Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

63 Up (originally 7 up!) ITV

Options
  • 01-06-2019 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

1of3 starts 4th June on ITV

Basically tv camera has followed 14 people since they were 7 every 7 years. They're 63 now.

Absolutely riviting tv.
    The children were selected to represent the range of socio-economic backgrounds in Britain at that time, with the explicit assumption that each child's social class predetermines their future. Every seven years, the director, Michael Apted, films material from those of the fourteen who choose to participate.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_(film_series)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I never made it past the second episode of this series and always wanted to return.

Do these 3 part batches provide a lot of back story to get the average viewer up to speed or do you miss a lot by having not watched them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I never made it past the second episode of this series and always wanted to return.

Do these 3 part batches provide a lot of back story to get the average viewer up to speed or do you miss a lot by having not watched them all?

Oh I thought the 1st episode hasn't shown yet.

I haven't seen it since the last 7 years ago, the whole thing is pretty much a synopsis of their lives anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Apologies, I meant I've only seen as far as 14 up and always planned on viewing the rest of them to get up to date.

I was just wondering if the latter years are worth jumping straight into and how much time do they devote to old material to set up the new stuff.

Is the appeal of the shows not watching them over a very long period of time.

Apologies, I meant I've only seen as far as 14 up and always planned on viewing the rest of them to get up to date.

I was just wondering if the latter years are worth jumping straight into and how much time do they devote to old material to set up the new stuff.

Is the appeal of the shows not watching them over a very long period of time.

I suppose these later years are going to sum up the initial experiment. I.e. did they turn out according to their 'class birthright'.

I can barely remember the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

They show clips from previous years as a lead-on for the subjects that are brought up, and also some narration as a reminder of what happened in the past. I'd say you can watch the new episodes without missing much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

There doesn't seem to be any channel airing it in ROI. It's going to be on ITV (and UTV) from tomorrow. I thought Virgin Media 1 might pick it up, like they sometimes do with certain ITV content. But no, we're going to be treated to an episode of 'This Time Next Year' instead. I miss UTV (the real one).

There doesn't seem to be any channel airing it in ROI. It's going to be on ITV (and UTV) from tomorrow. I thought Virgin Media 1 might pick it up, like they sometimes do with certain ITV content. But no, we're going to be treated to an episode of 'This Time Next Year' instead. I miss UTV (the real one).

Aghhhh just missed it. I also have virgin media but ahem... vpn solves that. Dunno if they'd do a catch up.
    Edit: Yup it's up on Itv Hub for playback now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you have Sky you need to go into the “Other Services” section to view ITV. It’s a bit of a pain as you have to watch it live (no recording).

I love this show. Such a great insight into the lives of ordinary people.

Aghhhh just missed it. I also have virgin media but ahem... vpn solves that. Dunno if they'd do a catch up.
    Edit: Yup it's up on Itv Hub for playback now.

Just as a matter of interest, are you using the ITV Hub and Chromecast? I tried signing up for it but it wouldn't let me sign up without a UK postcode and UK based debit card? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I've watched this since 28Up in 1984. It's amazing - really gets to you. A real indictment of the class system and how your life is largely mapped out for you. Sad seeing Lynn's family tonight - she's the first one to die.

If you want to catch the earlier episodes, you can get the lot on DVD for under £20.

Unusually never much of a following in Ireland. Nearly every one of my work colleagues just says "never heard of it" when I mention it.

• Advertisement

I've watched this since 28Up in 1984. It's amazing - really gets to you. A real indictment of the class system and how your life is largely mapped out for you. Sad seeing Lynn's family tonight - she's the first one to die.

If you want to catch the earlier episodes, you can get the lot on DVD for under £20.

Unusually never much of a following in Ireland. Nearly every one of my work colleagues just says "never heard of it" when I mention it.

Ya wasn't expecting her to be dead.

Hopefully we'll all see out the series!

Just as a matter of interest, are you using the ITV Hub and Chromecast? I tried signing up for it but it wouldn't let me sign up without a UK postcode and UK based debit card? Or am I missing something?

I can't remember signing up, but Google remembered my last log in from months ago! I think I would have either used a parcel motel postcode or just picked some random shop postcode from the area I was vpn'ing through!
    Dunno about the UK based debit card... I would have just used my own. I reckon they just want a UK postcode and their computers just check if it's in the UK!

I'll check my account settings and see what way I'm set up tomorrow.

I just watch it on my laptop. But I could use the cast option in the chrome browser (quality not as good). The cast symbol didn't come up in their screen.

It's on catchup on the hub.
    Some vpns might offer a free trial.

Ok so what I did was look for the area the vpn was going through and then picked the post code for the local tescos!
    In my account I cant see any credit card details.

Just saw an ad for the commentary part 7up and Me on Virgin Media 1. It's not the 3 part series but a bunch of celebrities discussing the series so far. So it may pop up soon.

Just saw an ad for the commentary part 7up and Me on Virgin Media 1. It's not the 3 part series but a bunch of celebrities discussing the series so far. So it may pop up soon.

Yeah, I noticed that. It looks promising alright, in the sense that surely they're planning on airing it if they've shown the 'introduction', so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

All three episodes of 63 Up can be found on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

It's not much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭corkie

63 up is on Virgin Media 1 since 21:00

Catch on +1 or replay feature.

I think it is the series broken into episodes and not the documentary mentioned above.

Also on the player: - https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1746

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

On now in 5 minutes on Virgin media

Advertisement