Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running synergy to use same mouse and keyboard with multiple machines

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Anyone using Synergy - http://synergy-foss.org/ for using multiple monitors/computers with 1 keyboard and mouse

I have set this up on my 2 machines - 1 as the main controlling machine that has the mouse and keyboard attached (the server) and the other as the client machine

I have started Synergy appliation on both
    When client machine tries to make connection to the server machine i getting the following errors

Warning: Failed to connect to server: Server refusted client with our name

Im tying this using both the physical machine name of the server/main machine in the Name of server text box and also using the server machine ip address but both ways is giving me the same result

The client machine is polling the server machine but server machine doesnt seem to be accpeting the calls

What am i doing wrong?
    Looking at the help/faq doesnt seem to be anything detailled regading this save using the ip address instead of the machine name

My server machine is English Win 7 64 bit OS so i installing 1.4.7 Beta:64-bit of Synergy on that machine

My client machine is English Win 7 32 bit OS so i installing the 1.4.7 Beta: 32-bit version on that machine

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Are there other freeware utiliteis like this i could use instead?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Use this all the time, have been for a couple years. It's amazing kit

I had a hassle free setup, so I can't really help, But I'd recommend trying to resolve it rather than look for another application

Try a reboot. Also, try a 32bit version on your 64bit machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CheekyChops

Thanks Tallon
    I shut down and restarted both machines and restarted synergy on both of them but same thing is happening

Client machine is saying that

Warning: Failed to connect to server: Server refused client with our name

Server machine is saying

Unrecognised Client Name <machine name>; Check server config

I dont even know where to go or how to go about Checking server config -

Any ideas?

I havent tried putting on 32 bit Synergy on 64 bit Server machine - I will try that too and see how that goes

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Unrecognised Client Name <machine name>; Check server config

I dont even know where to go or how to go about Checking server config -

Any ideas?

Did you follow the instructions to set up the server and client(s)?

No firewall blocking Synergy?

Rather than the computer names you can also use the respective IP addresses (requires static IP).

Thanks for the reply and information
    With the Windows 1.4.7 beta version installed i wasnt getting anything like the dialogs as described in http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/running.html
    I removed Windows 1.4.7 beta version version and installed Windows 1.3.8 Stable 32 bit version on both machine i want to use as server machine and the same version on the client machine

I tried following the steps for windows users in http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/running.html in section as follows

Windows
    On Windows run synergy by double clicking on the synergy file. This brings up a dialog. Configure the server:
    •Click the Share this computer's keyboard and mouse (server) radio button
    •Click the Screens & Links Configure... button
    •Click the + button to add the server to the Screens list ◦Enter the name of server (the computer's name is the recommended name)
    ◦Optionally enter other names the server is known by
    ◦Click OK

•Use the + button to add your other computers ◦Using a computer's name as its screen name is recommended
    ◦Choose desired screen options on the Add Screen dialog

•Use the controls under Links to link screens together ◦Click (once) on the server's name in the Screens list
    ◦Choose the screen to the left of the server; use --- if there is no screen to the left of the server
    ◦Choose the screens to the right, above and below the server
    ◦Repeat the above steps for all the other screens

•Click OK to close the Screens & Links dialog
    •Use Options... to set desired options
    •If the server's screen name is not the server's computer name: ◦Click Advanced...
    ◦Enter the server's screen name next to Screen Name
    ◦Click OK

Now click Test. The server will start and you'll see a console window with log messages telling you about synergy's progress. If an error occurs you'll get one or more dialog boxes telling you what the errors are; read the errors to determine the problem then correct them and try Test again. See Step 5 for typical errors.

and

Windows
    On Windows run synergy by double clicking on the synergy file. This brings up a dialog. Configure the client:
    •Click the Use another computer's shared keyboard and mouse (client) radio button
    •Enter the server's computer name next to Other Computer's Host Name◦This is not the server's screen name, unless you made that the server's host name as recommended

•If the client's screen name is not the client's computer name: ◦Click Advanced...
    ◦Enter the client's screen name next to Screen Name
    ◦Click OK

Now click Test.

But no luck = its not working for me

When i started synergy for the first time i got message about firewall - wondow security alert message and i went with default option to allow access in work environment. Im running English Windows 7 Enterprise on both machine

When i start synergy on the Server machine now and click Start i get alert saying

Failed to save autostart configuration: Access is denied

I selected option to have Synergy started eacah time i start the machine via the Autostart button and resulting dialog from the synergy Version 1.3.8 dialog. I set this on Machine A - the server machine. THis could be reason for the above error but i cant get back into this dialog now to switch this option off as i get the same error when i click on the AUtostart... button

Im making a meal of this - I admit im not the sharepest tool in the box - techie wise related

I just want to have synergy running on 2 machines - Machine A and Machine B
    I want to be able to use the keyboard and mouse connected to Machine A on both Machine A and Machine B

I know i probably need to remove this and re-install onto both machine but can anyone give me please basic - dummies guide step by step insturctions to to setup and configure this in terms of what options i need to be selecting and setting in each of the dialogs in the synergy configuration on both synergy installs on Machine A and Machine B to get this up and running

Thanks
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Have you tried it with fixed IP addresses?

First login to you router and find out the DHCP pool settings (eircom default, IIRC, 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100) then assign fixed IP addresses to the 2 computers outside the IP pool, e.g. 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 to avoid any IP conflicts

subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254
    primary DNS 192.168.1.254
    secondary DNS: leave empty

Note: these are the settings to be used with an eircom router.

Now use the IP addresses instead of the computer names with Synergy.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Someone referred me to an company developed tool and i using that now

Thanks though for all the help and advise and suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1 icemachine79

This is one of the most worthless software packages I've ever had the misfortune of using. DON'T waste your time on Synergy. There's a VERY good reason it's free.

Advertisement