Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scalp treatment

Options
  • 23-01-2020 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong section but it is the closest I could find to what I wish to ask.

For years I have suffered with Scalp issues. I have tried all sorts of cures but continue to have the problem.

My main issue is a flaky scalp. It does not tend to be itchy at all and I have being to a Trichologist who has given me cream to put in my hair. It has helped a bit but has not resolved the issue. I have also tried Apple Cider vinegar which also helps so much but does not fix the issue.

On the advise of the Trichologist I have given up Diary products also. I have tried different Shampoo's and Conditioners over the years also. I have also started taking more Oil into my diet.

Can anyone advise on what has worked for them and I don't care how unique the solution is.

Regards

Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Sounds like you may be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis, a skin infection caused by a fungus which can be very itchy, its usually accompanies by a rash on the forehead and the sternal area of the chest, do you have these other symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

when you say you have tried various cures. have you seen an actual gp or dermatologist. might be seb derm as mentioned above. nizoral shampoo might help. cutting out dairy sounds a bit like quakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Nizoral or Capasal might help and are available OTC, best show it to your GP as suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I use capasal every two days and occasionally cocois ointment has cleared up my scalp psoriasis amazingly

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭colmtowey

Yeah I think it is what you advised (seborrheic dermatitis). I have being to a Tricologist which is a scalp expert. I have tried Nizoral also. I am considering getting a blood test to see if that can show up any reason for it.

I have only being taking the Oil for about 2 month's and was told it can take a bit longer to see the improvements so hoping that helps. I will probably try Coconut oil also. My sister is a barber so has also suggested options.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Regards

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A scalp expert is called a dermatologist. A GP is also likely to be able to help you with most scalp issues.

Regardless of your views on complementary therapy, it appears your trichologist has not resolved your issue, to the point where you are now looking for healthcare advice from strangers on the internet. This is not generally a good idea.

I would advise you see a GP.

Advertisement