Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That was a very quick weigh in for Khabib, the bar didn't look like it settled before they called it.
    It would be set to 155 in advance. When it drifts past horizontal it means he’s made weight. The precise fraction is irrelevant so they don’t try get more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Posted this in the General thread but just in case anyone in here doesn't read that

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1317889022795141126

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To the uninitiated (me), I would say it depends on how effective Gaethje is at keeping Khabib from getting in close. He may well be an excellent defensive wrestler but it's not just about being able to defend a takedown but frequent takedowns.

I'd have Khabib as favourite just because I don't see why he wouldn't be. But I Gaethje could definitely do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lots of talk flying around that Khabib didn't actually make weight and got a helping hand by the guy in front of the scales,
    Its very very hard to see but it does look like he moved the bar before the scales had stopped, Maybe he didn't but he was in a hurry to not let it settle ,

Ariel Helwani was one of those who picked up on it and called it a veteran move by the guy on the scales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just saw the video of the weigh in. Looked relieved and very drained. He struggled before making 155, seems to be taking a toll on him, can't see him wanting to do that again in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I'm actually most looking forward to Ankalaev vs. Cutelaba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

so there no way to watch this legally in Ireland if you dont have a sky sub and pay the ppv?

no ppv option on a streaming service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

feelpablo wrote: »
    so there no way to watch this legally in Ireland if you dont have a sky sub and pay the ppv?

no ppv option on a streaming service ?

Did you try the ufc website? You might be able to pay for it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Did you try the ufc website? You might be able to pay for it there.

Yeah I’ve been a long time subscriber to fightpass, they took the option to buy the ppv directly off them two years ago I think. It was a silly move but was down to their deal with bt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Khabib's cut looked brutal. Portable heaters turned on in the room and pulling on more and more layers while on the bike sweating absolute buckets.

Didn't realise Michael Chandler was to be the backup here in case there was some issue. Didn't he sign with them like 5 mins ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,931 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Khabib's weigh in looks dodgy for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Khabib's weigh in looks dodgy for sure.

No ****s given, fights on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's amazing that Khabib is still able to do that cut considering that he was hospitalised making that same weight 3 and a half years ago. That's probably one of the main reasons why he talks about retiring so much - he knows there's only so many times left that he can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

What weight does Khabib cut from? 180-185 lbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Tiramisu

It's amazing that Khabib is still able to do that cut considering that he was hospitalised making that same weight 3 and a half years ago. That's probably one of the main reasons why he talks about retiring so much - he knows there's only so many times left that he can do it.

I think he was bigger then than he was for recent fights. Unless he’s added mass for this fight.

No idea what he’s cutting from. But 175 would be a big LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The one and only time I ever put money on a fight was when Johnny hendricks barely made weight against robbie Lawlor, he looked like death warmed up on the scales. He subsequently went 5 rounds and I lost my e20. That was pre usada and during the times they could use an iv bag to rehydrate, I wonder if khabib can recover quickly enough, he looks like ****e on those scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The one and only time I ever put money on a fight was when Johnny hendricks barely made weight against robbie Lawlor, he looked like death warmed up on the scales. He subsequently went 5 rounds and I lost my e20. That was pre usada and during the times they could use an iv bag to rehydrate, I wonder if khabib can recover quickly enough, he looks like ****e on those scales.

Yoel romero vs Whittaker 2. He was carried to the scales, and missed weight. In the girst fight he was outclassed. Part 2 changed Whittaker i reckon.
    Pay no mind to the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Will the main event be an hr earlier than usual with the clock change so around 4am ? I don't even know where fight island is do they have clocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Will the main event be an hr earlier than usual with the clock change so around 4am ? I don't even know where fight island is do they have clocks?

card starts at 9pm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

sonofenoch wrote: »

Main card starts at 7pm Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

stuchyg wrote: »
    Main card starts at 7pm Irish time

Even Better

Khabib will rag doll Gaethje unless Gaethje has made serious adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

gizabeer wrote: »
    card starts at 9pm :D

Aha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What station is covering this?

BT1 and 2 don’t have it listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

****. It’s box office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib looked the same at this weigh in as he always does.

And the lad doing the weigh ins did the exact same thing with the scale with other fighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

xtal191 wrote: »
    Khabib looked the same at this weigh in as he always does.

And the lad doing the weigh ins did the exact same thing with the scale with other fighters

Yes and no he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

First time a decent UFC card is in at a decent time and
    there no way to legally watch it unless you have Sky.

Only way I can see is to have a VPN and order the PPV on a phone or pc and hook it to a Tv. Don’t wanna rely on streams that will freeze. Will just turn my phone off and download the PPV whenever it’s uploaded which will
    Probably be 11.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,931 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:
    He didn't do.it with Gaethje.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

walshb wrote: »
    What station is covering this?

BT1 and 2 don’t have it listed.

For anyone who doesn't know, the prelims are on at 5 on BT Sport 2. After that its stream time....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Can somebody please PM me about the obvious thing with this card...thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

For those of you about to set sail on the high seas tonight, may your ship be steady and may the mma gods be on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Also khabib smesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Needs to be more clarity on the rules around weigh ins.
    If Khabib wins on decision, Justin can feel hard done by based on that sham of a weigh in.

After DCs embarrassing weigh at UFC210, that's when communication from the UFC should of been ironed out so a similar occurance wouldn't happen again.

That's the problem when one man has all the power, dictator Dana decided what's on the menu and what's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Alvarez with another good submission!

Cormier is already annoying me with his babble as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vafankillar

wtf i usually get this on nowtv for like a tenner and now there's no way to legally buy it here with some sky subscription? or can i get it on a once off on sky just for the stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

wtf i usually get this on nowtv for like a tenner and now there's no way to legally buy it here with some sky subscription? or can i get it on a once off on sky just for the stream?

nope, there is literally no way.
    same as with the cowboy mcgregor fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Have to say for 5 bucks a month espn+ is great value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

She got smashed up there, what an elbow that caused that cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Maverick looks good

Really nice elbow there that led to the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

They wouldn't have stopped it for that in a man's fight. Terrible stoppage.

Imagine the classic fights we'd miss out on if fights were stopped for a broken nose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Whelo79 wrote: »
    They wouldn't have stopped it for that in a man's fight. Terrible stoppage.

Imagine the classic fights we'd miss out on if fights were stopped for a broken nose!

Was actually thinking the same. Didn't look THAT bad to warrant stopping the fight. Either the cut man did a poor job or the fight should continue.

It wasn't exactly Rory Mcdonald's nose.

For the first time in years I’ll have to stay up to morning to watch the card.
    Debating if I keep drinking and go for it, or set an alarm for last 2 fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

I too would love a pm about u know what..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mellor wrote: »
    For the first time in years I’ll have to stay up to morning to watch the card.
    Debating if I keep drinking and go for it, or set an alarm for last 2 fights.

Stay up, stay up, stay up!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Yevon wrote: »
    What time are we looking at for the main event? Midnight?

around 10 for khabib

• Advertisement
Advertisement