Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BREXIT - The impact on importing cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

grogi wrote: »
    Boom boom, thanks for that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Plenty of lads exporting cars back to the UK and claiming the VRT rebate

that might be out the window

Why?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?

The U.K. will charge import duties / Vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Why?
    Because the exchange rate has left Irish cars more expensive to UK buyers

millington wrote: »
    Because the exchange rate has left Irish cars more expensive to UK buyers

Come on.
    Euro is now for £0.81.
    It was nearly the same back in April. And aroun £0.79 around mid May and mid June. And much more than that around 3 years ago.

Car for €10,000 which they could get for £7900 a month ago, now will cost them £8100.
    It's not really a prohibitive difference in price.

• Advertisement

The U.K. will charge import duties / Vat?

Do you really think they will introduce such taxes on impored cars?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Do you really think they will introduce such taxes on impored cars?

Nobody knows(including you), you answered with why question to another poster(rather than join in the discussion), I gave a potential reasoning for their post

Nobody knows(including you), you gave a one word smart-ass answer/question to another poster, I gave a potential reasoning for their post

Excuse me - what did I give???

one word smart-ass anwer/question???

Will you get off me, as you're really pi$$ing me off with your personal attacks on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

testicles wrote: »

Do you really think that UK will let its motor plants die without demand from the rest of UE just for the privilege of having import taxes from EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Might even be an advantage if exporting to uk.

Currently you need to prove registered to new owner in uk before revenue will consider rebate.
    If exporting to outside of eu, you only need to prove that it has been exported.
    I believe in general the whole Brexit thing will amount to swings and roundabouts.

testicles wrote: »

Yes, but once UK leaves EU those won't apply anymore.
    UK will have to decide on their own import taxes, and I actually doubt they would impose any high duty on cars imported from EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

UK will have to decide on their own import taxes, and I actually doubt they would impose any high duty on cars imported from EU.

Far too soon to know. Whatever the terms of trade for cars, it will be part of an overall agreement covering everything from agriculture to chemicals and the rest. At the same time as it is negotiating its exit from the Single Market, the UK will be negotiating trade deals with Japan, Korea, US, Canada etc.

Lots of moving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

maximum12 wrote: »
    Neither you or anyone else has any idea what will happen if/when the UK leaves the EU.

Extremely unlikely they will be out within 2 years due to the legal complexities.

The only thing we know is that Sterling has fallen so UK cars are cheaper today than they were yesterday.

We do not know for sure even if there would be brexit at all indeed, but we can predict worst case scenario where there is no deal and UK reverts to trading on similar conditions as any other WTO country, in that case you would have to pay customs and VAT in imports.

maximum12 wrote: »
    There's no VAT on goods imported from outside the EU.

That is not true, even in case of Norway or Switzerland.

Revenue office of one of EU countries explains it pretty well: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Maye this has been covered before but Does anyone know will there be any changes regarding vrt when importing a car from the UK after brexit. Will it end up like importing from Japan with vat etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

nophd08 wrote: »
    Maye this has been covered before but Does anyone know will there be any changes regarding vrt when importing a car from the UK after brexit. Will it end up like importing from Japan with vat etc.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

shortly il need a new motor with a new addition to the family , whats peoples thoughts on importing post brexit? do you think this will become more difficult come this april?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

griffinlee wrote: »
    shortly il need a new motor with a new addition to the family , whats peoples thoughts on importing post brexit? do you think this will become more difficult come this april?

If they crash out, definitely. You’ll be paying VAT and customs duty regardless of whether it’ll be new or used. And that’s not taking into account the probable chaos at the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

If they crash out, definitely. You’ll be paying VAT and customs duty regardless of whether it’ll be new or used. And that’s not taking into account the probable chaos at the ports.

i am thinkig the same. i dont need the car really till june time but its prob best to get it before march deadline....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

No expert, but would guess March exit will be delayed. There is literally no infrastructure to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

So I bought a car in Belfast on 23rd February and drove it home, across the border.

The earliest VRT appointment I could get in an NCTS office was last Friday, March 15th.

At this appointment, I was told they couldn't register it there and then because my car details needed to be sent off for assessment, because:
    (A.) the exact car details were not on their system. (Even though the exact car details were on the Revenue website estimation calculator - seems bizarre they don't have a single system to go by - but this is a separate issue)

(B.) My car was under 2 years old (it's 17 months old).

Anyway...This assessment process typically takes 10 days they said, but I called revenue to check and they mentioned there's a 3-4 week backlog currently.

My Question/Issue...
    With Brexit looming (assuming it happens on March 29th) I could potentially be subject so 10% Customs fee + 23% VAT bill, all because of a delay on the NCTS/Revenue's side in having my car's VRT assessment processed. This deems daft in my mind.

I would hope/expect they should take the date of my NCTS appointment (March 15th) as the date to go by, considering they don't the exact date when I actually drove it into Ireland.

Am sure there's a few people in the same boat right now but wanted to get thoughts on what people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corvus4906 wrote: »
    So I bought a car in Belfast on 23rd February and drove it home, across the border.

The earliest VRT appointment I could get in an NCTS office was last Friday, March 15th.

At this appointment, I was told they couldn't register it there and then because my car details needed to be sent off for assessment, because:
    (A.) the exact car details were not on their system. (Even though the exact car details were on the Revenue website estimation calculator - seems bizarre they don't have a single system to go by - but this is a separate issue)

(B.) My car was under 2 years old (it's 17 months old).

Anyway...This assessment process typically takes 10 days they said, but I called revenue to check and they mentioned there's a 3-4 week backlog currently.

My Question/Issue...
    With Brexit looming (assuming it happens on March 29th) I could potentially be subject so 10% Customs fee + 23% VAT bill, all because of a delay on the NCTS/Revenue's side in having my car's VRT assessment processed. This deems daft in my mind.

I would hope/expect they should take the date of my NCTS appointment (March 15th) as the date to go by, considering they don't the exact date when I actually drove it into Ireland.

Am sure there's a few people in the same boat right now but wanted to get thoughts on what people think?

The point for both VAT and VRT will have arisen at the latest when you drive across the border. The fact that you have presented yourself to NCTS is proof that the car has entered Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hotrodder

Marcusm wrote: »
    The point for both VAT and VRT will have arisen at the latest when you drive across the border. The fact that you have presented yourself to NCTS is proof that the car has entered Ireland.

I'm in the same boat. They told me that some valuations are still coming back aftr two weeks. Fingers crossed. I'm not sure how long insurance company will allow me drive it on yellow plates ??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

If I import a car from the UK tomorrow and cannot get a VRT appointment until April could i be subject to the 20% tariff on diesels in the event of a crash out Brexit. I would hope the date of import should be the day it came into Ireland??

That is correct. VRT woukdn’t Be the issue however. That would be customs duties and VAT but equally not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

If I import a car from the UK tomorrow and cannot get a VRT appointment until April could i be subject to the 20% tariff on diesels in the event of a crash out Brexit. I would hope the date of import should be the day it came into Ireland??

Things may or may not go to hell on 30 March.
    At whatever date a "NO DEAL" occurs you will then be liable for VAT and customs duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

I'm in a very similar situation to what you're talking about.

I bought a car on 23rd of Feb.
    I had my VRT appointment last Friday on 15th of March.

I was told my car needs to be assessed for VRT, and there's a backlog of 3-4 weeks currently.

So i'm worrying that they will not get around to assessing it until after the 29th...and when they come back to me with a VRT figure, and i go to pay it in the office, they try hit me with a VAT and Customs bill for 33% of the Sterling price i paid...on top of my VRT.

Very worried about it - especially unfair as the delay is on revenue's side considering i brought my car for assessment LAST WEEK.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I'm in a very similar situation to what you're talking about.

I bought a car on 23rd of Feb.
    I had my VRT appointment last Friday on 15th of March.

I was told my car needs to be assessed for VRT, and there's a backlog of 3-4 weeks currently.

So i'm worrying that they will not get around to assessing it until after the 29th...and when they come back to me with a VRT figure, and i go to pay it in the office, they try hit me with a VAT and Customs bill for 33% of the Sterling price i paid...on top of my VRT.

Very worried about it - especially unfair as the delay is on revenue's side considering i brought my car for assessment LAST WEEK.
    No need to worry as you have already imported it before Brexit day.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

I hope you are right Marcusm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes , it's the date of import that matters. In any event the date is looking more likely to be May22nd now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement