Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options
  • 18-11-2014 2:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as Christmas threads have started already, it seems like it's time to start a main thread for the topic. It usually works best if we keep all the Christmas dinner-related questions to one thread, that then works as a great resource for everyone! So let this be the 2014 thread :)

We're thinking of having an orphan's Christmas with some friends here in Vancouver. Bizarrely, it'll be the first Christmas day myself and my fiancé spend together! I'm going to start menu planning soon.

What are you thinking of having?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"Orphan's Xmas"? is that all your mates who are away from home?

Did something like that 10 years ago in Sydney, cooked dinner in our apartment for 10 people - make sure to distribute jobs to everyone, otherwise it will be you under stress and everyone getting pissed. Get someone to bring starter, and someone else to bring dessert etc

We did almost everything dinner wise, and that was a mistake, because having a kitchen working to make a full Xmas dinner is warm as it is, but in 35+ degree summer Sydney heat it was a killer. You won't have that in Canada though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, all* our friends who're staying in Vancouver for Christmas, so won't be with their families.

*Well, a select group anyway :pac:

Outsourcing is definitely a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

We had a orphans dinner two years ago here. Got the AC down to 16 so the Christmas jumpers didn't kill us and put snowy/fireplace scenes on the tv screen. Great craic.

We had our Christmas dinner here last weekend to mark a month till we go home. No starters sadly as I just didn't have enough time.

I brined a turkey, then smoked it on the Braai/BBQ. Whilst that was going on I did a ham with Mustard, honey, brown sugar and whiskey glaze. I also did goose fat roaties and the usual veg. The ham was brought back from our last trip to Ireland.

My favorite was the gluten free (GF) stuffing I made for the first time. I baked a loaf of GF bread. I then blitzed it in the food processor. I cooked some GF sausage (bought in Ireland) and blitzed them too. I pan fried finely chopped onions with butter, then added sage and rosemary. Then threw all of the above into a bread tin and into the oven for 20-30 mins. It was delicious.

Turkeyandstuff_zps42ca8821.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I have been dying for this thread to start. :D :O

I don't know what we're doing for Xmas this year, or where we'll be yet, but I'm looking forward to it and getting plenty of ideas/inspiration from this thread.

Last year we got a four bird roast from Aldi and it was horrid, never again. This year we don't know what to do for dinner, himself is thinking goose, but I dunno.

Was thinking maybe good and ham? Not sure though.
    Jude13 wrote: »
    I brined a turkey, then smoked it on the Braai/BBQ. Whilst that was going on I did a ham with Mustard, honey, brown sugar and whiskey glaze. I also did goose fat roaties and the usual veg. The ham was brought back from our last trip to Ireland.
    Can I ask, would you please post the recipe for the ham? I was at a wedding in August and at the canapé reception there was this ham done in a mustard and whiskey glaze, it was unreal. I'd never had it before and I am considering doing it for Xmas, but I'm struggling to find a good recipe, that's been tried and tested.

• Advertisement

No worries, I score the fat of the ham and insert cloves, I start off really neat but then get bored and just lash them in.

I then place the ham in a deep dish and pour in half a bottle of Magner (drink the left over half). I throw some cloves on top of the cider. I then make a bowl mixed with brown sugar, honey, English mustard and whiskey and put it the mix (not all of it) on the ham. Lash it in the oven covered in foil. After about an hour take the foil off and baste again and again with the mix till the ham is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

After 40 odd years of cooking Christmas dinner, my mother is finally taking a break and coming to us for dinner, along with a few other family members! I've never cooked a turkey before so hopefully all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Our Christmas dinner doesn't really change from year to year - which is fine in a way because it's absolutely delicious (God bless you mother!) but I would love to try the baked ham with a glaze sometime - my mum just boils it which is a tad boring...:o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Deadly, someone started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Mum does Christmas dinner and will assassinate anyone who suggests bringing a dish, as Christmas is Her Job. She also does it very very well and has six ovens versus my one and a half, so no complaints from me :D We are doing Thanksgiving though, Mr Emaleth being a Yank, so I'm doing spatchcock turkey, glazed ham, twice baked potatoes, gravy, large amounts of stuffing and an as-yet undetermined token green vegetable. Dessert is maple cream pie. Canapés will be crab, lime and red chili tartlets, plus something else I haven't decided on yet. I may do buttermilk biscuits with chipotle butter as another side dish, depends on how I do timing wise. They freeze very well so if I can, I'll make them and the pastry for canapés and pie and freeze the lot this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After 40 odd years of cooking Christmas dinner, my mother is finally taking a break and coming to us for dinner, along with a few other family members! I've never cooked a turkey before so hopefully all goes well!

No pressure then!

We inherited the Christmas Dinner from my Mum a few years ago. Apart from the last hour or so in the kitchen, it's all pretty relaxed. Having kids that wake up at 4am helps with the prep work. :)

Bought a couple of jars of ginger preserve earlier this year from Aldi. Going to lash it on the baked ham to see what comes out.

Going to brine and then simmer the turkey in stock for a few hours. Here's hoping for some juicy meat.

The only worry really is what to serve the vegan little sister! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Overcooked Brussels sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Our Christmas dinner changes from year to year, this year I'll be with my husbands family so it's looking like crown of turkey (for those who eat it), leg of lamb and or stuffed pork steak (my personal favourite). For stuffing I use grannys recipe of lots of butter, breadcrumbs, parsley and S&P! My mother in law will make sausage meat stuffing and cook that separately too, it's not something I "get" really. Goose fat roasties, brussel sprouts with honey and bacon, carrot and parsnip in some form or other and hopefully celeriac puree, which I just love!

In my own family home there will only be four people and so they are planning a seven course tasting menu! I'm not jealous at all.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I have been dying for this thread to start. :D :O

I don't know what we're doing for Xmas this year, or where we'll be yet, but I'm looking forward to it and getting plenty of ideas/inspiration from this thread.

Last year we got a four bird roast from Aldi and it was horrid, never again. This year we don't know what to do for dinner, himself is thinking goose, but I dunno.

Was thinking maybe good and ham? Not sure though.

Can I ask, would you please post the recipe for the ham? I was at a wedding in August and at the canapé reception there was this ham done in a mustard and whiskey glaze, it was unreal. I'd never had it before and I am considering doing it for Xmas, but I'm struggling to find a good recipe, that's been tried and tested.

I tried goose one year, very little meat and tough as boots, wouldn't bother with it again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I tried goose one year, very little meat and tough as boots, wouldn't bother with it again

I love goose.
    Mine was beautifully tender.
    They are expensive for the amount of meat you get but extremely tasty. A goose would only feed 5 or 6 adults max.
    Also, if stuffing the cavity, you'll need about twice the stuffing you think - that cavity is massive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Usually, it's something like this.

Turkey - going to brine it this year
    Ham - glazed, few cloves and the like
    Veg - I don't eat sprouts, they're of the devil
    Sausage meat - might do some of those stuffing balls from the Cooking Club again.
    Gravy - not Bisto
    Wine
    Home made pudding with ice cream, cream, brandy butter
    Orange wine and sit by the fire

There's a Darina Allen Christmas book around somewhere from years ago. Going to check it out for inspiration - the dessert side looks decadent...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have a vegetarian/vegan in the party, am doing a whole baked celeriac as a centre piece. It's roasted with garlic, bay and thyme, then finished with truffle oil. When carved, it's quite dense and holds together well; and it goes very well with roast turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Minder wrote: »
    I have a vegetarian/vegan in the party, am doing a whole baked celeriac as a centre piece. It's roasted with garlic, bay and thyme, then finished with truffle oil. When carved, it's quite dense and holds together well; and it goes very well with roast turkey.

Nice one! Thanks very much....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just serve her to the rest of the meat eaters, problem solved :)

I CANNOT wait for all food related activities at Christmas! Back home to Ireland for a big family Christmas so I intend to be like Elvis at an all-you-can eat buffet and make an exhibition of myself in a show of sheer gluttony. Not pregnant like last year so really looking forward to all the crab claws, jumbo prawns and other shellfish on offer, yummy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Merkin wrote: »
    Just serve her to the rest of the meat eaters, problem solved :)

I CANNOT wait for all food related activities at Christmas! Back home to Ireland for a big family Christmas so I intend to be like Elvis at an all-you-can eat buffet and make an exhibition of myself in a show of sheer gluttony. Not pregnant like last year so really looking forward to all the crab claws, jumbo prawns and other shellfish on offer, yummy!!!

I am hoping my appetite comes back before Christmas or I'll be one very disappointed lady if I can't horse into the goose fat roasties!! However my mam thinks that would be poetic justice as I was born on Christmas Day and she didn't get a Christmas dinner at all that year!

Has anybody tried Lidl's lobster bisque? Was thinking of picking some up as an alternative to the smoked salmon and brown bread we normally have for starters

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the name of the chocolate treat that is like firm marhmellow covered in chocolate? Its not the snow balls and they're not the ones with biscuit at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Does anyone know the name of the chocolate treat that is like firm marhmellow covered in chocolate? Its not the snow balls and they're not the ones with biscuit at the bottom.

Vo Vo's :pac: ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Like the chocolate kimberly?

Nope not them, there is no biscuit, just white stuff covered in chocolate.

I am craving them and want to order some in for when Im home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Tea cakes have the biscuit - are they not just called chocolate mallows?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

There is a great blog from an Irish veggie boardsie fillefatale (although she has gone quiet on the blog this year) and her Christmas dinner recipes are lovely.

As a new user I can't post a link so go to vagabondlanguage dot blogspot dot com and click on the tag 'Christmas' in the left hand column.

The butternut squash gratin in particular looks mighty tasty.

1 large butternut squash (500g needed)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed, or finely grated
    175ml double or regular cream
    75g Parmesan or Gruyere cheese, finely grated
    1 litre (1 3/4 pint) pie dish

1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
    2. Using a sharp knife, peel the skin of the butternut squash. Remove all seeds, and cut into fine slices about 5mm (a quarter of an inch) thick.
    3. Layer the slices of squash into the pie dish and season with salt and pepper.
    4. Place the garlic and cream in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and then pour over the squash in the dish. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
    5. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour, removing the foil after 30 minutes of cooking time. When cooked, the butternut squash should be soft and the top golden and bubbly.

Her mushroom wellington although fiddly looks pretty beautiful too:

Mushroom Wellington (Makes 2)

600g puff pastry (I used read-rolled pastry, Jus Rol is suitable for vegans)
    50ml flavourless vegetable oil

675g chopped onions

450g whole chestnut mushrooms
    2 tbsp fresh or dried tarragon
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    4 tbsp soya sauce or tamari, or replace one with marsala or sherry

320g broken cashew pieces

320g ground almonds

175g fine freshly made breadcrumbs, white or wholemeal

1 egg, beaten for glazing (omit for vegans)
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Roll out the pastry into two rectangles, 23x30.5cm each, cover and place in the fridge, if you're using ready made, no need to do this as its all been done for you! To make the filling, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion with half the crushed garlic for at least 20 minutes or until it turns a deep golden colour.

2. Remove onions from the pan and set aside, then add the mushrooms to the same pan with the rest of the garlic and half the tarragon and cook on a fairly high heat. Halfway through cooking, add the soya sauce or tamari and the alcohol, if you are using it. Continue until the mushrooms are cooked through; there should be no white centre left when you cut one open.
 I cut mine in two halfway through cooking to ensure they were cooked throughly.

3. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside, reserving all the mushroom liquor (the intensely flavoured liquid given out by the mushrooms). If you have too little liquid, add some water to the pan and swirl around until it combines with the mushroom liquid. In a food processor or blender, blend the cashews with the reserved mushroom liquor to a fine, smooth purée, adding a little water or even more of whichever alcohol you are using, until you have a smooth, sweet paste or pate.

4. Remove mixture from the blender and blend first the onions, then mushrooms – you can mix them up if you wish – until they are perfectly smooth. Mix all the blended ingredients together in a bowl, adding the breadcrumbs, ground almonds and the remaining tarragon. The mixture should gently hold its shape when formed with the hands. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Remove the pastry from the fridge.

5. Divide the mixture in two and place one lot on a sheet of pastry, shaping with your hands as you go to make a long rectangular shape about 28cm long, 7cm wide and about 5cm high. With the thin point of a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts at a 45-degree angle, starting from the left hand corner of the pastry towards the pate mixture. Repeat on the other side, this time starting at the top right hand corner and cutting down towards the centre.

6. The strips should now be about 2cm apart. Fold in the end pieces first. Then draw a strip over from the left, then one from the right, crossing them over so the mix is snugly wrapped up. Repeat for the second wellington.
 Either freeze at this stage or glaze generously with beaten egg. Place upon a floured tray, using two fish slices or the loose base of a tart tin to help you.

7. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes before attempting to lift onto a serving dish. Allow 2 slices per person, cut with a very sharp serrated knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Could someone talk me through brining a turkey? it'll be our first year at home as a family and I've never cooked a turkey but I can't stand dry meat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's a thread on it here, though I'm still concerned I'll make a mess of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056807155

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Very excited for our Christmas goose! And the yummy toasties. And mash. And croquettes. And lots of peas. And carrots. And gravy. And falling asleep in front of the telly 20 mins after dinner is over. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

My brother's partner is due on Christmas Day, so all going according to plan there'll no doubt be a lot of big baby, small turkey jokes!

That means he won't be home for Christmas unfortunately :( Which means it's only grown ups this year (he's a baby in our house but in his late twenties!!)

So to start we will will be having the usual prawn cocktail because myself and my dad love it and the others will be having this http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/individual-smoked-salmon-terrines all with homemade melba toast some of which we will burn when we forget to keep an eye on the grill, it's tradition! :p

Then turkey with all the trimmings. Plum pudding with brandy butter and cream for dessert.

Cheese and damson gin for those who can fit it. Also going to buy myself a bottle of Elysium to drink with chocolates later.

I can't fecking wait!!

Advertisement