Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is curvy?

• 13-10-2005 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Every womens magazine on the shelves at the moment seem to devote their covers to the curvy vs skinny girl debate. I've seen celebs ranging from Charlotte Church to JLo to Jessica Alba to a slightly less emaciated Lindsey Lohan held up as the poster girl for this body fad. Indeed previous threads on topics related to womens body shape seem to refer to a male preference for curvy ladies. What I want to know is what is curvy? And is this the perfect body shape that we should all be aspiring to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

daveirl wrote:
    That's and interesting point; I suppose magazine don't want to be critisised for making women weight concious so they champion slightly more regular sized celebs and still show pictures of your Nicole Richies for people to obsess over.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably something like this:

039_32047.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I think im going to be rather blunt on this. When most lads say "oh yeah i rather a curvy lady then a skinny one". What this means is they want a lady with a nice two hand fulls of breasts , nice ass that you can get your hands around. Simple as that.Skinny girls lack this , and bigger girls have too much excess for your hands.

curvy too me is simple = slim figure , big breasts , nice round ass.

sorry if this is blunt but best way i could put it , and hey were all adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

as far as i can gather, when guys say curvy they mean:

stick thin + big boobs + ass

none of them actually want a curvy girl. given the choice most would probably choose no ass or boobs over extra weight

• Advertisement

Seraphina wrote:
    given the choice most would probably choose no ass or boobs over extra weight

No i like something to hold.I really mean that but depends how it is carried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

daveirl wrote:
    I don't think so.. I think most "fat people" are more round in shape, and don't have the hips and chest that are as defined as curvy. So blaming curves on being unfit and lazy isn't necessarily true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Sarge wrote:
    curvy too me is simple = slim figure , big breasts , nice round ass.

Seraphina wrote:
    stick thin + big boobs + ass

none of them actually want a curvy girl. given the choice most would probably choose no ass or boobs over extra weight

I hate the way you say that Seraphina as if we're all dikheads for liking women a particular way!

I have noticed it's always the larger ladies that have a thing against men who like women the way they like their women. And they often begrudge the women the men like. Wipe that chip off your shoulder.

I agree with Sarge by the by, you want a girl with a body, not too much bonus flab, a decent handful of titty and a "nice round ass"...

Ideally :D

Oh and another thing is, at least when men see a bloke who might be considered a good catch they say "fair play" and give him a pat on the back...
    With women, they'll look, and scowl, and go on and on bitching. It's pathetic... and fat gurls are always the worst! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

...I agree. I reackon when men say curves they mean tiny waist, skinny legs and arms with big breasts and a round ass, Jessica Simpson style, despite the fact she's about 7 1/2 stone. This whole 'curvy is best' is just an excuse for fat people to feel better about themselves. Kate Winslet in that pic has a tiny waist and can't weigh more than 8 1/2 stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well, what I've found is that some girls who are just fat all over, I mean fat waist, fat ass, those real saggy fat full breasts refer to themselves as "bubbly", while the girls who have like a fat ass but still have a curve to their fat waist and a larger bra size refer to themselves as "curvacious(sp?)".
    Now, then there's the girls who are actually curvy,such as jessica simpson as mentioned above and they're the "curvy" type that guys like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

daveirl wrote:

I don't honestly think large people need to justify their life-style to you.

Weight isn't really a health issue when we're talking about being only slightly overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

curvy =

1. nice cleavage
    2. a waist
    3. no ribs visible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes. Curvy = hot girl who is not skinny.

It does not mean overweight or fat. It does not apply to mingers who are not skinny.

daveirl wrote:

When did I say she was slightly overweight? Did she even come up?

I said when we're talking about the scope of what people call "curvy", it generally never gets fat enough to be considered to be unhealthy.

People don't decide to be obese, and that is terribly offensive. Of course, for your point of view where you don't have to care why people get so big in the first place, it's a perfectly valid comment in the first place. Moon explained it all in the other topic. If you want to fling more guilt and use whatever knowledge you've been spoon-fed, fine, but don't expect me to take you seriously.

Seriously, go bug Smokers. That's just as bad, if not worse, than being "Obese". Not to mention it's actually easier to beat smoking than being heavily overweight for a lot of people, and at least with smoking there is often some kind of choice at the start of it.

Out of interest, I keep hearing of how obsese people are taking up hospital beds; but is it always for obesity related diseases, or are many "grey-areas" being passed off to guilt people into loosing weight?

Not to mention that obesity doesn't automatically give you any diseases, and no, not even diabetes. If you have a heart problem, being overweight will put strain on that. It increases the risk of things, fair enough, but so does smoking, drinking, and just about whatever we do. Obese people are being used as a scapegoat because it's so easy to get people to look down on them.

Yes, it can be a problem, but no, you're not helping, by saying that obese people are inferior the way they are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think curvy is fat but still a nice shape and sexy, basically a slightly fat girl whom pulls it off to work for her....the best kinda girls imo :D

Rozie wrote:
    Seriously, go bug Smokers. That's just as bad, if not worse, than being "Obese". Not to mention it's actually easier to beat smoking than being heavily overweight for a lot of people, and at least with smoking there is often some kind of choice at the start of it.

No,it's a HELL of a lot easier to lose weight than quit smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I could rant about daveirl's comment about fat people being lazy but I won't, curvy I think, is decent chest, with a proper fitting bra, hips and slight shape on ass, not a runway but not a speed barrier either. and stomach just barely toned...

rb_ie wrote:
    No,it's a HELL of a lot easier to lose weight than quit smoking.

So, have you both stopped smoking AND tried to stop beng heavily obese? Honestly?

Though it is different for everyone, really.

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    I hate the way you say that Seraphina as if we're all dikheads for liking women a particular way!

I have noticed it's always the larger ladies that have a thing against men who like women the way they like their women. And they often begrudge the women the men like. Wipe that chip off your shoulder.

and fat gurls are always the worst! :eek:

so you've deduced from my post that i'm a bitchy fat girl with a chip on my shoulder?

nice going. i'm far from it btw.
    i was being honest and realistic from what i've gathered from my numerous male friends and societies general opinion, thats all. i begrudge no one, everyone has their good and bad points.

i'm just pointing out that when guys say curvy, they generally dont mean it the way most women understand it. /me shrugs

and rb_ie, it all depends on your metabolism. for some people it's alot more difficult to loose weight then others. men loose weight alot more easily, whereas women are more prone to storing it, especially around the hips/stomach.

Why is it offensive, I've never ever ever met an obese person who didn't eat a ridiculous amount of unhealthy foods. Sure there are people who are obese for valid reasons such as thyroid trouble but that's only a small percentage. Could you explain to me how someone goes to bed some day and they're slim and the next day they're obese. Answer it doesn't happen. People put on weight because they lead an unhealthy life.

You really don't know much about what causes weight gain if you think only extreme cases are valid.

Do you think drug addicts should be allowed to be guilt free, why do you think obese people should be afforded that priviledge.[/quote]

I don't wish to offend drug addicts, but at some point you wish to try a drug. Whereas we're eating all the time and obesity can be caused by just about anything.

The fact is obese people, even the ones with the thyroid problems, DO eat a lot of food.

I know a few obese people who would swear on the bible that they eat hardly any food, but I know about their secret junk food stashes/binges.

Obese = Lots of bad food.

No more excuses!

Daveirl, I strongly suggest you read this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3479814&postcount=140

dublindude wrote:
    The fact is obese people, even the ones with the thyroid problems, DO eat a lot of food.

I know a few obese people who would swear on the bible that they eat hardly any food, but I know about their secret junk food stashes/binges.

Obese = Lots of bad food.

No more excuses!

Exactly.

rb_ie wrote:
    Exactly.

And it's absolutely beyond a doubt their fault they eat more than other people? And do you even know a damn thing about metabolisms?

Honestly, you've probably never been fat, and if you have you were probably luckier than most in your attempt to loose weight. You're passing judgment on something you've no idea about to please yourself and make yourselves feel better. You don't know what you're talking about.

The blatantly obvious truth is that you don't want to know, you like having people to look down on.

But, regardless, I'll post this link again; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3479814&postcount=140

Since she's a lot more mild mannered than I am.

Rozie wrote:
    And it's absolutely beyond a doubt their fault they eat more than other people?
    Who's fault is it then?Who's MAKING them eat all the sh1t they do?Who's MAKING them choose to eat crap full of sugar, or McDonalds?It is their own fault, they can blame who they like but at the end of the day it's their choice as to what they eat.
    Rozie wrote:
    Honestly, you've probably never been fat, and if you have you were probably luckier than most in your attempt to loose weight. You're passing judgment on something you've no idea about to please yourself and make yourselves feel better. You don't know what you're talking about.
    I was fat(not obese though, 13stone at 5"11) once upon a time and there was nothing lucky about my attempt at loosing weight. I simply set myself a goal and target weight, then adjusted my diet and ate right and cut out the crap food. Added with a bit of exercise the weight fell off me.Oh it was so hard :rolleyes: No, it was probably the easiest thing I've ever had to do (regarding my health).
    Rozie wrote:
    The blatantly obvious truth is that you don't want to know, you like having people to look down on.
    Oh so obvious :rolleyes:
    I don't respect people who have no control over themselves.Sorry :rolleyes:

Rozie wrote:
    And it's absolutely beyond a doubt their fault they eat more than other people? And do you even know a damn thing about metabolisms?

For the record I can lose weight very easily so I understand I'm "lucky".

But the fact of the matter is fat people eat a lot of food. There are no excuses. No one is forcing them. They are just... weak.

Although - I have no problem with fat people who are happy to be fat (i.e. don't give a ****). It's the ones with the excuses that piss me off. Yes, fat people who cry about being fat piss me off.

Who's fault is it then?Who's MAKING them eat all the sh1t they do?Who's MAKING them choose to eat crap full of sugar, or McDonalds?It is their own fault, they can blame who they like but at the end of the day it's their choice as to what they eat.

Nobody's making a morphine addict inject, either, y'know.
    I was fat(not obese though, 13stone at 5"11) once upon a time and there was nothing lucky about my attempt at loosing weight. I simply set myself a goal and target weight, then adjusted my diet and ate right and cut out the crap food. Added with a bit of exercise the weight fell off me.Oh it was so hard No, it was probably the easiest thing I've ever had to do (regarding my health).

13 stone at 5"11 is fat?!? I'm 16 stone at 5"11 and nobody seems to think I'm fat(I do have a large frame though).

Honestly, I think the healthy weight for 5"11 is somewhere around 12 stone anyway, or not far below it.

And of course, like the good little person you are, you presume it's the same for everyone else as it is for you.
    Oh so obvious
    I don't respect people who have no control over themselves.Sorry

Then I have no respect for you as a human being. There are far too many things wrong with that completely arrogant sentence to get into.c
    For the record I can lose weight very easily so I understand I'm "lucky".

But the fact of the matter is fat people eat a lot of food. There are no excuses. No one is forcing them. They are just... weak.

They're weak. If ever I needed an example for a rather pathetic supriority complex, this is it.

And nobody who's posted who's been obese, or even particularily unhealthily overweight, that's managed to loose it. There's a difference between piling on a few pounds, and the more complex reasons behind obesity.

Honestly, if you're going to keep with these insults nobody has any right accuse me of being pushy. But oh right, I forgot, they should have thought about that that day they decided to be obese. You know, that day that didn't happen because it's a whole load of rubbish?
    Although - I have no problem with fat people who are happy to be fat (i.e. don't give a ****). It's the ones with the excuses that piss me off. Yes, fat people who cry about being fat piss me off.

Quite frankly then, I think you're an insensitive prick with no respect for other people's struggles unless they meet your own set of double standards.

I dispise that because you're the exact kind that would say transsexuality is a choice too, ignoring just about every point of research that says otherwise.

• Advertisement

Rozie you are totally misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Although the bit where you say "you're the exact kind that would say transsexuality is a choice too, ignoring just about every point of research that says otherwise" makes me realise you are insane, so this conversation is over as far as I'm concerned!

Rozie wrote:
    I dispise that because you're the exact kind that would say transsexuality is a choice too, ignoring just about every point of research that says otherwise.

what is it with your and your transsexuality?!
    it has NOTHING to do with the arguement!

Seraphina wrote:

Don't you just love the internet? Arguing with a "not by choice" transsexual about obese people.

WOO!!! :)

Seraphina wrote:
    i hope i can change today...

hi sepraphina , ive made my comment in tis arguement , but im wondering what your looking to change ?

Sarge wrote:
    hi sepraphina , ive made my comment in tis arguement , but im wondering what your looking to change ?

bit off topic - tis from a Katatonia song - Passing Bird.
    eh yeah its far too long and complicated and personal to get into on a public board :)

Seraphina wrote:
    bit off topic - tis from a Katatonia song - Passing Bird.
    eh yeah its far too long and complicated and personal to get into on a public board :)

Going to have to download this now :)

• Advertisement

Seraphina wrote:

I love this kind of reaction - no doubt someone will go on to say what an attention whore I am for daring make reference to it, than I'm constantly looking for sympathy, etc., which is pure ****. Did you even bother to read the context it was in? It was a perfectly valid example. As a person who happens to have things going on in their life(which I should hope is the case for everyone), I used an example I Knew a lot about.

I really, really despise the way I can't even mention something like that without being called an attention whore. Yes, I do bring it up a lot, but only because it's dominating my life right now and thus is the easiest comparison for me to draw in many situations. Not to mention I'm not the one who even brought it up in this argument(s).
    Rozie you are totally misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Although the bit where you say "you're the exact kind that would say transsexuality is a choice too, ignoring just about every point of research that says otherwise" makes me realise you are insane, so this conversation is over as far as I'm concerned!

Why does it make me insane, exactly? It was a perfectly valid example.

Right ive been following this thread very careful and i think its gone off the original topic an awful lot. Lets bring it back to the original topic. what is curvy to you and drop the references to your transexuality it has noting to do with the question .

Rozie wrote:
    Nobody's making a morphine addict inject, either, y'know.
    Stupid comment I think I'll CHOOSE to ignore it.

Rozie wrote:
    13 stone at 5"11 is fat?!? I'm 16 stone at 5"11 and nobody seems to think I'm fat(I do have a large frame though).
    I'm 11.2 stone now at 6"1, I've broad shoulders but I'm continuing to try to get my body fat under 10%. I'd consider my current weight healthy, and my previous weight unhealthy(for me).
    Rozie wrote:
    And of course, like the good little person you are, you presume it's the same for everyone else as it is for you.
    No, everyone is different and I respect that. BUT, at 6"1 if someone's bodyfat level were over 25%, then I'd class them as obese. I don't go by weight, I go by bodyfat.
    Rozie wrote:
    They're weak. If ever I needed an example for a rather pathetic supriority complex, this is it.
    If they can't stop themselves eating crap foods which are proven to be bad for them, then yes, they are weak.

Dublindude: WOO!Go Internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Moonspheres

rb_ie wrote:
    Oh so obvious :rolleyes:
    I don't respect people who have no control over themselves.Sorry :rolleyes:

So tell me, do you equate being obese with having "NO control over one's self?"

It doesn't make sense to me. There are an infinite number of facets in each individual's life. Weight is only one of them but it is so important to you that it overshadows all else? You cannot respect a person who is fat?

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong?

Sarge wrote:
    Right ive been following this thread very careful and i think its gone off the original topic an awful lot.

Lol it took a turn off that road a looong time ago!

• Advertisement

Stupid comment I think I'll CHOOSE to ignore it.

How is it a stupid comment? Or is a valid comment that you're ignoring because you know I have a damn good point you can't counter?
    No, everyone is different and I respect that. BUT, at 6"1 if someone's bodyfat level were over 25%, then I'd class them as obese. I don't go by weight, I go by bodyfat.

25% is a relatively low number(To class someone as obese)... it depends where that fat gets put.
    If they can't stop themselves eating crap foods which are proven to be bad for them, then yes, they are weak.

Only because you say so. You have no idea what it's like to see or feel things from their point of view.

Regardless, this isn't going anywhere. It's best to keep it to the "Big Girls" topic.

Rozie wrote:
    25% is a relatively low number(To class someone as obese)... it depends where that fat gets put.
    Em, sorry, if 25%+ of your body is fat you are not healthy. Look it up, I didn't make that figure up.

Damnit I forgot to put in there's a difference between guys and girls. :rolleyes:

I knew I was right when it came to guys though :D

Just read the link that i posted here. Also if your scroll down you can work out your body fat . Mine is 14% which im surprised about , im going to try and get that down too about 10% is perfect , I must admit 25% is a lot lets be honest. I will explain this like im a child. 1 quater of your body is fat ! enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hhhmm I dunno about 25% BF being obese.

I'm 6 1"in height, broad build, 15 stone and my body fat is close to 25%, however I wouldn't consider myself obese, ran the Paris marathon in April and would consider myself reasonably fit and healthy.

Somebody please tell me I'm not obese, the lads at football will crack up if it turns out I am!!!!!

Am I fooling myself??

Hhhmm I dunno about 25% BF being obese.

I'm 6 1"in height, broad build, 15 stone and my body fat is close to 25%, however I wouldn't consider myself obese, ran the Paris marathon in April and would consider myself reasonably fit and healthy.

Somebody please tell me I'm not obese, the lads at football will crack up if it turns out I am!!!!!

Am I fooling myself??

the like of these tests and the BMI are no good if you do any weight training what so ever if you want a accurate count consult your GP

Sarge wrote:
    the like of these tests and the BMI are no good if you do any weight training what so ever if you want a accurate count consult your GP

or your gym, they'll do measurements for you.
    Actually, I think there's an instrument you can buy to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Thanks Sarge, but I checked out my Bfat at the gym yesterday and it is in the 23-25% range. I'm actually quite worried about it now.

Thanks Sarge, but I checked out my Bfat at the gym yesterday and it is in the 23-25% range. I'm actually quite worried about it now.

Consult the fitness forum, they'll most likely give some great suggestions as to how do drop it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement