Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 & newborn

• 11-03-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm due next week and have to say I'm not thrilled I'll be giving birth in the middle of a pandemic. :/ Are any other soon to be mums/new mums feeling a bit more uneasy about the safety of a newborn at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m due next week as well and not super worried. We’ll be limiting visitors if needed and it will be immediate family only anyway. I would assume they have enough cop on to not visit if it’s risky. Will be breastfeeding as well and limited analysis has shown BM has antibodies to fight it. More worried about my husband coming into contact with someone and having to self isolate and not be able to be at the birth.

Due the 25th and anxious. My husband is also a healthcare professional in critical care, so I'm worried about him too. Apart from anything else he's likely to be very busy in work for the first few months after the birth. Having just moved to a new area and knowing I'll be alone a great deal of the time with a newborn in the middle of a pandemic is not how I hoped to start family life, but there's no point in getting too upset about it when all we can do is just get on with it.

All we can do is follow the advice and wait for the worst to pass. I've stocked up on nappies of various sizes, cleaning fluids, formula (I plan to BF, but just in case I get ill myself I wanted to make sure there was something in reserve), wipes, rubbish bags, medications and dry goods, and other hygiene things like washing detergent and toiletries. I'm basically resigned to being at home for the next few months.

It's not ideal, but I'm trying not to let the anxiety spoil what should be a special time. We'll all cope as best we can, it's all we really can do. Best of luck to you, I hope everything works out okay - I'm sure it will. Try stay optimistic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

An already mammy here! Vistors is the thing I'd be most worried about, limit as much as possible. It can be a good idea to have the baby in a sling if visitors are over or when you are out and about to minimise unwanted touching. Breastfeeding will ensure baby gets your antibodies on an ongoing basis, more of an advantage now than usual. And remember no deaths to date for small children so try not to worry x

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

It's mainly the few days in the hospital I'm worried about. Hospitals are petrie dishes at the best of times. Once we get home I'm happy to board up the doors and windows and not let anyone come near 😄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

shesty wrote: »
    Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.

Would love if this was the policy all the time, sounds great!

Best of luck to all you ladies having babies soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I'm due tomorrow, giving birth at the Coombe as well, there are signs everywhere saying that only designated birth partners are allowed or parents of babies in NICU.

I had an appointment on Tuesday and the first thing they asked when checking is if I had visited or been in contact with people who have been in a list of countries for the past 2 weeks. Also seem to be getting texts prior to appointments to ring a certain number of displaying symptoms instead of going in.

I'm hoping to have a quick discharge (everything going well) anyway. With my second I was told I could go after 4 hours if everything was ok, but he was born in the evening so had to spend the night and was allowed go home first thing in the morning after doctors rounds... Hoping for something similar.
    Apart from that I will be breastfeeding which gives some peace of mind.

In laws are Italian and Spanish so unfortunately they won't be able to visit anymore after baby's arrival for the time being...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

All hospitals have strict visitor restrictions and the only person who will be able to visit you will be your partner so I'm not too worried about there being a risk of infection on the post natal ward.

Up to you then to decide whether you're happy for people to visit at home or not.

I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Slight worry that if the situation escalates rapidly then even birth partners wont be admitted to delivery suites. Due in 5 weeks so who knows what the situation will be then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

It is definitely concerning 😞 I'll be giving birth in Limerick Maternity and very happy that they have restricted visitors to just the birthing partner.

I'm going to ask at my next appointment whether I can avail of the early transfer home programme as want to spend as little time as possible in the hospital. After we come home will definitely be limiting visitors to immediate family only (if at all). I think we'll try and keep the birth as quiet as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

raheny red wrote: »

So after having your baby and once you are moved to a ward/room postnatally you have zero support from your partner?!?! That’s gonna be so hard.

raheny red wrote: »

Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.

Sprites wrote: »
    Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.

It’s going to be very tough and maybe it’s an incentive to leave the hospital quicker than you would usually. I know for my last two pregnancies I used to be counting the mins until hubby came in so u could have a rest. New babies don’t sleep all that much.

Holles st seems to allow the partner/birth parent postnatally.
    http://www.nmh.ie/news.181.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No dads even for the NICU babies in the Rotunda. So hard on parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Rotunda is the only one banning partners. It’s draconian and completely over the top. If partners have no symptoms of illness, surely they should be allowed to stay provided they adapt social distancing with staff members and other parents. If rotunda really want to be careful then give fathers a mask to wear also.

Studies have shown how important skin to skin contact with fathers is in the first few days. I really hope the rotunda see sense on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Mother of a 13 day old here and I am restricting all visitors outside of our immediate families and aren’t taking the baby anywhere. It’s a pity as I thought I’d be spending my maternity leave walking to local coffee shops, mommy and baby groups, baby swim lessons etc.

paulers06 wrote: »
    Mother of a 13 day old here and I am restricting all visitors outside of our immediate families and aren’t taking the baby anywhere. It’s a pity as I thought I’d be spending my maternity leave walking to local coffee shops, mommy and baby groups, baby swim lessons etc.

You are doing the right thing to protect yourselves it does feel like an awful time to be giving birth the excitement of being due is definitely being overshadowed with fear.. Like that was so excited to be going to baby groups, coffee shops and swimming instead we need to be in isolation (beats the alternative I know!)

Newborn baby diagnosed in the UK, they are unsure whether passed on during the birth or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Harpon wrote: »
    Rotunda is the only one banning partners. It’s draconian and completely over the top. If partners have no symptoms of illness, surely they should be allowed to stay provided they adapt social distancing with staff members and other parents. If rotunda really want to be careful then give fathers a mask to wear also.

Studies have shown how important skin to skin contact with fathers is in the first few days. I really hope the rotunda see sense on this matter.

I'd have to disagree with you on this. Anything less is neglectful in my opinion. This virus is spread by the hands predominantly. There are no measures that can be put in place to ensure all visitors, including birth partners, will not deposit the virus on doors, stair rails, lifts, beds, chairs etc. Hospital management have a duty of care to their patients and to their staff. Can you imagine the implications if a father were to test positive having had free reign in the hospital for 4 or 5 days running? Staff would need to go into isolation and babies and mother's sharing the ward would be put at unnecessary risk.

It will be hard, especially for those having sections and first timers but it's likely to ensure most mother's proceed home very quickly and therefore staff may have more time to help out on the wards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Nickibaby* wrote:
    Newborn baby diagnosed in the UK, they are unsure whether passed on during the birth or not

Oh sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

What are our rights as pregnant women during this period?

My employer is considering short time and temporary lay offs.

I think to be put on short time, similar selection criteria To those for redundancies will apply.

For temporary lay off, it seems to me that the entire business most close down for a short period of time.

Would anyone know if this is correct?

Touchee wrote: »
    What are our rights as pregnant women during this period?

My employer is considering short time and temporary lay offs.

I think to be put on short time, similar selection criteria To those for redundancies will apply.

For temporary lay off, it seems to me that the entire business most close down for a short period of time.

Would anyone know if this is correct?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/00964f-people-who-are-laid-off-temporarily-or-put-on-to-short-time-working/

Not sure if you're correct that the entire business would have to shut down, I'm sure there are instances where business only need to place part of their workforce on temporary lay off

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/00964f-people-who-are-laid-off-temporarily-or-put-on-to-short-time-working/

Not sure if you're correct that the entire business would have to shut down, I'm sure there are instances where business only need to place part of their workforce on temporary lay off
    I think you are right when only part of the workforce is needed they can put a certain number of staff on short time working etc due to 'business needs' they would have to be transparent on their criteria for selection though and any change to working hours for a pregnant person I'm sure they will be very cautious about for fear of discrimination claims..

Government has asked employers to pay employees affected at least €203 per week where they have to cease trading https://www.thesun.ie/news/5209276/coronavirus-in-ireland-government-employers-pay-workers-e203/

https://rise.articulate.com/share/j_A9M2VrxvdeZgDiCbBTEw0lCvNoeTMX#/

Good presentation from National Maternity Hospital

I've been told by my hospital that not even partners can visit the maternity ward now. They can be present for active labour, that's it. Here's hoping for a complication free labour and a speedy discharge. Strange times indeed.

• Advertisement

Uptheduff wrote: »
    I've been told by my hospital that not even partners can visit the maternity ward now. They can be present for active labour, that's it. Here's hoping for a complication free labour and a speedy discharge. Strange times indeed.

Which hospital are you attending? I'm in a group ON Facebook where a lady who is 37 weeks has been told all antenatal clinic appointments are cancelled and she should call ahead and present at A&E when her labour starts. She will be gowned up and sent up to the maternity suite. No birth partner will be permitted.

I've been fairly calm about the situation up to this but at 35 +5 myself I'm starting to worry now that my husband wont be allowed to accompany me during delivery.

Which hospital are you attending? I'm in a group ON Facebook where a lady who is 37 weeks has been told all antenatal clinic appointments are cancelled and she should call ahead and present at A&E when her labour starts. She will be gowned up and sent up to the maternity suite. No birth partner will be permitted.

I've been fairly calm about the situation up to this but at 35 +5 myself I'm starting to worry now that my husband wont be allowed to accompany me during delivery.

Which hospital is this.
    I cannot imagine not having a birth partner during labour. That’s v unfair.

Blingy wrote: »
    Which hospital is this.

Castlebar.

If the situation keeps escalating with more cases being diagnosed every day then I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect in hospitals

I'm attending Sligo university hospital. I'm so thankful my husband can be with me during labour but the few days on the maternity ward with only phonecalls will be hard, particularly for him. Imagine being kept away from your newborn for its first few days of life :(

Restrictions regarding visitors are posted here and updated regularly:

https://www2.hse.ie/services/hospital-service-disruptions/hospital-service-disruptions-covid19.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Which hospital is this.

Absolutely agree. Surely they could just gone up with masks and gloves or something? Not due till end of August so please God the rules will be different

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Surely they could just gone up with masks and gloves or something? Not due till end of August so please God the rules will be different

In some ways I'm glad they've imposed this measure. I was previously worried about all the visitors to the ward with babies who still don't have a developed immune system. It's very tough on dad's and I'm going to find it hard as a first time mum not being able to share the first few days of our babies life with my husband but I feel it's a sensible measure considering the current situation.

In some ways I'm glad they've imposed this measure. I was previously worried about all the visitors to the ward with babies who still don't have a developed immune system. It's very tough on dad's and I'm going to find it hard as a first time mum not being able to share the first few days of our babies life with my husband but I feel it's a sensible measure considering the current situation.

I am taking about the situation that previous poster mentioned in Castlebar!!
    I don’t even want to think about not having my husband there for the birth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm due in 9 weeks and my worries so far include:

1. Contracting the disease and my baby/ I suffering the consequences of the side effects e.g. fever or pneumonia

2. Giving birth in a crowded hospital where there is a risk of transmission.

3. My parents, who are sitting out the pandemic in Spain, not being able to travel home for the birth.

4. OH, who is an asthmatic, contracting it.

Slightly less serious concerns:

5. Not having all the baby stuff together in time - but being afraid to go shopping.

6. Having to be rude to prospective visitors for the first few weeks after birth so that we can protect our daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

This has worried me too. I'm on baby no. 4 and I really don't know how I'd get through the labour without my husband's support. Just having your partner there beside you is such a comfort. I don't mind if he has to leave after that. I really hope this isn't the way it's going to go.

venusdoom wrote: »
    This has worried me too. I'm on baby no. 4 and I really don't know how I'd get through the labour without my husband's support. Just having your partner there beside you is such a comfort. I really hope this isn't the way it's going to go.

I am the same. Baby number 3 and I cannot imagine not having my partner there with me. It’s fairly tough going even with your partner there so imagine with out him/her there.

• Advertisement

First time mom & just unimaginable if my husband can't be there for the birth. We started this journey together after all, the thought makes me very sad. I'm not dwelling on it though and hope that won't be the case. I suppose we have the rest of our lives to spend together fingers crossed so gonna try not focus on a few days.

I am glad they are restricting visitors though.

What is everyone thinking in relation to visitors? Allow grandparents or none at all?

I am the same. Baby number 3 and I cannot imagine not having my partner there with me. It’s fairly tough going even with your partner there so imagine with out him/her there.

Myself and my husband were discussing this at weekend. He said.....it could end up being a home birth so!!!!!

I really don’t even want think about not being with me. 3rd baby here also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm due in 9 weeks and my worries so far include:

1. Contracting the disease and my baby/ I suffering the consequences of the side effects e.g. fever or pneumonia

2. Giving birth in a crowded hospital where there is a risk of transmission.

3. My parents, who are sitting out the pandemic in Spain, not being able to travel home for the birth.

4. OH, who is an asthmatic, contracting it.

Slightly less serious concerns:

5. Not having all the baby stuff together in time - but being afraid to go shopping.

6. Having to be rude to prospective visitors for the first few weeks after birth so that we can protect our daughter.

It’s not nice to have this extra thing to worry about on top of normal pregnancy stuff. All evidence seems to point towards pregnant women being no worse affected than women of similar age in the general population. There’s been no reports of any newborns having any serious complications after so chances are very small that anything would happen.
    Hopefully your folks are ok in Spain. Most likely even if they were in the country they wouldn’t be with you anyway. It’s a shame but in the scheme of things it’s a tiny portion of their new grandchild’s life that will pass in a blur anyway. When we get out the other side of it, they’ll have a healthy baby to dote on and your child will have healthy grandparents.
    As for visitors, no one will be offended given the circumstances.
    Visiting restrictions are there to keep mothers and babies safe. It will make for a crappy way to start out but it’s for the greater good and will somewhat take away the risks of the crowded hospital situation. At least we can prepare ourselves mentally for potentially not having partners in hospital and hopefully also they’ll be quick to release us after births.
    Also if you’re worried about getting bits on for the baby, start ordering online. Most shops will deliver to you.
    All of your concerns are reasonable but try not too consumed by them. Focus on the things you can do - meditation / breathing for relaxation, ordering stuff online and preparing the hospital bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

kandr10 wrote: »
    It’s not nice to have this extra thing to worry about on top of normal pregnancy stuff. All evidence seems to point towards pregnant women being no worse affected than women of similar age in the general population. There’s been no reports of any newborns having any serious complications after so chances are very small that anything would happen.
    Hopefully your folks are ok in Spain. Most likely even if they were in the country they wouldn’t be with you anyway. It’s a shame but in the scheme of things it’s a tiny portion of their new grandchild’s life that will pass in a blur anyway. When we get out the other side of it, they’ll have a healthy baby to dote on and your child will have healthy grandparents.
    As for visitors, no one will be offended given the circumstances.
    Visiting restrictions are there to keep mothers and babies safe. It will make for a crappy way to start out but it’s for the greater good and will somewhat take away the risks of the crowded hospital situation. At least we can prepare ourselves mentally for potentially not having partners in hospital and hopefully also they’ll be quick to release us after births.
    Also if you’re worried about getting bits on for the baby, start ordering online. Most shops will deliver to you.
    All of your concerns are reasonable but try not too consumed by them. Focus on the things you can do - meditation / breathing for relaxation, ordering stuff online and preparing the hospital bags etc.

Thank you :) I'm lucky that I can work from home and so have that to occupy me. Keeping in touch with the folks several times a day so this helps.

It is beginning to look like a possibility that we won't be able to bring partners with us. Although this saddens me, I know that any decisions made are for the best and I would rather go it alone (albeit it will be scary) than face a situation where mothers and babies are exposed to harm. It will be sad and scary without OH but I have every faith in our midwives and other medical professionals. Can only hope for a straightforward birth so that we can come home as soon as possible I guess!

I read that the demand for home births has surged also, which would make sense in the current climate. I'd still be in two minds about that one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Holles st seems to allow the partner/birth parent postnatally.
    http://www.nmh.ie/news.181.html

Holles street just called me re my appointment next week. I asked them about this and they said dad's only for birth but not after. I'm having a csection so this has me pretty terrified as I remember what it was like after my last section even with him there. Baby due 1st week of June so hoping things will have calmed by then but need to prepare myself mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

jaja321 wrote:
    Holles street just called me re my appointment next week. I asked them about this and they said dad's only for birth but not after. I'm having a csection so this has me pretty terrified as I remember what it was like after my last section even with him there. Baby due 1st week of June so hoping things will have calmed by then but need to prepare myself mentally.

If it comes to that, just keep ringing the bell for the midwife when you need help. If you're in a ward with others, maybe another mam can lift the baby for you to feed in the immediate aftermath. You're right to prepare yourself mentally for the worst case scenario. I'm not due til September so I feel hopeful that things may be a bit more relaxed by then but it's impossible to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Cash_Q wrote: »
    If it comes to that, just keep ringing the bell for the midwife when you need help. If you're in a ward with others, maybe another mam can lift the baby for you to feed in the immediate aftermath. You're right to prepare yourself mentally for the worst case scenario. I'm not due til September so I feel hopeful that things may be a bit more relaxed by then but it's impossible to predict.

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

jaja321 wrote: »

I'm the same but in a way, kind of thankful I know what to expect. Knowing now is way better than it being a sudden thing in the run up to it. This whole situation is so so so crap for everyone. Just trying to stay positive and stay out of people's way.

Just a heads up for those close to their date, I'm in the hospital now and they are not allowing air & gas because of Corona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Just a heads up for those close to their date, I'm in the hospital now and they are not allowing air & gas because of Corona.

Why won't they allow gas and air? As in, what is the logic behind the decision, or did they say?

• Advertisement
Advertisement