee as being the future of Irish centres. There are many options. I am not saying Bundee will not be the best ever Irish centre. I would just like to understand who merits a central contract. I would like to understand why a central contract gets renewed, what committee makes this decision, on what criteria they base their decision, what points based system they use.

I have no idea why Bundee got a central contract. I would like to know.

If you want to grow rugby in all 4 provinces, it would make sense to give the talisman of the "4th" province a central contract.

Plus Bundee as stated has been available for nearly every international since he qualified - as opposed to Henshaw, Ringrose and Farrell.

Plus most importantly Bundee's a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hugh Lane, from the academy, has been added to the Irish 7s invitational squad for the Dubai 7s.

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-sevens-development-sides-dubai-invitational-4915516-Dec2019/

Mul, it's over
    Eoin Toolan, who was on the 42 podcast over the rugby world cup, former Irish analyst under Declan Kidney and now working with Melbourne Rebels (Fainga’as old club) on Fainga’a https://twitter.com/toolan82/status/1196720419832623104?s=21

Mul, it's over

Toulouse will not be sending a weakened team to Galway.

Saints/Leinster, Munster/Racing, Exeter and Ulster/Clermont are also in the mix for top 2 seedings.

Can only see Toulouse losing interest if they lose twice to Monty.

Toulouse will not be sending a weakened team to Galway.

Saints/Leinster, Munster/Racing, Exeter and Ulster/Clermont are also in the mix for top 2 seedings.

Can only see Toulouse losing interest if they lose twice to Monty.

24 points may be enough to be top 2, the others you quoted neutralise partly each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Eoin Toolan, who was on the 42 podcast over the rugby world cup, former Irish analyst under Declan Kidney and now working with Melbourne Rebels (Fainga’as old club) on Fainga’a https://twitter.com/toolan82/status/1196720419832623104?s=21

He has been epic for us. Even after those long layoffs with injury he just hits the ground running and is more often than not the best player on the team. I would be extremely happy if he signed on again.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    He has been epic for us. Even after those long layoffs with injury he just hits the ground running and is more often than not the best player on the team. I would be extremely happy if he signed on again.

Won't be easy, except if Farrell tells him he's Klein-like, and has a chance for RWC 2023 (will be IQ under new rules)

Mul, it's over
    24 points may be enough to be top 2, the others you quoted neutralise partly each other

If Toulouse lose once v Monty then they need 3 wins for any chance of top 2 seed.

Its possible that 2 or 3 teams with both back to back rounds. So I don't see Toulouse sending the Espoirs to Galway

If Toulouse lose once v Monty then they need 3 wins for any chance of top 2 seed.

Its possible that 2 or 3 teams with both back to back rounds. So I don't see Toulouse sending the Espoirs to Galway

I'm puting myself in the hypothesis they beat Montpellier twice
    Which is not unlikely, as they begin in Toulouse and Montpellier will be 90% desinsterested next week if they get 0 point in Toulouse

Mul, it's over
    I'm puting myself in the hypothesis they beat Montpellier twice
    Which is not unlikely, as they begin in Toulouse and Montpellier will be 90% desinsterested next week if they get 0 point in Toulouse

It's not just about the results in the group. There is 4 other groups to consider.

Toulouse will be sending a strong side to Galway.

If they have any designs on winning the HC then a QF/SF/Final in France is very much the best shot at it. Top 2 seed is also the best chance they have of getting that sequence in the knockouts. How difficult is that to understand.

It's not just about the results in the group. There is 4 other groups to consider.

Toulouse will be sending a strong side to Galway.

If they have any designs on winning the HC then a QF/SF/Final in France is very much the best shot at it. Top 2 seed is also the best chance they have of getting that sequence in the knockouts. How difficult is that to understand.

You pretend not to understand yourself.
    Top 2 is acheivable with 24-25 points. It means they could well sent a partly rotated team if they beat Montpellier twice, and rest for Gloucester home + heavy TOP14 schedule
    You might disagree, but that's a fairly solid opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Top 2 is acheivable with 24-25 points. It means they could well sent a partly rotated team if they beat Montpellier twice, and rest for Gloucester home + heavy TOP14 schedule

Lads one game at a time. If we don't one the next two games It most likely won't matter what teams we face in Jan

My point is we won't be out if we lose in Gloucester.
    It would take some circonstances but 14 points vs Glouc home + less interrested Toulouse and Montpellier are possible = 18 points = MAYBE last qualified 2nd

Mul, it's over
    My point is we won't be out if we lose in Gloucester.
    It would take some circonstances but 14 points vs Glouc home + less interrested Toulouse and Montpellier are possible = 18 points = MAYBE last qualified 2nd

Where are you getting this less interested Toulouse from though when everything points to the exact opposite happening? History of the 2018/19 season points to them rocking up pretty much full strength in R5

They were top of the group last year and sent a fully loaded team to Leinster in R5. The top14 schedule is the same as the pro14 at this time of year too.

Where are you getting this less interested Toulouse from though when everything points to the exact opposite happening? History of the 2018/19 season points to them rocking up pretty much full strength in R5

They were top of the group last year and sent a fully loaded team to Leinster in R5. The top14 schedule is the same as the pro14 at this time of year too.

Totally not comparable. Toulouse was fighting for 1st place of the group vs Leinster. They have that for granted if they beat Montpellier twice

Mul, it's over
    Totally not comparable. Toulouse was fighting for 1st place of the group vs Leinster. They have that for granted if they beat Montpellier twice

But they wont have a top seeding for granted if ar least 2 other teams are also 4 from 4 which is VERY conceivable.
    I'm not talking about topping the group but top 2 seeding for a preferable knock out sequence. Jesus are you really this clueless?

There is no evidence to suggest Toulouse will be sending a weakened 23 to Galway. NOTHING

Leinster win R3 and 4 could reach 27/28
    One of Munster/Racing/Sarries can still reach 25/26
    Exeter could win 6 from 6
    One of Ulster/Clermont Can still reach 24/25

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    No offence lads but could you please stop this mind numbing argument or take it to pm

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Our best player and it isn’t close

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Our best player and it isn’t close

Bit dramatic. I'd say hes very close to joining Bundee as our best player, with Butler, Tom Farrell and and in form Jack not too far behind

Mul, it's over
    According to Linley Mackenzie in Irish Times this morning, hoping for Marmion & TOH to be back for interpros, McKeon resumed training this week and will be available for selection from next week on.

Was there any update on SOB since he went off against Leinster?

Mul, it's over
    Was there any update on SOB since he went off against Leinster?

Out until February was the timeline given I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    SOB has no luck. He's certainly in the T.O.D level with injuries. Same with Gallagher, they can't catch a break.

But they wont have a top seeding for granted if ar least 2 other teams are also 4 from 4 which is VERY conceivable.
    I'm not talking about topping the group but top 2 seeding for a preferable knock out sequence. Jesus are you really this clueless?

You're kidding, right? You don't see the difference between interest in toping a group (and if not, risking elimination) and the interst of, maybe being top2 seed, which could very well happen for Toulouse WITHOUT beating Connacht?

There is no evidence to suggest Toulouse will be sending a weakened 23 to Galway. NOTHING

Leinster win R3 and 4 could reach 27/28
    One of Munster/Racing/Sarries can still reach 25/26
    Exeter could win 6 from 6
    One of Ulster/Clermont Can still reach 24/25

You can propose your optimistic calculations for all the other pool opponents, it won't happen that way. Toulouse may well be Top2 with 24/25 points. And Toulouse won't go 100% full strenght in Galway IMO

And Toulouse won't go 100% full strenght in Galway IMO

Lads, this is a circular argument and neither of you is winning, but you're clogging up the thread just repeating yourselves. Take it to PM please if you want to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

In case anyone knows any leads to help out John Porch

https://twitter.com/JohnPorch_/status/1202343244560044035
    John Porch wrote:
    @ConnachtClan
    My partner is moving over at the end of December, she is looking for a job as a Pharmaceutical rep. I was wondering if you were able to get this out with-in the clan in the hope that someone has a contact within the pharmaceutical field that could potentially help🙌🏽

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement