Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options
  • 03-05-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden? Is there new scientific evidence published?

Just 15-20 years ago the only headline grabbing climate change stories were from Al Gore's spurious catastrophic predictions for the future (many of which failed to occur of course). But now there is no escaping it. We are being bombarded with climate crisises left, right and centre all of a sudden, but they don't seem to have any substantial basis whatsoever. Yet the global hysteria is mind boggling, from huge protests, to bold political promises, to no-meat mondays to Birthstrikers (yes, there are women who refuse to have children because there won't be an earth here for them to grow up on... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/12/birthstrikers-meet-the-women-who-refuse-to-have-children-until-climate-change-ends)

If someone says that the earth is flat or the moonlandings were faked, or 911 was an inside job, we point and laugh at them, say they need to put on their tin-foil hat and then move their thread to the conspiracy forum. Yet, a climate change activist can spew the most baseless claims and they get applauded and put on a pedestal.

Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Look at this extreme weather over here lads and don't be looking at the printing the paper money with nothing backing it over there

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's pushed as a means of taxation. Look at nearly everything extra you're paying now, it's mostly environmental bollocks.

_

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Its May and 4 degrees out lad. This aint normal

What about scientists with PhD’s publicizing their research? Is that unbelievable to you? In my experience, most skeptics were people who have not taken a single science class after secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s not sudden. People are only starting to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

Lots of things are happening if you know where to look.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/03/climate-crisis-is-about-to-put-humanity-at-risk-un-scientists-warn

I think the ramp up is due to to fact that we could be hitting the point of no return.

It’s not going to be the case like Hollywood movies show, I think it will be gradual thing that creeps up on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As children it was the Cold War four minute warning etc

If it wasn't for fear people might start living

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

sk8erboii wrote: »
    What about scientists with PhD’s publicizing their research? Is that unbelievable to you? In my experience, most skeptics were people who have not taken a single science class after secondary school.
    I know a lot of PhD's. I would give more worth to toilet paper than to their thesises.

I think whats pissing me off is the hypocrisy, especially from (admittedly mostly female) people at work who drone on about what a disaster it is, and how we're not doing enough and yet they, in their range rovers, guzzle away the diesel of which the fumes have proven links to asthma

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a LOT of focus on climate change right now, for better or worse.
    Although I agree with you on the hysteria, there seem to be a lot of evidence for it, well if you believe NASA that is.
    https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

That said, when you hear about shrinking ice sheets from NASA page, they also say on another
    A major Greenland glacier that was one of the fastest-shrinking ice and snow masses on Earth is growing again, a NASA study has found.

It is probably inevitable that humans affect the planet, the question is to what extent, and what do we do to slow it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Its not sudden. Its not hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I've watched 40 years of this climate change nonsense.
    Academics justifying their existence end governments using it as a way to introduce new taxes.
    Carbon taxes will fix the world,, ye right
    Man hasn't been around long enough and records don't go back far enough, who cause the last ice age??
    Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

We're f*cked, lads!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What's the name in bio systems for when the domino effect kinda hits the critical point there's no coming back from. i thought it was getting worse and we're approaching that
    cascade! that one

There probably is a political drive behind it, taxes etc, but it's an awful lot to gamble on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Lot of these people making a living out of the global warming fear factory, the likes of the politicians and scientists are up on jet airliners in the first class section all weeks of the year helping spew jet airline fuel emissions into the very sky they telling us all we need to protect. This is where you can literally witness the bull$hit. If they honestly care so much why don't they start walking and swimming to get to their worldwide gigs?
    That because they don't. Its nothing but a gig. It probably is happening, but these f**kers don't actually care.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Academics justifying their existence end governments using it as a way to introduce new taxes.
    Man hasn't been around long enough and records don't go back far enough, who cause the last ice age??

Thanks Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In your 40 years of armchair observing, what taxes have been pushed in the name of climate change?

earth_temperature_timeline.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s what the dinosaurs said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot of the nonsense some spout about this being a normal cycle etc completely ignored the fact we've never had 6bn, soon to be 8bn, humans on the planet.

dem academics and liberals need to shut up. Only god can save us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

How can anyone who lives on this island deny it when we were hit with eastern most Atlantic hurricane

That is most certainly not normal

QQmgVwI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

noodler wrote: »
    In your 40 years of armchair observing, what taxes have been pushed in the name of climate change?
    I suppose the motor tax for vehicles on the basis of CO2 bands could be considered "climate change tax".

noodler wrote: »

Carbon taxes and environmental Levy's

biko wrote: »
    I suppose the motor tax for vehicles on the basis of CO2 bands could be considered "climate change tax".

Yes as well as Carbon taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What I don't get is this presentation that the people of the future won't be able to adapt to the planet as it changes and that we have to try and stop it changing.

If the polar ice caps melt and the gulf stream goes south and Ireland has a climate like everyone else at this latitude don't you think our decenants will be able to cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

biko wrote: »

Pity people still refer to it as road tax then even though road tax hasn’t been in existence for decades upon decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?
    Like most people that fall for a cause on mass, because it is trendy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'll believe that politicians and lefty celebrities believe in climate change when they ban private jets and eliminate business and first class travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

As children it was the Cold War four minute warning etc

If it wasn't for fear people might start living

Absolutely, I remember well the fear of Nuclear war back in the 80s, the fear was real, it was visceral, and it was oppressive, then it evaporated almost as if it never had happened.

I don't doubt for a second that the worlds climate is changing (IT IS), but hasn't it changed before? What about the "Little ice age" in the 1700s with people skating on the Thames with 8" of ice, and what about the last great ice age too when the Mammoths died out? Then on the other hand, what about the hot Roman vineyards in the North of England 2000 years ago! and the subsequent cooling of the planet again . . .

The earth has always heated up & cooled down since it was formed billions of years ago, and currently its on a warming up trajectory, aided no doubt by our man made emissions.

Definitely a climate of hysteria and herd mentality about having to subscribe to the notion the CLIMATE CHANGE IS MAN MADE !!! and that if you don't subscribe to this theory, then you're branded a "Climate change denier" a la poor old David Bellamy (remember him) who dared to put suggest that Climate Change was part of Planet Earths cyclical nature (possibly speeded up) thanks to our burning of fossil fuels plus our Co2 emissions.
    So even the suggestion that CC might be part of the planets cyclical nature is heresy :(

Yes summers are getting hotter, winters getting milder, and the ice caps are melting, while its also interesting to note that that massive hole in the Ozone layer (remember that 1990s scare) is currently getting smaller ...

Cutting Co2 emissions won't do any harm to our climate, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

C-IY3qRUQAAlVRm.jpg

Advertisement