Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donuts, just a Dublin thing?

Options
  • 10-10-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

I didn't spot one other shop in the whole Republic sofar (open to correction). Are the rest of us not notionsy enough?
    And what do we need to catch up? Danny Healy to bang the desk again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a 4 years ago thing.

Nah, a glutton thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well country people would be more interested in potatoes and cabbage and boiled ham. Anything more exotic will cause their turf addled brains to go into meltdown.

Dublin folk on the other hand have a more refined taste, and are more willing to try things like spice burgers, battered sausages and curry chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

tenor.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I didn't spot one other shop in the whole Republic sofar (open to correction). Are the rest of us not notionsy enough?

Naw. Just lots of fat bastards in Dublin:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's a 4 years ago thing.
    Well, Dunkin' Donuts were in Ireland in the early 90s so they're not exactly new here...just overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Firstly. Doughnuts.

Secondly. Available every where.

Thirdly. Have been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

There is a good few in cork city centre

Notions,...........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well, Dunkin' Donuts were in Ireland in the early 90s so they're not exactly new here...just overrated.

I'm talking about donut shops popping up seemingly on every second street in our capital a few years ago. They were everywhere. See thread here this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

The Dublin shops are starting to close one-by-one nearly one a week at this stage. It went from like one stall on O'Connell street 3-5 years ago to at least 100 locations from 10 different chains at 'peak doughnut' last year to maybe 60-70 now with a couple of the chains having gone under recently.

The trend started declining fast last year, I'd say by this time next, Dublin will be down to 20-30 locations and all the various new chains can choose between fighting it out, shutting up shop and banking the profits or expanding into other Irish cities and having the monopoly there plus the possibility of keeping the fad going with a new audience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I do wonder what the next big fad will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Dublin people just hang around waiting for the latest fad that will have them sitting in traffic queues for hours. I call it M50 syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's a big Boston Doughnuts stand in the shop part of Obama Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a big Boston Doughnuts stand in the shop part of Obama Plaza.

That’s for the dubs to stock up when going on holidays down the country

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dublin people just hang around waiting for the latest fad that will have them sitting in traffic queues for hours. I call it M50 syndrome

You have your own name for a phenomenon that only happens in your head?

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

vicwatson wrote: »
    That’s for the dubs to stock up when going on holidays down the country

Can you fit any dubs, or anyone else, into that place among the 7000 Spanish students that seem to be there at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Gin and tonic, 'craft' beer, burger restaurants, doughnut outlets... wonder what the next food fad will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

At 5-600 calories a pop I wouldn't even look at one of those Crispy Creme or "fancy" donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

every tesco has a stand of doughnuts just inside the door... used to be E for 5. went up to E1.25 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm talking about donut shops popping up seemingly on every second street in our capital a few years ago. They were everywhere. See thread here this time last year.
    Ah, I'm rarely allowed access to the capital, and then only in disguise. I'm also sure an alarm would go off if I entered what might be deemed a 'trendy' establishment.

And I'm not into doughnuts. My sister put two dozen Krispie Kreme doughnuts in front of me last week, but I declined the offer, resulting in the others there accusing me of being a Communist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Sky King wrote: »
    Gin and tonic, 'craft' beer, burger restaurants, doughnut outlets... wonder what the next food fad will be?

You forgot pulled pork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I believe the culchies are just getting their first influx of cupcake shops now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't get this American obsession of having shops for just one food item nor do I understand how they get popular here. Another one is Subway selling overpriced bread rolls. Has anyone set up a bagel shop here yet? If not that will probably be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't get this American obsession of having shops for just one food item nor do I understand how they get popular here. Another one is Subway selling overpriced bread rolls. Has anyone set up a bagel shop here yet? If not that will probably be next.

It's good for the economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's good for the economy

So are shops that sell a wide range of food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

D3V!L wrote: »
    At 5-600 calories a pop I wouldn't even look at one of those Crispy Creme or "fancy" donuts.

That must be one big doughnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So are shops that sell a wide range of food.

Exclusivity is also good for the economy, we humans tend to purchase more under these conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

D3V!L wrote: »

They’d be right yeoks for fattening pigs.donut flavored bacon and you wouldn’t be long getting them up to weight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

just an idiot thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bagel shops. There's been loads of them.

I don't see what the problem is.

I don't like donuts at all but at least we have more choice of food nowadays unlike years ago.

Advertisement