Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League TV Rights 2013/2016

• 04-05-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

The Premier League have invited broadcasters to bid for domestic UK broadcast rights for the 2013/14-2015/16 football seasons.

The Premier League say that 154 matches will be shown live on TV each season from 2013/14-2015/16 more than currently broadcast and more than 40% of all top-level matches. The extra 16 live games comes as matches are moved away from Saturday 3pm kick-off times, due to Europa League involvement or police advice.

The rights put out to tender include :
    •Live rights to a total of 154 matches – split into seven packages.
    •A Free-to-Air Highlights package – including ‘catch-up’ rights.

The live rights are split into seven packages – five of 26 games and two of 12 games. The maximum number of games any broadcaster is allowed to acquire is 116 games.

A Premier League statement said : “This creates a more attractive and compelling offering for both broadcasters and fans; whilst allowing the continued protection of the Saturday 3pm ‘closed window’ and minimizing further displacement of Premier League fixtures,”.

A separate sales process will be conducted for the other packages including :
    •Two “Near Live” long form packages each containing 226 matches; one for linear and the other for on-demand exploitation.
    •An Internet-based Clips package for all 380 matches.

Sky Sports currently enjoy dominance in the pay TV football market holding the rights to 115 live games per season whilst ESPN screen 23 live matches. Some commentators have suggested that Qatar-based broadcaster Al Jazeera could express an interest in live UK Premier League rights after recently outbidding Canal Plus for rights to French domestic football. The BBC are current rights holders of the free-to-air highlights package.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It'd be very interesting if any one other than Sky wins the rights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

They better paully or I'll be out of a job!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sky to get 5 packages- ESPN 2 -BBC highlights. Setanta to to retain Saturday 3pm rights here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed badabing, I can't see sky getting any less than 5 packages which will probably just coincidentally add up to 116 games! Espn to get the other 2 packages.

The formula works and it won't change I don't think. Even if al jazeera were to win it, they'd need someone to actually deliver it to people so sky would be quids in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Would like a FTA package, unlikely though. Remember when RTE had 3pm games for a while? Although if I remember correctly, they weren't on every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

flyswatter wrote: »
    Would like a FTA package, unlikely though. Remember when RTE had 3pm games for a while? Although if I remember correctly, they weren't on every week.

If I remember correctly, they only showed Manchester United at home! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

flyswatter wrote: »

At one stage they actually use to show just the second half of a game, those were the good ole days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NUTZZ wrote: »
    At one stage they actually use to show just the second half of a game, those were the good ole days!

They used to show delayed coverage that started at 3,30, I avoided all media until then so as not to spoil the action.

AFAIK Al Jazeera have decided not to bid for the rights,I reckon it'll be the same as we already have with Sky being the main player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭DenMan

Be great if RTE or TV3 showed live Premier League games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DenMan wrote: »
    Be great if RTE or TV3 showed live Premier League games.

Would you pay a licence fee for 2 to 300 quid to see this happen?

RTE showed a game tonight, it was excellent. Some super football played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭DenMan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Would you pay a licence fee for 2 to 300 quid to see this happen?

RTE showed a game tonight, it was excellent. Some super football played.

The licence fee is expensive enough as it is and the quality of programming is dire at best. RTE used to do it years ago. It was a very good game, well done Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Setanta won that licence and took it off RTÉ. Don't miss it at all!

Advertisement