Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get insurance..

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I'm 47 years old and I have a 20 year old subaru impreza. I have my own policy with 30 years no claims or convictions. I have a policy on a jeep and named driver on my wife's car for 15 years. But want to start a new policy but I can't find a company in the country that will insure me.. Only in Ireland.. Can anyone suggest anything..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Insist on letters of refusal. Theres a body you can take it up with. Cant remember who. But they'll tell someone refusing you, to quote you. You might not like the quote either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

You need 3 letters of decline, to go to the insurance ombudsman I think, they will quote you, however these quotes are usually so high that people don’t bother. At 20 years old is it eligible for a classic policy? Some insurers will do it at 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bunch of frauds.
    There should be a law that if a car is deemed roadworthy with a valid nct,insurance companies should be forced to offer a quote.
    They can pick and choose as they like and it’s fcukin annoying.
    Try allianz op

• Registered Users Posts: 7 derrycolins10

Yes I got one for 2700 euro.. At 47 with no claims or convictions for 30 years.. What a joke..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You need 3 letters of decline, to go to the insurance ombudsman I think, they will quote you, however these quotes are usually so high that people don’t bother. At 20 years old is it eligible for a classic policy? Some insurers will do it at 20 years.

Declined cases committee is where you need to go.

p.s. Is it a high performance Subaru OP? It might qualify for a classic policy? Try Carole Nash and First Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bunch of frauds.
    There should be a law that if a car is deemed roadworthy with a valid nct,insurance companies should be forced to offer a quote.
    Try allianz op

I don't agree. If Insurers won't offer a quote it means they aren't interested in the risk.

If you don't want someone's business (in any area of commerce) you have no obligation to go against your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I don't agree. If Insurers won't offer a quote it means they aren't interested in the risk.

If you don't want someone's business (in any area of commerce) you have no obligation to go against your wishes.

Absolutely Henry. The only issue here from the consumer side is that this product is mandatory. Which makes it unusual as an area of commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I disagree, there aren't many areas of business where need is legally mandatory. There should be much clearer and transparent levels in insurance it's an entirely black box system yet still is legally required for driving anything on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Looked into classic car insurance myself a few years ago. Couple of potential stumbling blocks are that it might only be available if you've already got insurance on another car, or that it only covers cars that do no more than about 5,000 miles per year. Presume both conditions are to ensure it's used for genuine classic "hobby" cars, rather than by somebody who just happens to have an old car as their main vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Ask your insurance company to mirror your NCB on the Impreza. Quote devil did that for me years ago no bother.
    Failing that, get a multicar policy or go and have a chat with a good broker.
    I completely agree with you, insurance in this country is an absolute joke.
    I've a 97 Prelude insured with Autoline up North, but they changed their age limit on Japanese made cars to 25+ years for new customers.
    Madness in this day and age.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Ask your insurance company to mirror your NCB on the Impreza. Quote devil did that for me years ago no bother.
    Failing that, get a multicar policy or go and have a chat with a good broker.
    I completely agree with you, insurance in this country is an absolute joke.
    I've a 97 Prelude insured with Autoline up North, but they changed their age limit on Japanese made cars to 25+ years for new customers.
    Madness in this day and age.
    Best of luck.

That'd be an ideal solution, but it's unlikely happen imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Bunch of frauds.
    Try allianz op

There is, the declined cases agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 derrycolins10

Hi All I manged to get insurance today.. Its all down the good people at insuremyvan and coverinaclick. Ie they got me on the road..they were great.. Thanks for all the help

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't use them myself but I've sent other people to insuremyvan for awkward cases - most recently policy mirroring for a 13 year old 'future classic' weekend car against the main policy on a daily driver 192 - and they've managed to pull something out of the bag. And none actually involved vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Insist on letters of refusal. Theres a body you can take it up with. Cant remember who. But they'll tell someone refusing you, to quote you. You might not like the quote either.

It doesn't help they don't send them out. A lot of places won't insure me in general because I don't have 3 years NCB. Those that would insure me wouldn't give me a quote on a 300hp Leon Cupra. I asked for the letters but only got 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi All I manged to get insurance today.. Its all down the good people at insuremyvan and coverinaclick. Ie they got me on the road..they were great.. Thanks for all the help
    Do share how much for when the next guy needs help.

Advertisement