Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's House Heating System

Options
  • 07-06-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Just bought a 1980's house. House has raised wooden floors with oil central heating via radiators. External walls were pumped a few years ago with beads. The house currently has a BER of C1. I will probably internally insulate the external walls but will see how this winter goes first.
    I intend installing new windows in the next year and updating the interior but need to decide what I'm going to do with the floor first.

Option 1: Remove the wooden floorboards and install thermal board between the joists with an air tight membrane underneath and leave radiators as they are.

Option 2: Remove all wooden flooring and joists, fill in void, add thermal board insulation and install under floor heating getting rid of the rads.

Option 3: Leave the floor and rads as they are.

I would like to do option 2 but I don't think I can justify the costs as the current heating setup seems to work fine.
    So option 1 would be my next choice although the hot water tank may need to be upgraded.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Comments

Advertisement