Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zulu wrote: »
    it'd all be over 70K

So even if you had no expenses at all you would still only be paying 52% at most, not 52.4%. Most landlords would have some expenses during the year. Ones with a mortgage would have the mortgage interest as an expense and likely it would be a fairly large expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm surprised the landlord hasn't tried velcro-ing a few people to the ceiling to make a few extra quid.

When you google "railway street Dublin" one of the google autocompletes is "railway street Dublin shooting"

Looked at it on google maps. Don't think I'd walk up there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Moonjet wrote: »

crazy stuff. they all look so similar, all in the same area and they all let by the same agent. I have an image in my head now with this agent running up and down the streets telling the owners plant this type of shed in your garden and I'll find you a tenant for 1000€/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So even if you had no expenses at all you would still only be paying 52% at most, not 52.4%. Most landlords would have some expenses during the year. Ones with a mortgage would have the mortgage interest as an expense and likely it would be a fairly large expense.
    tracker mortgage so feic all mortgage interest, and little expenses with the tenants currently in there (boiler service €90, management fees, thats about it).
    So my average isn't entirely off the mark (out by .4 perhaps), but it's nowhere need as low as others are making out (40%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

it'd all be over 70K

your income can't all be over 70k, the first 69,999 is under

your maximum marginal rate is 52%, but your tax rate is lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

RayCun wrote: »
    your income can't all be over 70k, the first 69,999 is under

your maximum marginal rate is 52%, but your tax rate is lower
    ???? Of course it can; we're talking about rental income.

The first 69,999 is other income (wages for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

???? Of course it can; we're talking about rental income.

The first 69,999 is other income (wages for example)

Your effective rate is much lower as you have a standard rate band and credits to come off the first 35/40k of your income.

You only pay the highest rates on earnings over certain thresholds. Nobody pays 52% on everything.

Tax affects everyone yet most people are clueless about it, should really be taught more in schools. A lot more useful than most of the sh1t you have to go through for the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Jesus can ye take the tax talk elsewhere

• Advertisement

I'm surprised the landlord hasn't tried velcro-ing a few people to the ceiling to make a few extra quid.
    Wait until he decides to hang a couple of hammocks between the bunks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

zell12 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    oB6hRep.jpg?1

Is it sad that I would be tempted to take that?

Is it sad that I would be tempted to take that?

yes, sad if you need a room that urgently you have to take it, scary if you take it because you like it...:eek::eek:

aren't there hostels around for 10 bucks a night in Dublin? would be cheaper than this and same style.
    I stayed in one the first nights I moved to Dublin for 10 bucks a night. Ok, that was 2005, probably not anymore that cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Ohhhhh I can see fights and someone getting stabbed so fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, sad if you need a room that urgently you have to take it, scary if you take it because you like it...:eek::eek:

aren't there hostels around for 10 bucks a night in Dublin? would be cheaper than this and same style.
    I stayed in one the first nights I moved to Dublin for 10 bucks a night. Ok, that was 2005, probably not anymore that cheap...

Last time I looked for a hostel in Dublin for a night at the weekend I think (IIRC) the cheapest I could find was around 30 or 40 euros. True it was a weekend night but still. Nothing is cheap in Dublin.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Last time I looked for a hostel in Dublin for a night at the weekend I think (IIRC) the cheapest I could find was around 30 or 40 euros. True it was a weekend night but still. Nothing is cheap in Dublin.

yes, checked the hostels, nothing there for 10€ anymore.

The one I was in was a dodgy place next to bus eirean station. 8 bed dorm. I think my roommates were working as prostitutes. Not working in the room though!!:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

zell12 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    oB6hRep.jpg?1

Surely this sort of nonsense is a fire risk at the least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I actually checked on booking and they were some rooms for around 12-15 euro, with breakfast included. Haven't checked the weekends rates, just next night.

I presume the breakfast is few jugs of milk and a box of cereals, still better than nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Possibly not the worst but looks like a garage converted with the big industrial light over the bed !

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/blanchardstown/parnell-estate-blanchardstown-dublin-1895792/

Possibly not the worst but looks like a garage converted with the big industrial light over the bed !

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/blanchardstown/parnell-estate-blanchardstown-dublin-1895792/

The price is a lot better than some of the sheds that have been posted in the last few pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Definitely not the worst for the money.

Now that is disgusting. It's an actual shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

That's like a house split in two...in fact I'm almost certain it is.

A joke for what you're getting in that area - I had a house not far from there, 3 bed, huge garden and the mortgage was only 800 a month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Are you supposed to only eat microwave meals?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Are you supposed to only eat microwave meals?

People here are far too quick to criticise. You also have the option of pot noodles as well.

Grayson wrote: »
    Now that is disgusting. It's an actual shed.

I’m seeing kennels in some of the photos on the ads for these sheds or “studios” you better hope oul Fido likes you when you’re coming through the back garden late at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Grayson wrote: »
    The price is a lot better than some of the sheds that have been posted in the last few pages.

Key word being shed.

No one living in a first world country should be living in a shed in some strangers back garden for 1000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/christchurch/3-clarence-mangan-square-christchurch-dublin-1964280/

A 3 bedroom 42 sqm cottage for 375k. Only 2 in the photos, and they are tight enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dublin-8/19-greenville-avenue-dublin-8-dublin-1937257/

Wood panelled room - check
    Crazy retro style bathroom design - check
    carpets & damp everywhere - check check check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That bathroom eek
    On the bright side imagine all the money you could make renting out the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

fritzelly wrote: »
    That bathroom eek
    On the bright side imagine all the money you could make renting out the garage.
    I was checking for a pet iguana camouflaged against that!
    Yup, that shed is a potential goldmine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dublin-8/19-greenville-avenue-dublin-8-dublin-1937257/

Wood panelled room - check
    Crazy retro style bathroom design - check
    carpets & damp everywhere - check check check
    Seems like a bit of a bargain if you got it for that price tbh...

Thargor wrote: »
    Seems like a bit of a bargain if you got it for that price tbh...
    The fact that such a grotty house going for half a million is considered a "bargain", really shows what's wrong in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The fact that such a grotty house going for half a million is considered a "bargain", really shows what's wrong in this country.
    Location, location, location. And off-street parking, both outdoor and indoor.

The house itself is the least of that deal.

Big rooms, multiple off street parking spots, a yard with an outbuilding and a large enough garage 15 minutes walk from the Hapenny Bridge? The site on its own is worth a big chunk of the asking price.

What would you say is a fair price?

yes, it's the condition that makes it unattractive. I was wondering, is it possible to tear it down and build a new one? I know it would be madness too, costwise. but I'm just curious if DCC would allow it. Probably only if you build the exact same thing like it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Explain, what exactly does it show that's wrong with the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Graces7 wrote: »
    Love the Genus Beef poster in one of the bedrooms!

Not for vegans, that's for sure!

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Love the Genus Beef poster in one of the bedrooms!

Not for vegans, that's for sure!

saw one house that had what looked like a well wrapped body on the floor!.

Explain, what exactly does it show that's wrong with the country?
    The very fact that such a grotty house, that the best thing to do with would be to bulldoze and rebuild is priced at half a million euros. Really brings into focus the lack of affordable housing there is in this country.

Of course, the beneficiaries of these high prices are sitting pretty, while others are paying hundreds a month for a bunk bed in a shared house in the city due to the lack of affordable accommodation.
    I wonder how many bunk beds a slumlord could fit into that garage.

Graces7 wrote: »
    saw one house that had what looked like a well wrapped body on the floor!.

See

https://www.daft.ie/leitrim/houses-for-sale/dromod/dromodbeg-dromod-leitrim-1939614/

photo 8...

The very fact that such a grotty house, that the best thing to do with would be to bulldoze and rebuild is priced at half a million euros. Really brings into focus the lack of affordable housing there is in this country.

Of course, the beneficiaries of these high prices are sitting pretty, while others are paying hundreds a month for a bunk bed in a shared house in the city due to the lack of affordable accommodation.
    I wonder how many bunk beds a slumlord could fit into that garage.
    Its not even that 'grotty' though, it's just dated. Paint and new carpets would modernise most of it, a new bathroom and a few trips to Woodies and IKEA would sort the rest. Anyone handy with DIY could make a big return on their investment or have one of the nicer family homes in town for not a whole lot higher than the build cost of a place that size plus the site, you're within short walking distance of O Connels St and the IFSC / Google docks there, it's really not as bad as you're making out.

Im always watching Bray prices and its not far off them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not even that 'grotty' though, it's just dated. Paint and new carpets would modernise most of it, a new bathroom and a few trips to Woodies and IKEA would sort the rest. Anyone handy with DIY could make a big return on their investment or have one of the nicer family homes in town for not a whole lot higher than the build cost of a place that size plus the site, you're within short walking distance of O Connels St and the IFSC / Google docks there, it's really not as bad as you're making out.

Im always watching Bray prices and its not far off them tbh.

Paint won't get rid of that damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Location, location, location. And off-street parking, both outdoor and indoor.

The house itself is the least of that deal.

Dublin 8 includes Dolphins Barn amongst other gems. You really think it's a desirable location?

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    Dublin 8 includes Dolphins Barn amongst other gems. You really think it's a desirable location?
    Dolphin's Barn (which I live quite close to, as it happens :rolleyes:) is the other end of Dublin 8 from the advertised house. Do you actually know where it is? It's a very trendy, desirable location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Dolphin's Barn (which I live quite close to, as it happens :rolleyes:) is the other end of Dublin 8 from the advertised house. Do you actually know where it is? It's a very trendy, desirable location.

Do I know where it is? That's where I'm from. :rolleyes: and there's nothing trendy or desirable about it.

BBFAN wrote: »
    Do I know where it is? That's where I'm from. :rolleyes: and there's nothing trendy or desirable about it.
    Well there clearly is, if they're pitching a house which needs a lot of work at that price!

Well there clearly is, if they're pitching a house which needs a lot of work at that price!
    The asking price is just an expectation, if there's a lot of interest, buyers can outbid eachother and the price goes up and none the sellers have to drop the price until someone buys, or take it off the maket.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Paint won't get rid of that damp.
    No but running a dehumidifier and a bit of basic DIY will, then repaint, still yet to see anyone post what they think the price should be for a house that size in that location should be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement