Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane like wind for a few seconds

Options
  • 06-07-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I am over in Spain and yesterday we were at the pool when all of a sudden out of nowhere it was like being in the middle of a hurricane, there was tables flying over and towels and peoples belonging flying everywhere, it felt like it was raining because the pool water was thrown everywhere from the wind. There was panic by a lot of people and some started to run. There was a lot of dust pulled up too from a nearby dry area and was heading the direction of the pool, then all of a sudden again the wind just went and normality was restored. This all lasted about 30 seconds max.

Very strange it was, I tried to Google what it could have been but all I am getting reference to is a gust of wind. This was more like an extremely short hurricane for want of a better expression.

Any ideas what this was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/2766357/kildare-farmer-fairy-wind-phenomenon-video/amp/

Have seen these in ireland and in a few deserts. The ones in really hot climates are very intense. I presume they are formed by rapidly rising hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Experienced something like this years ago in Castlebar of all places. There was a group of us sitting out the back of some pub on a day something like today when suddenly, all hell broke loose. Tables, chairs, sunshades and plants etc went flying everywhere, along with beer glasses and whatnot. Only lasted about 15 seconds or so but the place looked like it had been bombed in the aftermath.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sounds like a dust devil, I often see these at a distance over dry country in the western U.S., but once I had one cross my path while driving and it produced wind gusts that felt like 120 km/hr with debris blowing around, this on an otherwise not very windy and sunny afternoon (it was a mile north of Lakeview OR so I wasn't driving very fast, and I didn't see it coming as the track was from my left but at a diagonal so it just appeared from behind a building a few seconds before the circulation hit me, I estimated it was perhaps ten metres in diameter). They follow a rather erratic path similar to the prevailing wind which on this particular day was due south. Glad I wasn't at full speed, probably doing about 60 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Yeah dust devil is what my brother said straight away but we didn't see anything like what it looks like in the video posted above.

The area it effected was very large aswel probably the size of 4 football pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sometimes you can get outflow winds from a thunderstorm that is far enough away that you don't get rain or maybe even hear thunder. Was it that kind of a day with distant thunder clouds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Sometimes you can get outflow winds from a thunderstorm that is far enough away that you don't get rain or maybe even hear thunder. Was it that kind of a day with distant thunder clouds?

No it was very clear day. Not a cloud in the sky for miles around as far as I could tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Might have been something like this....
    Irish man films incredible ‘small tornado’ in Galway showing loose hay and grass soaring to extreme heights in the sky

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2814100/galway-small-tornado-heatwave-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hooter23 wrote: »

If this rag is the 'Irish Sun', why did they feel the need to point out that the man who captured this footage.. in Ireland.. as being 'Irish'?

But once again, this article just demonstrates how talentless journalists exploit the work and footage of other people in order to generate clicks and profits.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Pal mine says he saw twisters two days ago here in midlands, same day i came on a tree down blocking a road and took down power lines just outside Tuillamore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sounds a bit like one of those so-called Microbursts:

http://abc7.com/weather/microburst-sends-umbrellas-chairs-flying-in-santa-barbara/2373954/

I think I remember seeing a video like this from much closer to home recently enough where people were sitting outside in sunshine in shorts and then all of a sudden there was a madly violent wind or hailstorm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There was a few fairy blasts/ mini twisters around today, they are the last thing you need in a neatly rowed up field of hay that's ready to be baled. The air in and around the twister is noticeably colder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This dust Devil packed a bit of a punch in Menorca today....

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1016790195906244610

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My sister had a gazebo up at the back of the house. It was blown asunder last Saturday. I blamed one of these whirlwind phenomena you get in good weather for the damage. There is an Irish name for this weather item. It is called a shig wee. I spelled phonetically as my Irish is almost non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

They are known in Australia as a willy willy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jpmarn wrote: »
    My sister had a gazebo up at the back of the house. It was blown asunder last Saturday. I blamed one of these whirlwind phenomena you get in good weather for the damage. There is an Irish name for this weather item. It is called a shig wee. I spelled phonetically as my Irish is almost non existent.

http://www.irishabroad.com/Blogs/PostView.aspx?pid=4407

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Two together, in a field of straw, top right hand corner of pic, the field is about 6 miles away

Advertisement