Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPs ignoring flu/covid symptoms, any way to complain?

Options
  • 14-03-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if there is an official channel to file a complain for GP?

I already herds 3 stories for friends when GPs panicking when they hear about coughs and just say “stay at home, don’t come over” (one case was about 3m old kid). They don’t follow up, don’t try to check if there are other symptoms, just simply panicking and pretty much stop conversation.
    The last case - girl has very strong cough, difficulty breathing and her GP said “stay home, drink liquids”. Not even trying to diagnose her, or send someone to test her. I completely get why they ask tot to come to GP practice though, no questions here.
    Reading stories around the world how doctors sacrifice their lifes in a fight with covid-19 this behaviour seems super unprofessional.

Another depressing story - GP of our neighbours was spreading completely unscientific BS, that is you have covid-19 by the time you get fever 50% of lungs have fibrosis 🀯 I think HSE should revoke his license for saying such BS, been unprofessional and spreading panic at critical times.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

GP's are being advised by the health authorities not to allow people with flu like or upper respiratory symptoms into the surgeries. They are advised to asses over the phone and advise people to stay at home and treat like any viral infection unless very severe symptoms that may need hospitalisation.
    Most people witht viral infections including the Corvid19 do not need to see a Doctor and will get better with rest, fluids and symptom treatment with paracetamol etc.
    If any one has flu like symptoms at the moment the advice is do NOT go to your GP or hospital but to phone for advice and treat at home unless severe.
    Rob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Please see the HSE official advice here.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

RobFowl wrote: »
    GP's are being advised by the health authorities not to allow people with flu like or upper respiratory symptoms into the surgeries. They are advised to asses over the phone and advise people to stay at home and treat like any viral infection unless very severe symptoms that may need hospitalisation.
    Most people witht viral infections including the Corvid19 do not need to see a Doctor and will get better with rest, fluids and symptom treatment with paracetamol etc.
    If any one has flu like symptoms at the moment the advice is do NOT go to your GP or hospital but to phone for advice and treat at home unless severe.
    Rob

Thanks a lot Rob for very detailed answer.
    As I mentioned I completely understand the reasons not to come over to GP practice.
    However the last case is pretty severe cough, fever, pain in chest (front and back) and short breath. I’m not suggesting that this woman has covid case but she may need to see a doctor and she just refused.

Thanks a lot for the link, I read info there and it seems like if there is a phone complaint with fever and cough some tests should be carried out.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/algorithms/COVID-19%20Risk%20Assessment%20and%20Management%20of%20patients%20who%20phone%20v3.0.pdf

Ans that also doesn’t explain nonsense another GP sent over to our neighbour re lung fibrosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

But surely GPs should still test even for mild symptoms? They may be mild for you or me but fatal for someone else?
    I could not self isolate from work without having an actual diagnosis of the virus.
    And people waking up with symptoms today will have no contact with their GP till Monday at the earliest as Med doc are saying they will not be testing.
    This is leaving a lot of people at risk to exposing others.
    I think there should be a dedicated service to testing 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

The patient can contact the HSE Coronavirus Helpline on 1850 24 1850

• Advertisement

Seemingly issues with people not being able to get through to that number. And only available 10 -5 today. Nothing on a Sunday.
    But announcement made for a new system coming into effect on Monday through GPs so hopefully people can wait till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is why the number of cases is almost certainly more than 90

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    However the last case is pretty severe cough, fever, pain in chest (front and back) and short breath. I’m not suggesting that this woman has covid case but she may need to see a doctor and she just refused.

That sounds like a 112 / 999 call would be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Repeat

You were lucky to get through to your GP. I tried all day Friday and only got engaged. The advice is rubbish. They need to set up more phone lines immediately and staff them with dedicated medical people. I'm sure a nurse or trained technician can handle phone referrals in an emergency like this. Time to loosen the regulations and immunise them from lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

GaGa21 wrote: »
    But surely GPs should still test even for mild symptoms? They may be mild for you or me but fatal for someone else?
    I could not self isolate from work without having an actual diagnosis of the virus.
    And people waking up with symptoms today will have no contact with their GP till Monday at the earliest as Med doc are saying they will not be testing.

Testing is only being liberalised from Monday to include anyone with symptoms. Upto now, testing was only done by calling Public Health and on people who had symptoms AND came back from an affected area abroad OR were in contact with a confirmed case OR were in a hospital treating cases. The Public Health phone lines have been jammed all week. Spent 45 minutes on hold myself on Wednesday evening before giving up.

Why could you not self isolate without a diagnosis, do you mind me asking? The reality is that many people have been asked to do this all week given the testing set-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the link, I read info there and it seems like if there is a phone complaint with fever and cough some tests should be carried out.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/algorithms/COVID-19%20Risk%20Assessment%20and%20Management%20of%20patients%20who%20phone%20v3.0.pdf

This algorithm was released at about 6pm on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

It could very well become a 7 day service soon, however I know that test results are taking 48 hours to come back. The advice is simple. If you develop symptoms, self isolate, contact your GP from tomorrow and they will organise testing through Public Health. If its a thing that you need urgent medical treatment e.g. severe shortness of breath, significant co morbidities, chest pain AMONG OTHERS then you need to dial 112/999 or attend A&E. HOWEVER, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS NOT ROCK UP TO A&E UNANNOUNCED! There's already significant difficulties in A&E at the moment, you don't want them restricted by having to isolate a room full of patients/health care staff. If they know you're coming, they can prepare for it.

I have also heard anecdotal evidence regarding Lung Fibrosis. Haven't seen proper evidence about it tho. I'd go easy on the GP tho, we're all under serious pressure. I've had to self isolate for what feels like flu, I really want to be on the front line to help my colleagues but i have to wait for testing.

Not my thread, was just giving my opinion. I would never show up to A&E or even a doctor's surgery unannounced.

But I can understand the public's concern. Though I have 2 out of three of the main symptoms, when my GP called me back, they did not put forward testing as I have not travelled or been in contact with someone who is positive. They are still not considering community transmission or maybe just those with severe symptoms?

Yet when I was listening to a GP answer callers questions on the radio this morning, someone with less or similar symptoms was told they would definitely need to be tested.

I know it is at the GPs discretion if testing is needed but surely any of the listed symptoms should require testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Remember - if your GP gets contaminated, that's him/her out of action for two weeks ....with their services out of reach to other patients

just do what others say and contact the HSE helpline or website

fryup wrote:
    just do what others say and contact the HSE helpline or website

People can phone their GP, as advised by HSE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I saw that some GPs are charging €45 for phonecalls? How moral is this during a national crisis? Especially when people are being directed to contact their GPs first before they can contact emergency services or HSE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

The advice is to self isolate if you have symptoms. This has been re-iterated by the health service and the government. So you can, and you must.
    fryup wrote: »
    Remember - if your GP gets contaminated, that's him/her out of action for two weeks ....with their services out of reach to other patients

Very important to remember. Particularly as people are going to continue to have other illnesses. The regular problems that a GP deals with don't go away because of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I saw that some GPs are charging €45 for phonecalls? How moral is this during a national crisis? Especially when people are being directed to contact their GPs first before they can contact emergency services or HSE etc.

A GP is a small business and given surgeries have been advised to severely limit the number of patients they are seeing, a GP with mostly private patients was looking at their practice income effectively being reduced to zero, just like the pubs and restaurants. This is income that is needed to pay staff, rent, utilities (including phones), buy and maintain equipment, etc. In fact, if the worldwide emergency continues for months (which it will), surgeries are going to have make significant investments in new equipment and software to facilitate video consultations, remote working etc.

The government has recognised this and is now paying GPs €30 for every phone consultation relating to Covid-19. This was only announced in the last couple of days and the arrangement has not even been finalised yet. Note that this represents a much lower fee than what would normally be charged for a private consultation, and a phone consultation is often more challenging.

The answer to a lot of the (perfectly reasonable) “why is/isn’t such and such happening” questions here is “because our knowledge of this pandemic and the guidelines on how to respond to it are changing on a daily basis.” GPs, like everyone else, are scrambling to keep up. We are also worried about our staff and family members. Bear in mind that a lot of GPs are over 55 and are in fact in an at-risk group themselves because of this.

We know you’re scared. We’re trying as hard as we can. Please be patient and help us help you. I doubt very much that any doctor is using this as an opportunity to gouge or go off on the doss for a few weeks.

Advertisement