Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Should be named Nick O'Donnell bridge after the famous Hurler who played for both Wexford & Kilkenny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Should be named Nick O'Donnell bridge after the famous Hurler who played for both Wexford & Kilkenny :D

That's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 12/05/18
    IMAG12361_zpsxuyk5r6m.png2IMAG12362_zpsfthvaags.png3IMAG12363_zpsryljncvc.png4IMAG12365_zpsg6fo1zbh.jpg5IMAG12366_zpshcytbw07.jpg6IMAG12367_zpscfu4121u.jpg

The Barrow bridge 11/05/18
    IMAG12369_zpslzgk16iy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

Excellent pics m17.

The second last pic you posted earlier today shows the sort of distance between spans. I still cannot get my head around the engineering of it..

eagerv wrote: »
    Excellent pics m17.

The second last pic you posted earlier today shows the sort of distance between spans. I still cannot get my head around the engineering of it..

Here's a project that they are doing in Panama which is like this one
    IMAG12370_zpsdwxdvooq.jpg

IMAG12371_zps2umqphzc.jpg

IMAG12372_zpsuk0pvogd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

m17 wrote: »
    Here's a project that they are doing in Panama which is like this one

Atlantic bridge, Panama...started in 2013 and now over 80% complete.. Just one of many mammoth projects being undertaken by the Chinese in central and South America!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well, if the Panamanians (or Chinese) are looking for some music to play during the opening ceremony...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Bridge_(album)

The barrow crossing 14/05/18
    IMAG12369_zpsyu7ocbf4.png

• Advertisement

Pier four
    IMAG12376_zpsojshyrtd.png

The barrow bridge form minaun Co Waterford
    IMAG12373_zpskjt91of8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got a message from Kilkenny Council today about a new roundabout around Glenmore, part of this project. Does this refer to the proper, final, roundabout that will lead onto this road, or just something temporary? It's been a little while since I drove out that way.
    Please note as part of the ongoing roadworks on the N25 New Ross By-Pass the New Roundabout on the N25 at Glenmore will be in operation from Tuesday 29th May 2018. To facilitate the switching of traffic a Stop/Go System will be in place on Tuesday 29th May from 9:00am to 17:00pm and minor delays should be expected. Motorists are advised that the enforceable speed limit in this area is reduced to 60 km/h with a Cautionary Speed of 45km/h advised. Motorists are asked to take caution when entering the roundabout and Yield to traffic on the roundabout.

N25 progress may 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still think this bridge is sheer lunacy in terms of scale for the amount of traffic it will take. To this day I'm amazed that something of this scale was approved, passed, funded and is actually being built.

I love it. Can't wait to drive it. I'm going there on opening day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I still think this bridge is sheer lunacy in terms of scale for the amount of traffic it will take. To this day I'm amazed that something of this scale was approved, passed, funded and is actually being built.

I love it. Can't wait to drive it. I'm going there on opening day.

The depth of the valley meant whatever they built would be expensive so I guess they may as well make it a dual carriageway/motorway style road. Also it's the N25 which is an important road in an all-Ireland context. Still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Coming off the height of the pink rock made the construction less, not more difficult.

New Ross was a reasonably active port during the 80s and 90s when the idea of an additional downstream crossing was being discussed.
    That, coupled with the political clout of the Stafford family who owned the port facilities, meant that any bridge would have to have sufficient clearance over the river so that ships could pass under at high tide.
    At one stage they were considering a tunnel under the river at Marsh Meadows as a possible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

josip wrote: »
    Coming off the height of the pink rock made the construction less, not more difficult.

New Ross was a reasonably active port during the 80s and 90s when the idea of an additional downstream crossing was being discussed.
    That, coupled with the political clout of the Stafford family who owned the port facilities, meant that any bridge would have to have sufficient clearance over the river so that ships could pass under at high tide.
    At one stage they were considering a tunnel under the river at Marsh Meadows as a possible solution.

Agreed, a low cost option would have been to build a bridge from the Brandon House Hotel/Marshmeadows across to the old Albatross factory in the other side. Granted, it wouldn't be a great option but certainly worth consideration and would have cost a fraction of the current work.

Still, I'm delighted to see the new bridge taking shape. It's going to be very impressive and we can never complain of under specification in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

spacetweek wrote:
    The depth of the valley meant whatever they built would be expensive so I guess they may as well make it a dual carriageway/motorway style road. Also it's the N25 which is an important road in an all-Ireland context. Still.

Especially post-Brexit (e.g. noch Potential for increased demand at Rosslare harbour)

N25 drone view 29/05/18

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 01/06/18
    IMAG12455_zps9kudjm5h.jpg

Em, please don't laugh but I took a spin down that way earlier from the Enniscorthy side... And couldn't find the bridge!! Any hints on how to get to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

jca wrote: »
    Em, please don't laugh but I took a spin down that way earlier from the Enniscorthy side... And couldn't find the bridge!! Any hints on how to get to see it?

First left outside New Ross (past the business park) on Waterford road will bring you to the Pink Rock where bridge is being built. Doubt you’ll get very close though.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

MichealD wrote: »

First left outside New Ross (past the business park) on Waterford road will bring you to the Pink Rock where bridge is being built. Doubt you’ll get very close though.
    You can get quite close to it, up to just few meters from the pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

m17 wrote: »
    N25 drone view 29/05/18

This is the best footage i've seen so far especially on a 22'' widescreen monitor :)

MichealD wrote: »

Is that the old road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is that the old road?

Yes the old Waterford road via the Pink Rock. Remember the railway bridges and lorries blocking the traffic?

The road is now terminated at the construction site but you can drive down to the end, even though there are barriers which you can drive around about 1 km from the site. I usually walk the last 1 km.

eagerv wrote: »
    Yes the old Waterford road via the Pink Rock. Remember the railway bridges and lorries blocking the traffic?

The road is now terminated at the construction site but you can drive down to the end, even though there are barriers which you can drive around about 1 km from the site. I usually walk the last 1 km.

Thanks for that, I remember it well. Myself and the brother had hitched a lift in a Merc milk tanker that we had timed on the road, coming out under the second arch a young lad in a green flat front petrol Hiace got mangled under the out turned drivers wheel. I still laugh at the Dungarvan drivers comment as he left the cab, Jayzus lads all I could see was the whites of his eyes:D
    God every mile of that road was dreadful,it was definitely a throwback to the horse and cart era.
    Can it still be entered from the other end?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks for that, I remember it well. Myself and the brother had hitched a lift in a Merc milk tanker that we had timed on the road, coming out under the second arch a young lad in a green flat front petrol Hiace got mangled under the out turned drivers wheel. I still laugh at the Dungarvan drivers comment as he left the cab, Jayzus lads all I could see was the whites of his eyes:D
    God every mile of that road was dreadful,it was definitely a throwback to the horse and cart era.
    Can it still be entered from the other end?

Yes, you can also approach from the county road bridge side.
    The new bridge turns both approaches into cul de sacs although my understanding is that when the works are finished the old road will be reopened.

Was a fairly hairy road alright.
    My grandfather had a run in with one of those milk tankers.
    Myself and a friend going to school on the bikes would play a game of seeing who could touch the truck bodies/trailers as they slowly squeezed past.

• Advertisement

The new Ross bypass

Advertisement