Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do you often pay for services well in advance of them being complete? I wouldn't feel comfortable paying for the solicitor until they're pretty much done and dusted, as a previous poster said when the exchange of keys are being arranged would be the earliest I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Do you often pay for services well in advance of them being complete? I wouldn't feel comfortable paying for the solicitor until they're pretty much done and dusted, as a previous poster said when the exchange of keys are being arranged would be the earliest I'd be thinking.

Tis up to yourself whether you trust the solicitor to do the job right or not. Personally I don’t see what difference it makes if you pay up front or not. For me it was easier and cheaper to make one transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

TheShow wrote: »
    Tis up to yourself whether you trust the solicitor to do the job right or not. Personally I don’t see what difference it makes if you pay up front or not. For me it was easier and cheaper to make one transfer.

Yeah, seems odd to use a solicitor you don't trust in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

This is the same as my thinking. We will be drawing down on the mortgage in stages but are paying solicitor in first draw down. Why should they deal with any issues we have if they have already been paid. I think it should be nearer the end

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Got our loan pack today! It's full of documents which I've only skimmed so far - I presume this is where my solicitor will jump in, in terms of reviewing these documents? I did notice a mistake in the initial valuation report where it says the house has 2 bathrooms instead of 3. Is this a big deal, given that we will have to get a second valuation done before drawdown anyway?

Having a bit of a nightmare trying to get the life insurance sorted, but hey at least the loan offer is one step down!

• Advertisement

hanaimai wrote: »
    Got our loan pack today! It's full of documents which I've only skimmed so far - I presume this is where my solicitor will jump in, in terms of reviewing these documents? I did notice a mistake in the initial valuation report where it says the house has 2 bathrooms instead of 3. Is this a big deal, given that we will have to get a second valuation done before drawdown anyway?

Having a bit of a nightmare trying to get the life insurance sorted, but hey at least the loan offer is one step down!

Yep, solicitor will do all of that. just check the pre-drawdown conditions that you need to get sorted.
    Would it be two bathrooms and one en-suite?

Life cover should be handy enough unless you have a medical condition which might rule you out of cover or make it very expensive. but ring around, just like you would for car insurance.

TheShow wrote: »

Yep, solicitor will do all of that. just check the pre-drawdown conditions that you need to get sorted.
    Would it be two bathrooms and one en-suite?

Life cover should be handy enough unless you have a medical condition which might rule you out of cover or make it very expensive. but ring around, just like you would for car insurance.

Ah perfect, thanks for confirming! Yea it's one ensuite and two bathrooms - maybe that's it. There wasn't any box for ensuites so that was all that had me wondering if it was right or not.

Yea I had some medical issues years ago that unfortunately the insurance companies have all looked for evidence of. Almost a month going through the process now and still not sorted. Only good thing was I suspected there would be issues so I started looking the minute we put a deposit down. Still very annoying though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Update on my own status.

Bank have been very easy to work with. Got the loan approval letter in less than 2 weeks.

We had some issues with the mortgage protection due to a health condition and were turned down by irish life and laya. Ending up going to the brokers Lion.ie and they sorted us out in less than a week. In fact they had our application submitted less than 24 hours after we contacted them. Very happy with their service, if you are struggling or just want to use a broker I would highly recommend them

The issue we have run into now is with the developers solicitor and lack of communication. We are finding it very difficult to get detailed information, even though they are pushing us to sign the contracts. They also refuse to add a clause for loan approval, so our solicitor has advised that we sign nothing until the day of closing. Especially as we have received basically no information on the house (new build house, bought off plan).

Overall the bank have been very easy and quick, the insurance brokers saved us a ton of trouble and time, and now we are stuck butting heads with the developer and their solicitor. Hoping to move in by the end of October as our own landlord is kicking us out so he can sell the house :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

hanaimai wrote: »

Try lion.ie

We had the same problem with insurance due to health problems, but lion where great helping us get the insurance. even contacting us out of hours. delighted with their service tbh, as it was a real worry for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Why don't estate agents take booking deposits over the phone or in person their office but insist people queue up outside the sales office on the site even after the initial launch date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Why don't estate agents take booking deposits over the phone or in person their office but insist people queue up outside the sales office on the site even after the initial launch date?

Optics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Anyone have any experience with a receiver sale as in it’s owned by the banks? How did it go?

All I’ve heard about this is that it can be slower than an individual sale.

Optics

Would you say thats the only reason?

I’d say purely optics, they have to make it look like they are actually doing something, cos from my experience most estate agents are a waste of space/time/money.
    The initial agent I dealt with when buying my house was a muppet. Always late for viewings and her attitude sucked. She Actually put us off buying the house because I hated dealing with her. Then we saw the developer put a different agent on to sell the house and we swooped in. To be fair to the second agent they were a lot more professional and easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Would you say thats the only reason?

Yea I think so. It's to show the developer that they're doing something & to show the wider public that there's mass shortages of housing so buy buy buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

6 weeks after going sale agreed, and the paperwork is being sent from vendor solicitor to our solicitor today. Excited that it's moving, but you really wouldn't want to be holding your breath!

Bawnmore wrote: »
    6 weeks after going sale agreed, and the paperwork is being sent from vendor solicitor to our solicitor today. Excited that it's moving, but you really wouldn't want to be holding your breath!

yep, its a slow and sometimes frustrating process, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Anyone have any experience with a receiver sale as in it’s owned by the banks? How did it go?

I'm very early in the process and it's a killer so far.

I haven't experienced directly, but a friend of mine went through it. Expect long waiting times between transactions, and add a few months onto any closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Bawnmore wrote: »

Don’t get too excited. Our solicitor got the contracts 6 weeks ago and still waiting

• Advertisement

Folks, do estate agents accept deposits on new builds with AIP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I was accepted without AIP and didn't apply for the mortgage until after I'd paid the booking deposit.

Talk to the agent, tell them what stage you're at and see what they say.

Depends on each EA i'd imagine. sorry, cant be more concise than that.
    There are no actual rules around it. I didn't have AIP on my mortgage when I paid booking deposit. Just said the mortgage application was submitted to the lender.

IS EA refusing to take booking deposit?

My EA never even asked about AIP, just took my booking deposit and that was that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course. What else would they accept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

wally79 wrote: »
    Don’t get too excited. Our solicitor got the contracts 6 weeks ago and still waiting

Our solicitor got our contracts in the first week of April and we didn't close until mid July

awec wrote:
    Of course. What else would they accept?

An actually offer letter

In theory you shouldn’t need any letter to put down a booking deposit, the whole purpose of making a booking deposit is that it gives you time to get all that stuff sorted.
    But I think that due to the sheer demand, crafty EA’s are making their own rules up as they go along.

What are most people going with these days, fixed or variable?

Looking on various different bank calculators and Bonkers but very difficult to decide what's the best choice.

Looking at around 300k over 27-30 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

We gave our final few documents (insurance, mortgage protection, direct debit & deed of assignment) to our broker on Friday 7th September. PTSB say they've only received 2 of these, broker resent all 4 again.... It's painful how slow this process is(and has been) ...probably be another 10 days now before its issued.
    What are people's experiences of getting cheque drawn down from PTSB?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement