Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Frankfurt Marathon 2018

• 23-12-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I think I'll make this my target marathon next year, has anyone been? Accommodation seems reasonably priced. And entry is €73 until January 1st.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I've registered for this. I've heard great reports from some lads at work and I think I've read some on here as well. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I've registered for this. I've heard great reports from some lads at work and I think I've read some on here as well. Looking forward to it.

Good stuff took the plunge myself last night, finish looks amazing. Let's hope we are in good condition to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Ran it in 2015 horrible day but nothing to do with the race or course. Extremely well organised event from start to finish. The tube station under the main railway station is a real eye opener considering you are a stones throw from the financial heart of the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just signed up for this. Accommodation booked. 5km or so from the end line.
    Looking forward (Hopefully) to finishing in the indoor arena.
    Might use the Dublin Marathon series races to build up to this.

I finally got around to sorting flights and accommodation for this. If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel, there's a Premier Inn around the corner from the start/finish - Around €35 to €45 per night for the room. I've not stayed in this one before but it seems to be of the same standard of any Premier Inn I've stayed in in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I finally got around to sorting flights and accommodation for this. If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel, there's a Premier Inn around the corner from the start/finish - Around €35 to €45 per night for the room. I've not stayed in this one before but it seems to be of the same standard of any Premier Inn I've stayed in in the UK.

Was looking at this or Amsterdam, in two minds, Amsterdam seems to be mad expensive for hotel rooms so was kinda thinking of Frankfurt. What made you choose it? The finish looks class.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Was looking at this or Amsterdam, in two minds, Amsterdam seems to be mad expensive for hotel rooms so was kinda thinking of Frankfurt. What made you choose it? The finish looks class.

It's fast, flat and on the same weekend as Dublin - so it suits me perfectly training wise. I know a few lads who did as well and they recommended it.I thought it would be a good one for a go at sub 3 and it'll be my first marathon abroad as well.

Just looked at that hotel, €108 for two nights which is cancellable is a great deal, great location in terms of start line. Im sold, gonna book it...

Flights dont seem to bad either - you flying on on the Saturday? Looking at the lufthansa flight at 910, lands at about midday which seems ideal.

Van.Bosch wrote:
    Flights dont seem to bad either - you flying on on the Saturday? Looking at the lufthansa flight at 910, lands at about midday which seems ideal.

I went with flying out on Friday evening with Aer Lingus at around 5pm and back with Ryanair on Monday at 10.25. Both flights came in around €50 or so. Coming up from Cork so I'd rather not be travelling for hours on the Saturday. Lufthansa looked like a better service though for the money.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote:
    Just looked at that hotel, €108 for two nights which is cancellable is a great deal, great location in terms of start line. Im sold, gonna book it...

The beds are fantastic in Premier Inns. They ar9e great hotels for the price. And you can get a train+underground for around €5 from the airport to just around the corner. Now all we need to do is train for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Have ran it 4 times and I love it myself,get an appartment hotel for 3 nights for around €230 near start/expo which would probably be the cost of a hotel in Dublin for 1 night.Had entered ballot for Berlin and was hopping I wouldn't get it as I think if pushing for a time you have a better chance as there is an excellent field of runner there.Quite a few cobbles around 23 mile mark and being honest not the prettiest of races but that doesn't worry me.Will more than likely be back in October again.

psychozeb wrote: »
    Have ran it 4 times and I love it myself,get an appartment hotel for 3 nights for around €230 near start/expo which would probably be the cost of a hotel in Dublin for 1 night.Had entered ballot for Berlin and was hopping I wouldn't get it as I think if pushing for a time you have a better chance as there is an excellent field of runner there.Quite a few cobbles around 23 mile mark and being honest not the prettiest of races but that doesn't worry me.Will more than likely be back in October again.

Is there much support on the route? Nothing like Dublin I assume?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is there much support on the route? Nothing like Dublin I assume?

No support wouldn't be as good as Dublin but it's not bad.Dublin is a bigger marathon.Frankfurt averages around 12/13k runners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

psychozeb wrote: »
    No support wouldn't be as good as Dublin but it's not bad.Dublin is a bigger marathon.Frankfurt averages around 12/13k runners

But the standard is very high
    2.45 didn't even get you into top 200
    In Dublin if you ran that you would be lucky to have company after 25k

But the standard is very high
    2.45 didn't even get you into top 200
    In Dublin if you ran that you would be lucky to have company after 25k

Totally,higher standard of runner there than Berlin also in relation to field size

€110 to sign up with no t shirt is pretty pricey isnt it though.

lucky hot buttered scones has sorted be with a cheap room!

Suppose I better start the programme tommorrow. Joys of it

I'm going to give it a miss. I'm only back after a couple of bad months due to a small injury, and to be honest I'm not confident that I'll be able to give it my best shot. I've lined up something else a few weeks later that will give me a bit more time to get ready. I have to see what the story is with deferring until next year now.

I'm going to give it a miss. I'm only back after a couple of bad months due to a small injury, and to be honest I'm not confident that I'll be able to give it my best shot. I've lined up something else a few weeks later that will give me a bit more time to get ready. I have to see what the story is with deferring until next year now.

Thought we were sharing a room at the premier inn!!

Where you heading now? New York??

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote:
    Thought we were sharing a room at the premier inn!!

Being a cheapskate I took the non refundable option. So that's 119 euro done the drain.
    Van.Bosch wrote:
    Where you heading now? New York??

Valencia!

Being a cheapskate I took the non refundable option. So that's 119 euro done the drain.

Valencia!

Lovely, meant to be a nice city.

Right then - I have the Premier Inn in Frankfurt booked for 3 nights from 26/10/18 to 29/10/18. Being overly optimistic (or stupid) I booked the non refundable fee. It's really near the start/finish. It cost me €119 for the 3 nights. I don't suppose anyone is interested in taking the room? They won't refund it, but there is no problem changing the name on the booking.

Mods: If this is against the rules that's fine, just take it down.

Edit: I can also transfer my registration for the marathon, if someone's looking to enter

Right then - I have the Premier Inn in Frankfurt booked for 3 nights from 26/10/18 to 29/10/18. Being overly optimistic (or stupid) I booked the non refundable fee. It's really near the start/finish. It cost me €119 for the 3 nights. I don't suppose anyone is interested in taking the room? They won't refund it, but there is no problem changing the name on the booking.

Mods: If this is against the rules that's fine, just take it down.

Edit: I can also transfer my registration for the marathon, if someone's looking to enter

Here was me thinking I got a good deal 260 for 3 nights.. amazing how 3 nights in Frankfurt is the same as 1 in Dublin cost wise.

Got an email from the organisers yesterday over 12 weeks out. Very organized.

7 weeks out now, wasn't long coming round. Training has been poor this time round, I'll do a half beforehand and settle and targets after. How's everybody going.

Well nearly there.

A light run today. A bit of stretching tomorrow evening. Fly out Friday afternoon. Expo on Saturday, leg loosener and feet up, then the big day. Have that mix of wicked excitement and nerves.

Weather doesn't look to bad.

Changed hotel so now only a few minutes walk from the start finish area.

Good luck to all partaking.

Best of luck to all running the weekend,was due to but accident at work start of September resulted in a broken foot. Was hoping to try out Nike vaporfly 4% this weekend and see if they would have made any difference.have ran it 4 times previously, definitely a fast time course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone, it's a grand course apart from the part where they make you practically run past the finish in the closing stages!

• Advertisement
Advertisement