Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Became friend with a student over from the States, now she's gone I'm extremely down

Options
  • 16-05-2016 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I met a girl that was over for a semester through another friend. We ended up having tons in common compared to anyone I've known. We both just ended up having crazy, wild, care free nights and great times together. Now she's gone back and I'm back in my hometown for the Summer. I met up with my long time friends for a drink and it really hit me how uptight and boring everyone is. I came home and bawled my eyes out over it. I feel like I'm in mourning, because I know chances are I might not ever see her again. Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I'm feeling extremely down over this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Was this a platonic friendship? Or did you have feelings for the girl?

In any event, it doesn't really matter - either scenario is a bit like a holiday romance. It's short, exciting, and a change from the norm when someone like this enters your life and you hit it off, especially if they're for partying and are culturally different. And it's normal for it to feel sad when it ends and you return to the mundane nature of 'normal' life. I feel like that at the end of every holiday!

Few suggestions. First off, if you're kept contact details, then keep in touch! Social media, emails, whatever. And why not arrange to meet up again? Is there a chance you could visit her next Summer, even if it means saving up? Or she could come over again? Or if you're both travelling you could meet at a pre-arranged destination.

I'd also advise some caution re: your friends. It's pretty insulting to write them off as 'uptight' and 'boring' just because someone new on the scene was more exciting, especially if they've been in your life for years. Just remember, USA girl was here to have fun - of course she's going to seem exciting. She may not be as carefree when she returns to a normal 9-5 routine in her own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why dont you go visit her ?

Advertisement